Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Defender Technical Discussions (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Missing cover......now oil leak. (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/missing-cover-now-oil-leak-54498.html)

azspeed June 23rd, 2014 12:08 PM

Missing cover......now oil leak.
 
2 Attachment(s)
Trying to pinpoint some of the oil leaks on my 85 2.5 NA, after pressure washing/degreasing the motor I climbed underneath to find what appears to be a missing panel/cover/???? on the front side of the oil pan beneath the crank pulley where there is a healthy oil leak coming out. Does anyone else with a 2.5 NA know what is supposed to go there? I've attached a picture, from my diagnosis there are 4 holes where a cover could be secured, however if it just means oil will then be pooling inside than that may not be the solution either. Thanks in advance.

slorocco June 23rd, 2014 12:19 PM

I think that goes into your timing belt area. If so, I'd want it covered better than that. Maybe make a cover with a small drain hole init. However, if you have a ton of oil leaking into that space you may have bigger problems.

moose June 23rd, 2014 06:51 PM

This is a shot of my 2.5NA diesel. You do seem to be missing the cover/wading plug.


http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps0d5b46f0.jpg



Brett

roverman2010 June 23rd, 2014 07:24 PM

You gots your self a leaking crank/cam shaft seal there my old son, just finished doing one like that.

If it is a small leak don't plug it up till you get it fixed, timing belts don't like sitting in oil for too long, you can combine this fix with a belt change as it looks like you just got the 90, you can do all this with the engine in place.

ranewman June 23rd, 2014 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverman2010 (Post 540167)
You gots your self a leaking crank/cam shaft seal there my old son, just finished doing one like that.

If it is a small leak don't plug it up till you get it fixed, timing belts don't like sitting in oil for too long, you can combine this fix with a belt change as it looks like you just got the 90, you can do all this with the engine in place.

Yuppers. Time to pull the front cover and do that timing belt/oil seal thing. Pretty straight fwd. If you dont have a locking pin for the flywheel....a 6 mm allen works very well.

Uncle Douglas June 23rd, 2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranewman (Post 540170)
Yuppers. Time to pull the front cover and do that timing belt/oil seal thing. Pretty straight fwd. If you dont have a locking pin for the flywheel....a 6 mm allen works very well.

Sell him the missing cover Rick, you have a half dozen spares.

Daddymow June 23rd, 2014 09:19 PM

Instead of trying to fix that turd sitting in your engine bay, replace it with a 200tdi or an OM617. Hell, even a half dozen hamsters from your local pet store will pull better than that dirty, smelly, under powered, leaky 2.5 ltr shit box of a motor.

ranewman June 24th, 2014 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddymow (Post 540212)
Instead of trying to fix that turd sitting in your engine bay, replace it with a 200tdi or an OM617. Hell, even a half dozen hamsters from your local pet store will pull better than that dirty, smelly, under powered, leaky 2.5 ltr shit box of a motor.

Leaky? Really? Mine dont leak....or smell any more. Now...the slow part....well....dam. :icon_peace::icon_peace::icon_peace:

Daddymow June 24th, 2014 08:05 AM

Give it time :)

azspeed June 24th, 2014 08:35 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did just purchase it, and actually had the timing belt changed, but not the seal, hindsight..... I guess it'll be coming off again. I would love to drop a 200TDI in it, but at this point, it's not worth the investment to me. The motor still runs and drives great, so I'm just gonna fix the oil leaks and enjoy it as is.

ranewman June 26th, 2014 06:13 AM

Well...if you where closer we could do this together. Seems mine yacked the new cam seal last pm. I am getting kinda good at this front cover/timing thing.
@ Raub: I will go to a LR3/4 before a 200tdi!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.