Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Defender Technical Discussions (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Importing this 86 D90 (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/importing-this-86-d90-53896.html)

tijnes May 24th, 2014 01:55 PM

Importing this 86 D90

4 Attachment(s)
I've found this truck in Europe and was wondering if I'm going to run into issues importing it in the US. With all the scary stories of people getting into trouble with customs etc I'd like a second opinion before I pull the trigger.

It's a 86 titled 2.5 NA diesel with the original engine and trans. The vin decoder says it is built in 83-84.The truck has been freshly painted and has a complete new interior and alloy wheels. Other than the engine it looks like a new truck and I'm worried that this will cause problems.

What do you think

Thanks
Martijn

leastonce May 24th, 2014 02:02 PM

I'd be worried too ... But rather than invite the 'wisdom' of the internet to opine over your dilemma is recommend you contact a professional and seek actual advice that is valuable.

Doug Crowther seems a well recommended person round here. Perhaps start by sending him a PM.

Jpayne May 24th, 2014 03:55 PM

Look at vin decoder to see if it was RHD. Since it is now LHD that might be enough to cause an issue

jafir May 24th, 2014 04:03 PM

Looks ex-mod.

I don't think the VIN does a good job on model year for those. Mine was imported as an 87, but the VIN suggests it's older. I'm tempted to send off for the heritage report to see when it was really built.

tijnes May 24th, 2014 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
According to the Vin decoder it's a original LHD. It belonged to the Forestry Dept. so not ex-MOD .

I've had a friend check it out in person and it all seems to add up. Logically it should have no issue getting in the country. Unfortunately logic doesn't always work for government agencies.

jafir May 24th, 2014 04:32 PM

It's got MOD style rear lights and front bumper. It's also got some curious checker plate on the front wings that only covers the front half, like they are trying to cover up the holes left by the bonnet latches or antenna mounts. And it's got jate rings.

Maybe the forestry service got it surplus from MOD?

Is the rear diff pan painted white? Is there an information plate on the side of the seat box, maybe under any interior trim that is there?

tijnes May 24th, 2014 09:08 PM

Differential pan is not painted white. I don't have a picture of the info plate here.

However even if it is ex-mod will that make a difference on it passing customs?

jafir May 24th, 2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tijnes (Post 533103)
Differential pan is not painted white. I don't have a picture of the info plate here. However even if it is ex-mod will that make a difference on it passing customs?

I wouldn't think so. I was just trying to explain the VIN.

Uncle Douglas May 24th, 2014 09:51 PM

Martijn has already decided not to utilize my services/advice so I should hold my tongue.

That said, it does the community no good to have another seizure happen, regardless. So I will make a few statements, ignore them if you wish. Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

US Customs advance targeting officers have commented that they follow this forum. US DOT can only grant an exemption/waiver to a 25yr old truck if it is all original.

DOT's import dividion have published opinions specific to Land Rovers indicating that push button doors and alloy wheels and updated interior bits on earlier model year trucks are considered to be updates by their department and as such a vehicle with these changes would not be eligible to enter the US.

That opinion letter from DOT's import division's counsel is posted on the web and is available/meant to be read by prospective importers.

Push button doors began in the 1988 model year
Alloy wheels became available with the US NAS spec trucks in 1994

Uncle Douglas May 24th, 2014 10:10 PM

sorry double post

johan May 25th, 2014 01:25 PM

I have seem this car and know what they are asking.

For a little bit more I can sell you one with less miles, better condition, states side and title.

tijnes May 26th, 2014 06:07 PM

Doug thanks for the advice. I'd be happy to pay you a reasonable amount for this service. Note that I did not contact you regarding this Defender even if this was the recommendation in an earlier post.

I will pass on this one for above mentioned reasons. As unreasonable and illogical as this seems, why would doors or wheels or even, parts like seats make a difference, I'm not willing to chance having to ship it back to the EU because it didn't pass.

Martijn

navydevildoc May 26th, 2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tijnes (Post 533392)
Doug thanks for the advice. I'd be happy to pay you a reasonable amount for this service. Note that I did not contact you regarding this Defender even if this was the recommendation in an earlier post.

I will pass on this one for above mentioned reasons. As unreasonable and illogical as this seems, why would doors or wheels or even, parts like seats make a difference, I'm not willing to chance having to ship it back to the EU because it didn't pass.

Martijn

You are trying to apply logic to an illogical situation.

Or better put... "You can't fix crazy."