Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Misc. Chit-Chat (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f14/)
-   -   54' Willys Wagon (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f14/54-willys-wagon-52562.html)

down_shift March 23rd, 2014 12:11 PM

54' Willys Wagon

4 Attachment(s)
What is the market for Willys Wagons?

NPT90 March 23rd, 2014 12:34 PM

That is the first one I've ever seen

JohnsD90 March 23rd, 2014 12:36 PM

Thats really cool, never seen one before.

Viggen March 23rd, 2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtomchik (Post 517464)
That is the first one I've ever seen

Seriously? These were the first SUVs really.

Is it up for sale? Value all depends upon body condition. They rust all over the place and sheetmetal is not 100% available. They do fit pretty nicely on LWB TJ frames...

Rocky March 23rd, 2014 12:57 PM

That is pretty cool.
There are a few on Hemmings. http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...d/1634193.html

FedCop March 23rd, 2014 01:17 PM

Chasing Classic Cars had a new episode on in early February. Sold at auction for 40k something

CMSgt Bo March 23rd, 2014 01:17 PM

My former boss just picked up a solid unrestored '59 from ABQ for under $2K.

NPT90 March 23rd, 2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viggen (Post 517468)
Seriously?

Seriously

I mean it looks like an old dodge workvan or power wagon van but I've never see one of these in the wild (or domesticated for that matter)

Viggen March 23rd, 2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMSgt Bo (Post 517473)
My former boss just picked up a solid unrestored '59 from ABQ for under $2K.

This is about right for a decently solid example with just a little rust.

Uncle Douglas March 23rd, 2014 02:03 PM

I have always liked the wagon and the pickup. My first non- series truck was a 63 Willys CJ3b bought when I was 15 with summer job money.

I occasionally see a pickup project for sale and the wheels in my head start turning, but then I catch myself...

down_shift March 23rd, 2014 02:26 PM

What is he asking? Too much. $6k. He purchased it in Northern Ca a few ago with visions of a full restore from a guy with similar restoration plans that went unfulfilled. He traced its history back to the early 60's where is resided in Nevada. So pushing 50 years in CA and NV explains the original body with limited rust. You can see a few spots behind the door jambs in the rear corners. The front floorboards could be made serviceable. Original glass, paint, and nice interior. Frame and body look straight.
In the mid 60's it was converted with a Chevy small bock and transmission. The TC and rest of the running gear are original or correct. The Chevy was a mistake requiring hacking the bulkhead to accommodate the dizzy. The correct conversion is the Buick v-6 or 8 with the dizzy in the front (but we are one of the few groups that already knew that!).
All new wiring and mechanicals maintained by:
http://www.mdautomachine.com/
M&D does good work and is the place to go with old Jeeps and Chevy fuelies. Also happens to be the only machine shop in Loudoun County.
I've driven by this Willys for years (parked out in the trees, hence the mildew) and have never seen it move until today. The seller said it is mechanically sound would drive x-country today.

Jpayne March 23rd, 2014 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My dad has one he might be ready to let go of. I think it's a mid 60s model It has been in the family for probably 30 years and he has recently refreshed it in the last few years

Wolf Fabrication March 23rd, 2014 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Through my old Jeep Rescue vintage Willy restoration business we did numerous Willys Wagons. They don't carry a lot of value, even fully restored. The most value will come from an untouched all-original example. The most I ever got for one was $18k, that one was fully rebuilt on Dana 44s, 33" tires, 2" lift, Buick 350, TH400, and Dana 300 tcase, line-x'd interior, fresh paint. If you google Willys Wagon, this truck will come up as one of the first images - the red and white '53.

The most I ever paid for a rust free example was $5k (the donor for the above truck), the least was $200 for a parts truck.

They are really the first SUV and are NOT rare, having been made from '46 to '65. Good examples should be about $5k, depending on the year and trim level, restoration candidates around $2k. The hardest thing now is finding vintage Willys that have not been butchered in to off roaders.

Rugbier March 23rd, 2014 06:38 PM

And in South America ( Argentina to be specific ) you can get a Proper, Unmolested original for $ 500.00 - 800.00

They are called Estanciera ( translate Rancher ) , I know a farm that has at a minimum a dozen of those

o2batsea March 23rd, 2014 07:00 PM

I had two, and they tend to have rust problems. Rear wheel arches, tailgate hinge, fenders. I had hoped to restore them but finding replacement sheet metal was really impossible. Sold them for nearly nothing and was glad to see them go. The one I had that was a driver was fun.

Jymmiejamz March 23rd, 2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rugbier (Post 517555)
And in South America ( Argentina to be specific ) you can get a Proper, Unmolested original for $ 500.00 - 800.00

If I had to guess, parts availability in South America could be problematic, which could lead to some serious molestation.

Rugbier March 23rd, 2014 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz (Post 517581)
If I had to guess, parts availability in South America could be problematic, which could lead to some serious molestation.

Au contraire mon ami

Plenty of parts, might not be made in USA .

Jonesy March 23rd, 2014 08:48 PM

Russell - where is that located? I am assume close by to me :)

WeBeCinYa March 23rd, 2014 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My dad was on the hunt for a Wagon with as little rust as possible. Found this one, two small spots on the floorboard, otherwise rust free. In process of being fixed up/restored.

Attachment 91737

down_shift March 24th, 2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesy (Post 517594)
Russell - where is that located? I am assume close by to me :)

Yes, between Gleedsville and Evergreen Mills. For the right price, this would be a nice project after your S2a. Let me know if you need his number.