Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Defender Technical Discussions (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   GM Gen 4 conversion including LS (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/gm-gen-4-conversion-including-ls-51290.html)

CDeWan January 27th, 2014 01:25 AM

GM Gen 4 conversion including LS

2 Attachment(s)
O.k. I got permission from the forum member to post a few pics.

this is a GM Gen 4 mated to a 6 speed and then to the LT230. Guess what...nochange needed in your drive lines as this mates up to your LT 230.

Imaging all the HP and gas mileage you could want. WOW. More to come from the forum member.

SMac January 27th, 2014 01:46 AM

Sub'd.

rover4x4 January 27th, 2014 05:52 AM

as much as i love the mystique of the 215 a 5.3 or 6.0 would be really really nice. im not a fan of the slushbox, the LT230 is just about perfect

Viggen January 27th, 2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rover4x4 (Post 502652)
as much as i love the mystique of the 215 a 5.3 or 6.0 would be really really nice. im not a fan of the slushbox, the LT230 is just about perfect

The 4L60/ 80E is a NICE transmission. They are very tough and last a long time. Plus, if wired correctly, they work very, very well with the motors. The other plus with these GM drivetrains is that they are cheap and will run on the basest of gasoline. No need for anything more than cheap regular.

OP, did you mean that the length of the trans/ transfer case meant no change in driveshaft length? The GM trans is a wide beast so did it fit inside the space meant for the original trans?

ontheway January 27th, 2014 07:21 AM

Subscribed. I am anxious to see the details of this conversion. I would have no issues putting a small block chevy engine in my truck. Let the purists hate.

Daddymow January 27th, 2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontheway (Post 502676)
I would have no issues putting a small block chevy engine in my truck. Let the purists hate.

A new Chevy sure is better than an old Buick motor.

ontheway January 27th, 2014 07:30 AM

+1

Though most days with the 2.5NA I've wished for a buick V8

Rocky January 27th, 2014 08:04 AM

Given how expensive the Alloy V8 is a worthy replacement is desirable.
As for "all the mpg you want" knowing how economical a cruising Suburban can be once its dropped a few cylinders, this could be interesting

Viggen January 27th, 2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky (Post 502693)
As for "all the mpg you want" knowing how economical a cruising Suburban can be once its dropped a few cylinders, this could be interesting

Thats if you keep all that is needed to make that system function, which is something most do not do. It is not easy.

One Ten January 27th, 2014 10:13 AM

In that picture it looks like there is a custom made adapter to go from the GM tranny to the LT230. Tell us more about that. I find this subject interesting. I always wanted to take a ROW with a 2.5 petrol (or something equally wimpy) and do something like this. I'd hate to start chopping up a NAS.

UnfrozenCaveman January 27th, 2014 10:27 AM

Wait...What...Who...????

Where do I send my check?

CDeWan January 27th, 2014 10:33 AM

[

OP, did you mean that the length of the trans/ transfer case meant no change in driveshaft length? The GM trans is a wide beast so did it fit inside the space meant for the original trans?[/QUOTE]

with the six speed that the forum member is using as it is shorter than the older 4 speeds yes NO NEED to move your LT230 or change driveshafts that is one of the beauties of the design.

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2014 12:34 PM ------

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Ten (Post 502731)
In that picture it looks like there is a custom made adapter to go from the GM tranny to the LT230. Tell us more about that. I find this subject interesting. I always wanted to take a ROW with a 2.5 petrol (or something equally wimpy) and do something like this. I'd hate to start chopping up a NAS.

Yes he had an adapter made that houses an intermediate shaft to go from the 6 speed to the LT 230.

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2014 12:35 PM ------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viggen (Post 502698)
Thats if you keep all that is needed to make that system function, which is something most do not do. It is not easy.

Yep he is going to keep all the system function the way GM designed it. The guy is a meticulous and a wiz when it comes to this stuff.

Viggen January 27th, 2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDeWan (Post 502740)
with the six speed that the forum member is using as it is shorter than the older 4 speeds yes NO NEED to move your LT230 or change driveshafts that is one of the beauties of the design.

6 speed? NV5600 manual or 6L80E?

CDeWan January 27th, 2014 10:38 AM

8 to 4 cylinder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky (Post 502693)

Rocky his first attemp was a few years in development used the Gen 3 mated to a 4 speed then to a BW which was a very long driveline and required different driveshafts. While he got it to work well...the thought of not having to change drive lines and use the very stout LT230 pushed him in this direction.
So the Gen 4 motors have the cylinder deactivation and VVT.

Now I wonder what happened to his Gen3 4 speed BW set up is going to go :whistling:

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2014 12:40 PM ------

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Ten (Post 502731)

As far as chopping it up, I think (but don't qoute me) that there will be minimal modifications so if you ever decide to go back to stock just keep your old motor and trans in the corner.

One Ten January 27th, 2014 10:40 AM

Adapter

"Yes he had an adapter made that houses an intermediate shaft to go from the 6 speed to the LT 230".

I bet if he had a few of those adapters made up he could sell them right here.

CDeWan January 27th, 2014 10:42 AM

Jeff,
He is focusing on the hook up rather than the forum just yet. I was allowed to run my mouth a bit. I think Olaf (a D1 gentlemen) is going to write up an article with all the specs.

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2014 12:43 PM ------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viggen (Post 502744)
6 speed? NV5600 manual or 6L80E?

Jarrod,
I am pretty sure it is the one in the Camaro. 6L80E

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2014 12:44 PM ------

Sam,
I think the end goal is to put together the kit and supply all but the engine and tranny.
Clay

nmarkiw January 27th, 2014 10:40 PM

They do exist!

8 Attachment(s)
Yes, Clay jumped the gun. A bit.

Ok, here we go. I have developed a bolt-in solution for the GM Gen IV LS engine and 6L80E transmission that couples to the LT230. The LT230 is exactly in the stock position. I think I will just post a few pictures and let it sink in. I made a run of five adapters to start.

Z.G January 27th, 2014 11:00 PM

Nice! Is it possible to get a manual mated to the engine?

nmarkiw January 27th, 2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z.G (Post 502957)
Nice! Is it possible to get a manual mated to the engine?

Not this year. Maybe next year for the NV4500.
The P38 Gen III/4L60E is next.

One Ten January 27th, 2014 11:35 PM

Nice. I like it. I feel inspired! This is definitely going on my list of future projects.