Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Defender Technical Discussions (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   To Tree Bar or Not to Tree Bar (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/to-tree-bar-or-not-to-tree-bar-49833.html)

spammer November 21st, 2013 02:07 PM

To Tree Bar or Not to Tree Bar

Do you prefer rock sliders with the tree bars coming out or not? Do they really help that much with protection?

Overlander November 21st, 2013 02:10 PM

I personally didn't prefer the look of them, but when I saw them in action in the jungles of Guatemala, I was sold. There are actually techniques to getting around very tight corners using them as a pivot.

rover4x4 November 21st, 2013 02:12 PM

Id say it depends on how the slider is attached, my concern would be the slider twisting

Z.G November 21st, 2013 02:14 PM

Love the tree bar... makes for a great side step to access your roof rack, or for someone to stand on to keep the truck down. Also as Mark said, you can cut corners by pushing off a tree with them.

cgalpin November 21st, 2013 02:15 PM

You can pivot off standard rock sliders too (if securely mounted). just make sure they stick out further than the body in either case.

Uncle Douglas November 21st, 2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlander (Post 484884)
I personally didn't prefer the look of them, but when I saw them in action in the jungles of Guatemala, I was sold. There are actually techniques to getting around very tight corners using them as a pivot.

This. I have pivoted my 130 on tree's with them. Another point to the positive is that sliders offer little to no protection on your down hill side if you are off camber- the tree sliders extend the protection out enough to offer protection. I'm sold on them. No they aren't much of a step to help vertically challenged people get in the truck.

Overlander November 21st, 2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas (Post 484900)
No they aren't much of a step to help vertically challenged people get in the truck.

Or toddlers, which is my challenge with installing my sliders as well as why I'm installing central locks.

Rocky November 21st, 2013 03:17 PM

They are cheaper than bodywork

meatblanket November 21st, 2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spammer (Post 484883)
Do you prefer rock sliders with the tree bars coming out or not? Do they really help that much with protection?

If you're thinking about this for your exmod, a more important question is how you're going to install any kind of rocksliders with that side locker there.

Or maybe you've already got that figured out?

MonLand November 21st, 2013 03:25 PM

Definitely would redo my rock sliders with tree sliders attached in a heart beat. I put 3M no-slip tape on them to be able to use them as a step but since the truck is high, they only really help kids (or me) get off the truck.
But they offer a lot of protection to the body work. I echo the comment made that you need to make sure your sliders are well attached. Sliders can get a lot of stress when you put the weight of the truck on them. You don't want them to bend and touch your body.

cgalpin November 21st, 2013 03:27 PM

Good point. I thought about this when I was building my trailer. You'd need to notch the sliders under the lockers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatblanket (Post 484916)
If you're thinking about this for your exmod, a more important question is how you're going to install any kind of rocksliders with that side locker there.

rijosho November 21st, 2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

That will be his next new thread tomorrow. :)

I like the look of the tree bars, and their cross-funcitonality as a step (I sometimes wish I had a little more room on my rock sliders, like the tree bars) for getting some of the finer pieces of the soft top on, and as a slider. That said, I've used my regular sliders as a pivot point before, and it should be noted that ANYTHING is better than not having something there. Additionally I would recommend (especially since you may need to have the tree bars fabricated instead of store-bought) that you have it painted instead of powdercoated, as the first time I actually USED my sliders, the powdercoated finish flaked off a bit; if they had bene painted, the touch-up process would be much faster, long-term.

Z.G November 21st, 2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rijosho (Post 484932)

I like the look of the tree bars, and their cross-funcitonality as a step (I sometimes wish I had a little more room on my rock sliders, like the tree bars) for getting some of the finer pieces of the soft top on, and as a slider. That said, I've used my regular sliders as a pivot point before, and it should be noted that ANYTHING is better than not having something there. Additionally I would recommend (especially since you may need to have the tree bars fabricated instead of store-bought) that you have it painted instead of powdercoated, as the first time I actually USED my sliders, the powdercoated finish flaked off a bit; if they had bene painted, the touch-up process would be much faster, long-term.

More preferably galvanized.

Overlander November 21st, 2013 04:04 PM

Madcowdungbeetle's sliders are the way to go for a solid mounting.

myoverlandrover November 21st, 2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overlander (Post 484941)
Madcowdungbeetle's sliders are the way to go for a solid mounting.

Website or member here?

rijosho November 21st, 2013 04:13 PM

member. search --> advanced search to find him.

spammer November 21st, 2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rijosho (Post 484932)

Or maybe today...

Quote:

It's hard to plan for these things when I don't have an actual truck to look at. I guess I'll have to get something custom made or plan on modifying them. Bummer.

ArmyRover November 21st, 2013 07:31 PM

You all forgot the best thing about the tree bars on sliders. When that moron parks close next to you and flings their door open normally it would hit your door panel. With the tree bar the moron gets a bent door and you get a laugh. I speak from experience :grin

chris snell November 21st, 2013 08:30 PM

Whatever you do, don't hacksaw the bottom of your NATO can locker doors to accommodate sliders.

don November 21st, 2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 485014)
You all forgot the best thing about the tree bars on sliders. When that moron parks close next to you and flings their door open normally it would hit your door panel. With the tree bar the moron gets a bent door and you get a laugh. I speak from experience :grin

Truth