Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Defender Technical Discussions (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Ran out of gas...refilled and won't start..HELP (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/ran-out-of-gas-refilled-and-wont-start-help-46640.html)

tebby July 3rd, 2013 11:45 AM

Ran out of gas...refilled and won't start..HELP

Just ran out of gas...I know what jackass runs out of gas....was fortunate enough to coast into my local gas station where I buy 93 octane 100% gas (ethanol free). After refilling...won't start and stay running. Only runs for about 5 sec. Mechanic sprayed some gunk cleaner and it would run as long as he sprayed...as soon as he stopped truck would stall. Can hear my relays clicking on the fuel pump. They're gonna try flushing out the fuel filter with compressed air....hope this works. Mechanic thought it may be the fuel pump....randomly went out the same time I ran out of gas? thanks for any insight

Jymmiejamz July 3rd, 2013 11:47 AM

You could have just been low on fuel, and the fuel pump failed.

fishEH July 3rd, 2013 11:59 AM

First verify that the fuel pump is running. If it isn't then its probably not a coincidence that it crapped out. When you run your truck till it runs out of fuel the last thing that went through your fuel pump was any sediment that was on the bottom of the tank. Running it dry and sucking that sediment could've been what killed your pump.

Red90 July 3rd, 2013 12:21 PM

Can you hear the pump running for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition?

woldd90 July 3rd, 2013 12:27 PM

Could you have run the line dry and now have an air bubble?

belgian July 3rd, 2013 12:34 PM

I hope you solve the problem fast! My brother was impressed when he saw your truck in Blacksburg!

tebby July 3rd, 2013 12:40 PM

There's was a lot of background noise...I removed the seat and could hear the relays clicking but I'm not sure if I could hear the pump....I'll check and see if I can hear it. fishEH...thats what I'm afraid of! woldd90...that would be great.

its been a little while since I've posted anything due to starting a business....I absolutely love this site...thanks for all the help guys!!!

tebby July 9th, 2013 09:37 AM

NO power to new fuel pump.

New fuel pump...but no power. I'm pretty certain my silver bosch relays under the passenger seat are fine. Why aren't I getting power to the pump?

leastonce July 9th, 2013 09:40 AM

disconnect the battery ... it will reset the ECU ... send me paypal as thanks! ;-)

tebby July 9th, 2013 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Reset ecu....still no power to the purple/white wire to fuel pump

Also no power to the blue/white wire to this. Is this the fuel pump kill switch?

Attachment 75584

What's next?

tebby July 9th, 2013 11:46 AM

The pump was actually fine. But the mech can't get power to the pump....he thinks it has something to do with the switch pictured above.

rovertek July 9th, 2013 11:46 AM

yes .....Inertia Switch ... jump the switch will eliminate that idea
check the fuel pump relay for power should have 2 legs of power one from ecu with key turned on and steady power on the other leg

fuel pumps do not like to be run dry especially rover ones ...

leastonce July 9th, 2013 11:55 AM

Have you checked the fuses ?

tebby July 9th, 2013 12:00 PM

The fuse to the fuel pump doesn't have power. He replaced the fuse...and he showed me when he put a tester on the fuse there was no power.

leastonce July 9th, 2013 12:24 PM

So the fuel pump only gets brief power when you first turn on the ignition ...

Fuel Pump Relay
The fuel pump relay is located next to the main relay. The ECM provides power to the fuel
pump, HO2S heaters and purge valve through the fuel pump relay. The ECM operates the fuel
pump for one second at key on and then when it senses a crank/run signal from the ignition
system

see this document page 89

http://p38arover.com/rover/p38a/Engi...UX_Systems.pdf

psykokid July 9th, 2013 12:38 PM

Try jumpering the fuel pump relay and see if that gives you power to the fuel pump.

leastonce July 9th, 2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psykokid (Post 451706)
Try jumpering the fuel pump relay and see if that gives you power to the fuel pump.

It will only run for 1 second to prime the fuel rail pressure ...

Willh July 9th, 2013 12:55 PM

If you haven't seen it already, see post below:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...uel+pump+stops

psykokid July 9th, 2013 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leastonce (Post 451708)
It will only run for 1 second to prime the fuel rail pressure ...

Under normal operations yes, most modern EFI systems do this until the ECU receives an input signal that the engine is cranking.

What i'm talking about doing is making a jumper wire to connect the hot terminal (term 30, purple wire/white tracer) of the relay socket to the fuel pump lead (term 87, white wire/purple tracer) to bypass the relay and test that way. Test with a volt meter first to make sure you are getting power to the fuel pump relay. The ECU turns the fuel pump on and off via switching on/off the signal legs of the relay, not the hot and load side of the relay.

Quimbola July 9th, 2013 03:26 PM

Oddly enough my boat (ford gt-40 engine) had the same problem, turned out the relay was bad, even though it was "clicking" with the ignition, jumped the relay and pump fired...bad relay.