Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Defender Technical Discussions (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Yokohama mts (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/yokohama-mts-4551.html)

rustydefender February 3rd, 2005 03:41 PM

Yokohama mts

Good? Bad? Been considering this tire as an alternative to the bfg mt. I read about them in a magazine and the review said they have superior toughness and grip. Anybody have these or heard anything about them?

Sergeant_V February 3rd, 2005 04:16 PM

I've got them. They do well in dry conditions. They suck in mud.

rustydefender February 3rd, 2005 05:15 PM

Really, do you have the plus or the regular ones. The mag I looked at says they are good for mud because the uni directional tread self cleans well. I dunno the mag might not be too reliable. I am looking for a tire that is bearable on the highway but is good in the mud. Any suggestions?

Mike Hippert February 3rd, 2005 05:29 PM

Good on road and god in mud? I don't think it exsits. So you have BFGs right now? And you want something better in the mud, I would say SSRs, but they are noiser then BFGs.

Sergeant_V February 3rd, 2005 06:39 PM

Russell,

I've got the regular sized tires. They are great on the road and do really well in the sand (lot's of that in New Mexico) and well enough on the newbie rocks I've tried. It snowed and rained here last weekend and the area where I usually play with the D was pretty damp. The tires loaded up really quickly with the slimy sulphur colored mud near one of the steep hills I usually climb with ease. The yellow-brown donuts lost grip on the hill and I slid sideways and down rather than climbed up! They were so loaded up with mud that I didn't want to try any of the rocks out in the area.

By the way, they were great on road in what little rain we get down here in New Mexico.

rustydefender February 3rd, 2005 08:21 PM

Where is the pic on your avatar, can't be new mexico

Buckon37s February 3rd, 2005 08:49 PM

My good buddy had these on his jeep for many years. He said he liked them and they did do well. I rode with him in sand and rock. His one complaint was that he said they wore really fast.

Sergeant_V February 4th, 2005 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rustydefender
Where is the pic on your avatar, can't be new mexico

Believe it or not, that actually is New Mexico. One day last month we got a lot more snow than I've seen here in a while. Naturally I had to spend my lunch hour driving in the snow on Sandia Crest (10,000 feet) during my lunch hour. I knew it would be my only chance for a snow poser shot for a long time :)

Here's a pic of what it usually looks like out here. This was only 10 days after the little snow storm.

rustydefender February 4th, 2005 10:00 PM

But no rusting!

4WD-90 February 5th, 2005 05:27 AM

I know you are asking about MT's, but I used to have the Goelander AT's. They were great for light offroading, snow, light mud. They rode great and super quiet on the highway, they did seem to wear down kind of fast though. If I had a spare set of wheels, I would probably buy Yokahama's, and switch them when needed.