Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Smaller Projects (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f48/)
-   -   VNT Turbo install on 300tdi (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f48/vnt-turbo-install-on-300tdi-42913.html)

Manimal January 29th, 2013 04:03 PM

VNT Turbo install on 300tdi

4 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd document my turbo upgrade for those who are interested. Last weekend I did a test fit of the new exhaust manifold in order to determine the location of the EGT sender. Since the old manifold is rusty I have decided to have exhaust manifold, turbo, exhaust tubes and possibly also the intake manifold ceramic coated. Not only does the coating precent rust but it also keeps the temperature higher inside the pipes and the overall temperature under the hood lower. Next up is to drill and tap the exhaust manifold then hand it in for coating. Once all the parts have been coated I'll post some photos of the final installation.

Uncle Douglas January 29th, 2013 04:07 PM

is that your original intake or a replacement ?

Manimal January 29th, 2013 04:10 PM

The intake manifold pictured is original and I'm keeping it. The new (not rusty) exhaust manifold is the one that comes with the VNT kit.

RiftRover January 29th, 2013 06:46 PM

Where are you getting the ceramic coating done?

Manimal January 29th, 2013 06:50 PM

A place locally called Finish Line Coatings.

http://www.finishlinecoatings.com/

Overlander January 29th, 2013 07:19 PM

higher pre-turbo exhaust temps is the complete opposite of what I would want.

Manimal January 29th, 2013 07:40 PM

I guess we'll find out!

Manimal February 7th, 2013 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Garrett GT-22 VNT Turbo back from getting ceramic coated.

jrose609 February 7th, 2013 01:09 PM

That's pretty!

Yudda February 7th, 2013 01:43 PM

Looks good so far !

TDI Guy February 7th, 2013 08:36 PM

Nice

Turbofan February 18th, 2013 11:27 AM

How are you planning on controlling the vanes?

Cube II February 18th, 2013 03:16 PM

They will control themselves :grin

Manimal February 18th, 2013 06:20 PM

Magic?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbofan (Post 414896)

diesel_jim February 20th, 2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbofan (Post 414896)

They run off of a wastegate (type of thing) actuator.... at least the VGT on my Td5 does anyway.

Manimal February 23rd, 2013 03:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The Exhaust manifold has been ceramic coated and the EGT Sender installed.

Cube II February 23rd, 2013 03:53 PM

Very clean.

Manimal March 3rd, 2013 06:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Slow progress. I installed the turbo, exhaust and inlet manifold today. Here you can see why I was concerned about EGT Sender location. Not a lot of room. The instructions that come with the kit are not very detailed so there's a fair amount of guesswork and some parts need slight modifications to fit.

Question about priming the turbo. I tried shooting the oil from the syringe in the hole where the banjo bolt attach (top of turbo) but it doesn't go in. Does the oil drain hose need to be disconnected in order for the oil to flow in there? I just assumed the whole syringe would go in no problem but just a little bit got in before it overflowed. :confused

diesel_jim March 4th, 2013 02:38 AM

I know on some of the old military trucks I worked on (the Bedford MK) they suggested something like a pint or 2 to be "flushed" through the turbo prior to starting up from a rebuild.

Wha I would do, is try and pour as much as you can in via the top, then when you're ready to start, disconnect the solenoid on the FIP, and crank the engine over on the starter. for a good while too, until the oil light goes out. that way you know you'll have oil primed all around the main bearings and the rear of the engine.

By the time the engine fires up (when you reconnect the solenoid) there'll be plenty of oil in the turbo... just think how it drains overnight and then starts up "dry"(ish) in the morning.

Turbofan March 4th, 2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diesel_jim (Post 418565)
What I would do, is try and pour as much as you can in via the top, then when you're ready to start, disconnect the solenoid on the FIP, and crank the engine over on the starter. for a good while too, until the oil light goes out. that way you know you'll have oil primed all around the main bearings and the rear of the engine.

x2 on this.

I was curious if you were going to build a more sophisticated setup for the turbo besides the stock actuator. These things can make some serious back pressure, like over 20psi between the turbo and exhaust manifo. I have one of these on my car, and after much experimenting, I have found I get more power with less pressure(using a pressure activated wastegate). Keep an eye on your EGT's since the back pressure will be so much more. If you haven't yet thought about it, it might be time to upgrade that anemic stock intercooler too!