Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/index.php)
-   For Sale - Vehicles (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cummins 4bt, 1971 Series IIA 109 5-door (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41402)

karlusmagnus November 27th, 2012 02:06 PM

Cummins 4bt, 1971 Series IIA 109 5-door

10 Attachment(s)
100% restored, no rust anywhere:
1971 Land Rover 109 5-door Tropical roof with full roof rack, Cummins 4bt intercooled turbo diesel, Borg Warner T-19 four speed transmission, Ashcroft High Ratio T-Case with X-brake, Salisbury FRONT and Rear axles, LR 1-Ton leaf springs, 9.00x16lt tires (36.3" diameter) mounted on NATO/Wolf rims, Bearmach front disc brake conversion, Saginaw power steering, Mile Marker front axle hubs, Rancho shocks and Steering damper, full instrumentation, dual fuel tanks with military selector switch, WARN M-8000 winch in custom front bumper, dual batteries with Cole Hersee isolator, complete new interior, 3-speed heater and defroster, cubby box, etc etc etc
Comes with all LR manuals and Cummins service and parts manuals, cans of custom matched body paint and some assorted spare parts.
Transmission was just rebuilt by Trevor Griffiths, of British 4x4 in Elizabethtown PA . The transmission rebuild was commissioned through Advance Adaptors and is mated to an Ashcroft hi ratio transfer case using AA specified output shaft and AA adaptors

If you have any questions on the work done, or want to see the truck, it is at Trevor's shop.
Send me your valid e-mail address for a multi page spec sheet and photos.

Sale price is $31,000 with a quick sale given preference over other offers.
No trades, thanks.

Uncle Douglas November 27th, 2012 02:17 PM

neat

ArmyRover November 27th, 2012 02:21 PM

That is one beautiful truck GLWS

Bill Larson November 27th, 2012 03:00 PM

Wow...I think I like it! Good luck with the sale!

grnthng December 1st, 2012 12:24 AM

I think I would trade everything for that! That is one sorted rig!

karlusmagnus December 2nd, 2012 08:46 AM

Thanks guys. I was down at Trevor's place yesterday and shot some video. I put it up on a tumblr site here
http://1971seriesiia.tumblr.com
There are two videos -- one Trevor shot of instruments etc while i was driving back roads, and the other a general look around the truck from the outside.

JASEcrest December 2nd, 2012 10:13 AM

Just saw this one come across Bring A Trailer email - top slot.

Looks great.

rovertrader December 2nd, 2012 12:13 PM

Very sweet!! Watched the video, and makes one wonder what it cruises comfortably at on the hwy?

Surf90 December 2nd, 2012 02:08 PM

Such a cool rig. I love the sound of a diesel motor.

tommyd December 2nd, 2012 05:30 PM

Outstanding. MPG? Top cruising speed?

karlusmagnus December 2nd, 2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyd (Post 391866)
Outstanding. MPG? Top cruising speed?

Cruising comfortably on highway was 55-60mph. Mpg was maybe 22, not sure exactly.

Roverlab December 3rd, 2012 08:49 AM

I would like to think I'm a better mechanic than videographer. I tried to catch the instruments- EGT, RPM, etc. in action.
I've had the opportunity to take multiple "test drives", you know, for quality control, while the 109 has been here. It starts at the touch of the key and drives well.
The small diameter steering wheel travels further than a larger diameter would, but it's not distracting, you just have to plan for it.
Running 2nd and third gears to 3200 rpm gets you into 4th gear around 43mph and 4th gear works well with the torque curve. I've seen 60mph and although you'll know it's a diesel, I like the sound.
Children in the back seat can carry on a normal conversation that you will likely never hear!
Not really sure what a Cummins maximum rpm is, but at 3200 rpm, I never felt like I needed more.
Hope this helps!

Also, many of the pictures show a roof rack but it is not currently fitted.

slorocco December 3rd, 2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roverlab (Post 392010)
Not really sure what a Cummins maximum rpm is, but at 3200 rpm, I never felt like I needed more.
Hope this helps!

Stock RPM was governed at 2700 for the 4BT. Governor springs are available for higher revs. I put a 3200rpm spring in mine. I think they have springs available up to 4000 or maybe a bit more.

karlusmagnus December 3rd, 2012 10:59 AM

Sold, pending receipt of funds. If buyer backs out, I will update the thread.

Thanks Trevor for your great help.

Karl.

rijosho December 3rd, 2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlusmagnus (Post 392048)
Sold, pending receipt of funds. If buyer backs out, I will update the thread.

Thanks Trevor for your great help.

Karl.

Congrats. Someone from Bring a Trailer or from here? You had to know we were going to ask.

karlusmagnus December 3rd, 2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rijosho (Post 392058)
Congrats. Someone from Bring a Trailer or from here? You had to know we were going to ask.

Yes, Josh. It was a friend of someone who saw the ad, but not sure if it was someone who saw it here, or on BAT. I must ask him.

n_maher December 4th, 2012 08:20 AM

Hopefully the BAT referral helped. It was one of those cases where the vehicle was too cool and since there was no way I was going to be able to afford it I might as well try to help get it sold.

karlusmagnus December 5th, 2012 01:28 AM

Mr. Maher, I owe you a pint or four. It seems that a friend of the buyer saw it on BAT, rather than here. The new owner is from Connecticut, and I will point them here so that they may learn more from this great community.

n_maher December 6th, 2012 08:33 AM

While I certainly wouldn't turn down a pint (or 4 :) ) I'm glad that it's headed to a good home.

gomotomoto December 6th, 2012 02:33 PM

damn, that one would have been a no-brainer for me. Love the look.