Defender Source Forum banner

How do you flush a diesel tank

Tags
diesel
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mikeslandrover 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am having problem with my 300TDI. I was told to replace the fuel filter and then flush the tank. Is it a job that I can do it myself or I need to take it to a shop. Is the shop has to be specialized in diesel? Thanks.

#6 · (Edited)
d130 probably has a tank mounted futher back than the seatbox since there is so much extra frame. Some d90's have them right under the seat box.

Some full-service radiator shops will immerse your fuel-tank in a hot caustic solution which cleans it all out. They'll usually repaint it and you've got a nice re-done tank. Here is a place I've used for heater cores, but they do a lot more.

http://www.kingradiator.com/

Naturally they are in NC, but its easy to see what sort of establishment you are looking for. If you try to find someone that caters to the hot-rod or custom community and you'll be on the right track. There should be lots of similar shops in so cal.

#7 · (Edited)
You'll have a rear mounted tank, 18 imperial gallons. So either run the fuel down low or have a good few jerry cans to hand.
What was the problem initially?
Did it go away when the filter was changed?
If it's water in the fuel you'll need to drain the filter regularly until all the water is cleared.
Bosch injector pumps don't like water going through them at all.
I know I've suffered one very expensive pump rebuild due to water getting in the fuel, it trashed the pump internals completely.
If it's showing any signs of rusting particularly if it's double skinned(skid plated) just get a new tank.
I 've taken to adding a fuel addative claimed to dry the fuel by forcing any water to mix totally with the fuel. It's called Wynns Dry Fuel if I remember correctly.

#8 ·
Well, when I first received the D130, it was running fine around town. One day, I took it on a long drive about 100 miles. First 60 miles was great but after that, the engine started to loss power doesn't matter how hard you push on the gas paddle then the engine just die on the freeway. Once I got it started, it won't go over 40 mph and from time to time, the engine will smoke and puff real bad. I finally got it home by driving in 3rd gear at about 35-45mph. I changed the filter and it's still doing the same thing and I don't dare to take it on the freeway and the engine will also die at the stoplight from time to time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.