Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Defender Technical Discussions (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   97 d90 won't start again... (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/97-d90-wont-start-again-38193.html)

cafemosaic June 17th, 2012 02:14 PM

97 d90 won't start again...

i have had this problem a few times now...usually after driving it around town...i runs normally until turned off, then when i go to restart it, it wont turn over...it seems to be trying to start, so not a battery issue, but wont catch...

the last two times, i had it towed to the shop, only to have it restart normally the next day ....
this morning i tried to recrank it and would not start... tank is full.
does anyone have any idea what this mysterious no crank issue is? thanks much

leastonce June 17th, 2012 02:46 PM

So it goes click but the starter doesn't spin?

Sounds like you need a new starter motor. They do this when they are hot and old.

I'd probably strip it and clean it ... But then I'm cheap like that!

cafemosaic June 17th, 2012 02:51 PM

no it definitely spins...feels like it just wont catch....

just wont turn over...would that hapen sometimes and not othrets?

leastonce June 17th, 2012 09:33 PM

Yes. Check ground straps too

cafemosaic June 18th, 2012 11:05 AM

its the fuel pump....anyone have one for sale?

rijosho June 18th, 2012 11:12 AM

there were 2 for sale about a month ago

Viton June 18th, 2012 12:05 PM

The thing that is the biggest reason for fuel pump failure is continuously keeping the fuel level low in the tank. The pump relies on being submerged in fuel to keep it cool. Running low on fuel causes the pump not to be kept cool enough and over time it over heats and fails.

I feel your pain.... with the poor fuel economy of the 4.0, and the small fuel tank you'd practically have to visit the gas station daily. Try to keep your tank at a higher level than 3/8's of a tank.

Captain Spalding June 18th, 2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis (Post 354865)
The thing that is the biggest reason for fuel pump failure is continuously keeping the fuel level low in the tank. . . .

That's a nice little tidbit to file away. Thanks!

Bill Larson June 18th, 2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis (Post 354865)
The thing that is the biggest reason for fuel pump failure is continuously keeping the fuel level low in the tank. The pump relies on being submerged in fuel to keep it cool. Running low on fuel causes the pump not to be kept cool enough and over time it over heats and fails.

I feel your pain.... with the poor fuel economy of the 4.0, and the small fuel tank you'd practically have to visit the gas station daily. Try to keep your tank at a higher level than 3/8's of a tank.

only problem with that is my trips would truly be measured by fuel stations...just replaced my fuel pump, but I rarely let it go below 1/4 tank most times I fuel up around half...