Defender Source Forum banner

Basic question from ham-fisted moron

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jaygoss 
#1 ·
I'm almost too embarrassed to ask this, but seeing as how I have the luxury of hiding behind the keyboard, here it goes:

Just received 5 brand new D90 lug nuts for alloy wheels (at $20 ea) to replace worn nuts with rounded off edges from years of removing/installing. I'd like to keep these and the rest of my lug nuts from rounding off and I'm wondering what brand or type of socket folks have had good luck with? I've been using a Craftsman 6 point socket and its just barely getting enough purchase on some of the more worn lug nuts. It's possible that tire shops, etc. have been pretty brutal with the impact wrenches and 12 points over the years. As I look at the new nuts the edges are rounded off for, what I assume to be a decorative fashion statement (unlike the steel wheel lugs with nice, crisp edges). I'm kind of a tool whore and am salivating at the idea of a new Snap-on socket set. Before I take the plunge I was wondering what folks out there have had good luck with for removing and not damaging the stock lugs? Thanks, in advance, for the help.

Exciting new nut photo link:

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz232/jaygoss/P1010068.jpg

#5 ·
Yep- I hear ya! I bought them in a hurry and later wished I had called George or Stephen.

#3 ·
20 bucks seem alot and if the tire guys have been using an impact then you should have knocked him over the head, cause your suppose to HAND tighten the alloy lug nuts. Just buy the to lug wrench that RN sells.

#9 ·
At least your nuts are fresh- you've got that going for you. Nothing worse than manky nuts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.