Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Misc. Chit-Chat (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f14/)
-   -   Noise- ST vs. HT (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f14/noise-st-vs-ht-28754.html)

Holiday December 10th, 2010 12:06 AM

Noise- ST vs. HT

Well gents,

I have a 95' ST D90 with a factory hardtop, and though Im reasonably happy with it, considering a Badger Coachworks top to replace it with. For those of you who own/have owned both, how do they compare in terms of noise? Water intrusion? (My HT often leaks when it rains!)

Many thanks!!

Ross

rovertrader December 10th, 2010 08:14 AM

I think the badger is better in all regards compared to the hard top- especially as the h/t ages...

James Pierce December 10th, 2010 08:31 AM

Factory hard top as in a fiberglass top or the aluminum SW top? I would say the Badger top is definitely quieter than the fiberglass top but not SW top. My $.02... If you get a Badger get the gutter system

KevinNY December 10th, 2010 08:45 AM

From a series platform standpoint, soft top is WAY quieter.

cellulararrest December 10th, 2010 12:51 PM

The only thing that seems to evade mention and I have noticed is, for some people, the constant pressure changes in the cab (from the top sides and roof flapping) can be hard to get used to. A hard top may be somewhat louder, but you won't have that effect.

I notice it but it doesn't bother me that much, but I've had passengers that it really bothers. These tops don't seem to balloon like, say, a wrangler's top does. Why Bernoulli doesn't apply to our trucks would require some wind tunnel testing I'd guess.

Jpayne December 10th, 2010 01:44 PM

Defender in a wind tunnel. LOL. That's a funny mental image

Just use a shoebox with some paper towels wrapped around it and blow some incense smoke over it with a box fan.

Holiday December 12th, 2010 01:20 PM

Terrific advise- thanks; very helpful. Ordering a Badger top first thing tomorrow...with the powder coated rain gutters. Hopefully I'll not need to keep a rain jacket in the truck as I do with the fiberglass hardtop!

newfD90 December 12th, 2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holiday
Terrific advise- thanks; very helpful. Ordering a Badger top first thing tomorrow...with the powder coated rain gutters. Hopefully I'll not need to keep a rain jacket in the truck as I do with the fiberglass hardtop!

Having had both, I can say most assuredly that you will not need a rain jacket. :) I have the exact same setup from badger and its been great.

Holiday December 12th, 2010 07:27 PM

That's good to hear. I had the pleasure of visiting Chris's shop last month when I picked up my Defender in Rhode Island. He was actually planning on being closed for the day (Sat) when I called, but generously agreed to meet me there. Must have spent 3 hours, talking about Rovers and touring his shop. He's a true craftsman and a real professional; tremendous pride in his shop and work. Each top that he produces passes through his hands, and his attention to detail is impeccable.

We talked color/fabric options and he was even kind enough to quickly sew up a few large color samples to take along with me for comparison.