Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Support & Suggestions (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f24/)
-   -   iPhone forum runner (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f24/iphone-forum-runner-26660.html)

evilfij July 26th, 2010 01:48 PM

iPhone forum runner

Is it worth the $1.99? See CvC's post in the announcement threads.

rijosho July 26th, 2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilfij
Is it worth the $1.99? See CvC's post in the announcement threads.

I was checking I out before I suggested it last night, and it looked pretty cool. Then after CVC opened the site to their app, I started with the free version; it was useful, but pretty useless if you've become comfortable with using your browser on your phone.

The push notifications are nice. I've been trying it out today. The free version is read only with limited ability to open attachments, mail, etc.

You also can't post pics in the free version. I'm using the $1.99 version and it's pretty cool to be able to post them, bur they're currently capped to a small resolution... Like 400x400 or something crazy. They'll probably be improved.

I'm sending this from the app. It really is actual real time which is important as well.

Overlander July 26th, 2010 01:58 PM

I just loaded the free app this morning, and I'm not getting PM's pushed to me for some reason. I was wondering what the extra features are in the $1.99 version.

evilfij July 26th, 2010 01:59 PM

So I should start with the free version? What do you mean useless using the browser on my phone?

rijosho July 26th, 2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

So I should start with the free version? What do you mean useless using the browser on my phone?

I'm
Used to having full functionality through my browser on my iPhone. Our forum
Doesn't really load all that slow anyway, which is usually the advantage to these apps...

Your iPhone browser gives you all of the same functionality, sans push notifications and attachment loader (and maybe a few other things), so if you're used to using your browser, find no problems with zooming in to see what thread you're going to open, etc. Then stick with your browser.

Free versions is limited. I use the site enough from
My phone that the functionality I gain (pics and push) make it worth my while. Plus at any time I can just open it in my browser if I'm unhappy.

chrisvonc July 26th, 2010 02:15 PM

The ForumRunner website main page lists the whole list of differences between the Free and Paid version but to summarize, here are the features you get with the paid version that you dont get with the free version:

- Push notification support for iPhone! Get private message and subscribed thread updates from your favorite forums in the background!
- Poll updates (Messages/Subscriptions) from favorites on home screen
- Image attachment full size viewing from threads
- View a thread page's image attachments in one convenient browser
- Save thread images to your iPhone/iPod Touch library
- Fully searchable forums
- Full posting options (quote posts, start new reply)
- Attach unlimited photos from your library (or take photo from camera and upload to forum)
- Full support for private messages and private message folders (Read only on the free version)
- Full support for thread subscriptions - track your favorite threads!

I started like you guys with the free version but after 5 minutes of playing with it, I went hog wild and forked over the $2 for the full version.. I defiantly think it was worth it.

I'm actually considering offering the Branded version so the paid version would be free to all. But until that happens, I say spend the $2 for the full features.

(BTW... I have no financial association to people buying/not buying the app. I'm strictly praising it from my own experience)

cellulararrest July 26th, 2010 02:17 PM

Chris, any interest in Tapatalk? http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php

I think it's similar, but it's cross-platform (I'm an Android guy :)). Forum Runner is only iPhone as of now.

chrisvonc July 26th, 2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cellulararrest (Post 232843)
Chris, any interest in Tapatalk? http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php

I think it's similar, but it's cross-platform (I'm an Android guy :)). Forum Runner is only iPhone as of now.

Hmm Interesting. I had not heard about that one

cellulararrest July 26th, 2010 02:27 PM

It's pretty neat. Forum Runner is coming to android at some point so, to save you installing a ton of different plugins, I'd be happy just waiting for Forum Runner

chrisvonc July 26th, 2010 03:03 PM

I need to read up more through their forums and see what the eta may be for that as well as see if they will also be doing BB as well. You are right, it would be nice to have only one app installed on the server for this if possible.

------ Follow up post added July 26th, 2010 03:38 PM ------

I just read the thread where he was currently working on Android support at the beginning of July so hopefully that support for you might be coming soon!

evilfij July 26th, 2010 04:10 PM

When I use my iphone now, it does not allow me to go to multiple threads. IE I click on one thread and then when I go back and click on another, it loads the first thread I saw. It did this on my blackberry too.

Ron

chrisvonc July 26th, 2010 04:47 PM

Try rebooting both devices and making sure you logged into the site with the apps. If you are viewing as a guest might be why.... maybe

------ Follow up post added July 26th, 2010 05:15 PM ------

any better Ron?

cgalpin July 26th, 2010 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh boy, Ron has both a BB and an iPhone! What has the world come to!

Using FR right now but have not used it enough to comment on it worth $2. My gut says yes

evilfij July 26th, 2010 06:27 PM

That worked CvC thanks!

Ron

PS I ditched the BB for the iPhone. My firm bought it so it was free to me.

KKilo23 July 26th, 2010 06:51 PM

Using it now, for 1.99 it's worth it!

chrisvonc July 26th, 2010 07:26 PM

Sweet!! Glad that fixed it
Quote:

That worked CvC thanks!

Ron

PS I ditched the BB for the iPhone. My firm bought it so it was free to me.

Wolf Fabrication July 26th, 2010 08:30 PM

I got the paid version, and so far I like it. I love the ability to upload pics directly too.

TDI Guy July 26th, 2010 09:14 PM

Just ordered an android... keep me posted if this will work with it.... IT will be my first smart phone. I am way behind the times.. lol

newfD90 July 27th, 2010 08:26 AM

I tried the free version, but caved and bought it this morning. Good stuff!

Now I wish more of the forums I follow used this plugin as well.

chrisvonc July 27th, 2010 08:51 AM

Randy, Android support is being worked on now by the developer and they say BB support as well. As soon as either is available, I will let everyone know.