Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Trips, Trails and Events (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   NoVa Happy Hour - 3rd Thurs Monthly (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f12/nova-happy-hour-3rd-thurs-monthly-23645.html)

o2batsea January 13th, 2010 07:12 AM

NoVa Happy Hour - 3rd Thurs Monthly

Friday Feb 19th. Hoping it is a bit warmer than the last get together. Same location, same beer mugs.

cgalpin January 13th, 2010 07:16 AM

I make a motion to going back to a single long ass HH thread. The reason is some people don't check the board frequently enough (yes even with a month lead time) to find new threads. They can/do subscribe to the one thread and ill at least get an email.

Anyone want to second the motion?

flippedrover January 13th, 2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgalpin (Post 200112)
I make a motion to going back to a single long ass HH thread. The reason is some people don't check the board frequently enough (yes even with a month lead time) to find new threads. They can/do subscribe to the one thread and ill at least get an email.

Second. And may I offer a change of venue to something more westerly?

cgalpin January 13th, 2010 07:44 AM

We have been through this one before. I'll host one on my deck once the weather gets warm, but we never got a strong response to the suggestion of a westerly location. It's perfectly fine for us to drive an hour to get there, but not visa versa for most :grin

Quote:

Originally Posted by flippedrover (Post 200117)
Second. And may I offer a change of venue to something more westerly?

Wolf Fabrication January 13th, 2010 08:17 AM

Yeah, I tried to lead the Jay's mutiny, but the plan was foiled. I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids and that dog.

Sadly, Arlington seems to be pretty central for most. I think we need to find a "nicer" place with larger parking lot.

But I do second keeping one thread.

carlosz January 13th, 2010 06:18 PM

let's hijack a parking lot and throw a tailgate party at a different spot everytime we want to get together...lol. just the way a traveling circus does it.

APaden January 13th, 2010 07:30 PM

I know I havent been at many (actually only one) happy hour, but I do want to remind everyone that I am the GM of a restaurant in DC with a parking lot (its free too!). We have 33oz beers, 24 on tap and 24 in the bottle, and a whole shit load of food. I know some people may think it is fancy (and I guess compared to Jay's what isnt), but we are honestly pretty casual and have a fun, relaxing environment... come on... 33oz beers! I know it is in DC and isnt that convient for many, but it is not downtown or even near it and can be accessed pretty easily. And I can really accomidate us any day of the week, plus we are really kid friendly if we decide to do a 'family' day. Just wanted to put that option out there and to let everyone know it is always here and open for Rovers. And if anyone ever wants to come here, not for a group outing, just email me (anthonyp@chefgeoff.com) and I would be happy to welcome you! Thanks and I look forward to meeting those that I have not yet met.

Anthony

Info:
Chef Geoff's
3201 New Mexico Ave NW
Washington DC 20016

Take a look at the map:
<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...6&z=16&iwloc=A>

cgalpin January 13th, 2010 08:16 PM

Always game with a little advanced notice.

MonLand January 13th, 2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgalpin (Post 200112)

All in favor: I! I can't believe I missed the Jan HH..... I'll try to make the Feb one and bring Pedro along! By then, he will have owned ~6-7 Rovers! ;)

------ Follow up post added January 13th, 2010 10:03 PM ------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgalpin (Post 200119)
we never got a strong response to the suggestion of a westerly location

I think we have to take it more gradually and keep it inside the beltway two or three times, then move just outside the betway another 2-3 times then move to your westerly boonies-qualifying neighborhood for good! ;)

Ren Ching January 13th, 2010 09:11 PM

Lol

now that Jay's is smoke free it is alot better. If we move it out to Charles' neighborhood, where are we going to have it? May I suggest Panera?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonLand (Post 200284)

I think we have to take it more gradually and keep it inside the beltway two or three times, then move just outside the betway another 2-3 times then move to your westerly boonies-qualifying neighborhood for good! ;)

MonLand January 13th, 2010 09:13 PM

The Sheet gas station sells booze and has a decent-size parking lot.

Ren Ching January 13th, 2010 09:14 PM

Mmmm, stale donuts...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonLand (Post 200293)
The Sheet gas station sells booze and has a decent-size parking lot.

Uncle Douglas January 13th, 2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ren Ching (Post 200294)
Mmmm, stale donuts...

Better than British "roadchef" food

Ren Ching January 13th, 2010 10:49 PM

Hey don't knock it. At least it came on a real plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryland 110 (Post 200307)
Better than British "roadchef" food

Abrooks January 13th, 2010 10:57 PM

I'll underscore everything Anthony said above -- great food, great drink, lots of parking and (for being across the moat) easy to get to. Might be a good option for a rover brunch.

flippedrover January 14th, 2010 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ren Ching (Post 200289)
Lol

now that Jay's is smoke free it is alot better. If we move it out to Charles' neighborhood, where are we going to have it? May I suggest Panera?

Vintage 51 in the shopping center by the Home Depot down the road from him. Or we could hit the place in DC.

Abrooks January 14th, 2010 08:20 AM

One of the real hesiations that some of us had to move it out west was the issue of fighting rush hour out there.

cgalpin January 14th, 2010 08:21 AM

Oh like I don't sit in rush hour traffic for an hour every time I come to Arlington?

Abrooks January 14th, 2010 08:24 AM

Shouldn't have bought a house so far out! :grin

Ren Ching January 14th, 2010 08:24 AM

meh...coming into town in the evening you are going against traffic. suburban excursions best left for weekends and or federal holidays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgalpin (Post 200354)
Oh like I don't sit in rush hour traffic for an hour every time I come to Arlington?