Defender Source

Defender Source (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/)
-   Defender Technical Discussions (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   GPS power and photochromatic mirror (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/gps-power-and-photochromatic-mirror-23485.html)

ORover January 3rd, 2010 02:38 PM

GPS power and photochromatic mirror

I have a Garmin GPS unit that I want to hardwire above the rear view mirror. In my 110, there are 3 wires that go to my photochromatic rear view mirror. Is this enough power for the GPS? If so, which 2 wires do I use for the GPS? Thanks!

Chaucer January 3rd, 2010 05:44 PM

That's a good question, I'm curious about that too. So to clarify, are you trying to re-purpose the power for the rear view mirror to power only the GPS? Or are you trying to power both?

I'm not sure if it is powerful enough to power a GPS or both, but I don't know for sure. I'd compare the GPS voltage/amperage requirements of the GPS and then use a multimeter on the connector for the mirror to see if it will work or not.

ipgregory January 3rd, 2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORover
I have a Garmin GPS unit that I want to hardwire above the rear view mirror. In my 110, there are 3 wires that go to my photochromatic rear view mirror. Is this enough power for the GPS? If so, which 2 wires do I use for the GPS? Thanks!

The 3 wires to the mirror should be Power (Ign switched), Ground and Reverse Input. If you put a meter on them you should get 12v on 1 with the key on, 12v on a second if the truck is in reverse and continuity on the 3rd to the frame. That is if it is wired up correctly.

Depending on which other circuits are sharing the same fuse (if any) then you should be Ok for what little power draw a GPS would add to the circuit. So you would tap into the Switched Power and the Ground wires.

HTH

Ian

ORover January 3rd, 2010 06:40 PM

Thanks! I will give that a try. The reverse input is interesting. Why would reverse have anything to do with the mirror? Thanks! Oh, I don't care about the mirror power, just want to redirect the power to the GPS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipgregory
The 3 wires to the mirror should be Power (Ign switched), Ground and Reverse Input. If you put a meter on them you should get 12v on 1 with the key on, 12v on a second if the truck is in reverse and continuity on the 3rd to the frame. That is if it is wired up correctly.

Depending on which other circuits are sharing the same fuse (if any) then you should be Ok for what little power draw a GPS would add to the circuit. So you would tap into the Switched Power and the Ground wires.

HTH

Ian

woldd90 January 3rd, 2010 06:43 PM

So the mirror is not dark when you are trying to back up...

ORover January 3rd, 2010 09:45 PM

Hooked up the voltmeter to the wires and had nothing at all register. Must be a wiring issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woldd90
So the mirror is not dark when you are trying to back up...

ORover January 23rd, 2010 07:16 PM

Follow up - GPS install

1 Attachment(s)
Was able to successfully tap into the mirror for power. Made for a slick install in an awesome location. Had to splice into the Garmin 12v power cable right cig lighter housing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORover (Post 198393)

Campbell August 20th, 2010 08:59 AM

I'm about to do this....how is the cradle for the GPS attached?

Thanks