Defender Source

Defender Source (
-   Defender Technical Discussions (
-   -   Ideas for front Wiper motor Upgrades? (

Daringer December 7th, 2009 11:18 PM

Ideas for front Wiper motor Upgrades?
Has anyone upgraded or modified the front wiper motors/ assembly/ mechanics to eliminate the excessive amount of mechanical noise they make? I am on my second 97 and swore to myself that I would research and install an alternate to the dated technology.

I have already searched the forums and have not found any leads on members that have taken on such a project. Can the motor and or assemblies be switched out with another (quieter) Land Rover wiper motor?

Thanks in advance for any leads or ideas.

evilfij December 7th, 2009 11:24 PM

ECR fits TD5 style wiper motors.

Hoosier December 8th, 2009 06:38 AM

I used a TD5 wiper motor(got it off a bulkhead I bought) to replace the one in my D90, but it didn't look any different than the one it was replacing.

ECR December 8th, 2009 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by evilfij
ECR fits TD5 style wiper motors.

Yes we do, but that is just as a replacement part. It is basically the same design and same system. The motor itself is identical.
The reason we go to the later model stuff is to get rid of the NAS style rod/spline drums that tend to get a lot of slop and or corrode. This cures the wiper slop issue, but would not address the noises.
If your 90 has a ton of wiper miles and things are dry (no grease left) the wipers can be very loud.
If you go through and replace any worn parts and lube things up nicely it would be quieter, but if you want silent you'd need to come up with your own design.
Even with 3 miles on them you can still hear the wipers working.

JimC December 8th, 2009 07:12 AM

Hey, at least they don't have vacuum wipers.

mgreenspan December 8th, 2009 12:39 PM

I havent searched but am curious if anybody has upgraded them to have an intermittent setting. Or do later ones have this?

cgalpin December 8th, 2009 12:50 PM

NAS D90's have an intermittent feature - you press down on the stalk. Now variable speed intermittent wipers are still a DAT (Driver Assisted Technology).

Manimal February 28th, 2011 03:57 PM

Wiper Replacement Suggestions
My wipers just died in the pouring rain. Perfect timing. It is as if there is a glitch because every once in a while they'll come on then stop again. What is my best bet? Replace it with a TD5 wiper motor?

airbornrover February 28th, 2011 04:35 PM

Sounds like the contacts on the stalk inside the steering column fascia finally burned out.

Manimal February 28th, 2011 04:40 PM

I was actually inside the steering column over the weekend fixing some wiring. Is it possible that I messed with these contacts?

Manimal February 28th, 2011 09:02 PM

...and now they work again!

What's up?

bjf February 28th, 2011 09:18 PM

Sounds like a loose connection. Open up the steering column and check the stalk wires

Manimal February 28th, 2011 09:50 PM

I will check this weekend.

They were on for about 10 seconds then stopped working again.

bjf February 28th, 2011 09:55 PM

I bet it is a wire. Had the same issue with my 110 and the rear lights. Found the loose wire and reconnected it.

Manimal March 1st, 2011 10:52 AM

Is the wiper circuit and rear defroster interconnected? It was working this morning for a few minutes when starting from cold. The rear window defroster was also working. Then when the wipers cut out the rear window defroster cuts out too. It seems like something is overheating and turns off somewhere.

airbornrover March 1st, 2011 01:17 PM

When the wipers started going out on me it was the contacts had worn out from wear and tear over the years. When you are working the stalk up and down it completes a circuit(anyone chim in for the wrong terms) cause it is contacting a separate wire on its own little circuit. Or the little ball bearing ( I remember correctly?) has worn a grove so that its not able to make proper contact anymore thats where the clicking comes from.

Manimal March 1st, 2011 01:19 PM

So I need a new switch assembly?

Why is my rear window defroster interconnected with my wipers?