Defender Source Forum banner

200TDi Install

Tags
200tdi tdi
1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Hoosier 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I need some advice and help. My project got side lined for the past few years and I'm finally dusting it off. Got more time and less money than before, but here goes.
I'll be attempting to set my 200 TDi in my 94 90 this weekend and wanted to have some of the smarter people tell me if I'm going about it right. I'm on a budget so i'm trying to avoid buying new motor mounts ( i know they're cheap ) and the x cross member. I'm cutting the old mounts off and will re weld. I'm lining the motor up based off the radiator and fan shroud. Using the fan to center the motor left to right and placing the crank pulley about and inch and a half off the shroud. Should allow about one inch clearance between ps pump and steering box. Trying to level motor left to right best I can
Then I'll use the transmission mounts to make sure the back end is centered and will drill new holes at the same distance from top rail down as old holes and roughly two inches further back.
Since this is something I have zero experience with this is the best I can come up with. Have I missed anything fatal. Thanks for any advice.

#4 ·
I have a special cutoff wheel for flush cutting, and I still lose 3/16" of metal so that's a concern with using the existing mounts - you can use some wide strap (1/8" or 1/4" X4") between the frame and the mount to make up for the lost metal. Also, make sure the the V8 mounts off the frame mate up with the engine mounts on the 200tdi. Finally, make sure the hoses fit with your radiator to engine spacing. Hoses can be shortened, but making them longer is hard. Also watch the exhaust down pipe clearance and it is nice if the shifter still fits the tunnel in your 90. Depending on where the transfer case ends up, you may need new driveshafts.

Personally, I would cut off the mounts - mount up the engine/transmission/transfer case to the transmission mount and see how the engine to radiator spacing is. The less you have to modify the better. On my 300tdi the engine mounts were all I had to move on my 90. On my 200tdi I didn't have to move anything, but it was to my lightweight. Have fun :) Send photos.

#6 ·
The cutoff wheel is fine. Whatever you lose you can make up in weld if you know the ghetto beauty-bead technique.

I would line up the back first if you can. I don't know the 200 all that well but there are seat box clearance issues with the 300.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.