Defender Source Forum banner

Steering box swap: Disco II into D90

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  evilfij 
#1 ·
Can I use a Disco II steering box in the D90?

Is it a straight bolt-in??

#6 ·
Can the drop arm from a 95 Disco work on the D90??

It looks like the steering boxes are the same (is that correct)??

I think the drop arm on the 95 Disco does not have the integral ball joint (is that correct)??

Does anyone see any benefit to this if all this is true??

#7 ·
You can use the drop arm, but then you need to swap the drag link too and you would either have to use a disco damper relocation mount to keep the OR use the disco track rod with the damper mounted on it and the bracket that mounts to the bottom of the diff.

#9 ·
I'm reconsidering my build now! I was planning on using the axles and all the steering and suspension components from an '89 RR. I bought a new steering box though, simply to have a new one. Everything "lines up", or so it seems. I'm wondering now if I should swap the drop arm on the new box with the old one.. I'll have to take pictures of the two.

#10 ·
switching to the disco drop arm gets rid of the integral ball joint set-up in the D90 and replaces it with TRE style.

i believe the drop arm has less of a "drop" but the link attaches "below" it versus on top like the D90 so it shouldn't change the angles much.

#11 ·
Turbofan said:
I'm reconsidering my build now! I was planning on using the axles and all the steering and suspension components from an '89 RR. I bought a new steering box though, simply to have a new one. Everything "lines up", or so it seems. I'm wondering now if I should swap the drop arm on the new box with the old one.. I'll have to take pictures of the two.
Drop arm is the same between an 89 RRC and a D90 (or maybe the drop is very slightly less), but to use the D90 damper mount, you need the bracket that goes on the drag link from a defender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.