Defender Source

Defender Source (
-   For Sale - Vehicles (
-   -   For Sale: 1973 Land Rover Series III (

RedRover November 2nd, 2008 01:05 PM

For Sale: 1973 Land Rover Series III
5 Attachment(s)
Up for sale is my 1973 Land Rover Series III, located in Matthews, NC. This vehicle is in the process of being restored, the engine has been rebuilt along with body work and paint job. A certified Land Rover technician did all engine work. The interior will need some minor work along with some electrical. Iíll be happy to take any additional pictures and answer all questions. I am asking $6,000 but best reasonable offer will take this vehicle. Please pm me with any questions. Thank you for looking.

mountainviewrover November 3rd, 2008 07:33 AM

interior pics?

MonLand November 3rd, 2008 08:42 AM

Rust area pics?
Pictures of typical rust areas?
What is the extend of the restoration?
What are the known issues?
What is not "period correct"?
What engine?
How many miles?
Is it registrable/runnable/legal as-is?

RedRover November 3rd, 2008 06:46 PM

Here is a link to a few more pics

Here is the work that has been done.
Engine rebuilt, 2.25L. 81K miles about 10 miles since engine was rebuilt.
Body work: removed rust paint, new hinges, chassis blasted and painted, Defender mirrors.
The vehicle is registered in NC and is running.
The lights need to be hooked up and some slight interior seats need to be recovered and door panel covers could be changed out. If you have any questions or need specific pics, please let me know.

Thanks for looking. . . Jason

mountainviewrover November 5th, 2008 08:01 AM

what are those 3 squares on both sides of the truck tub that are rivotted on? what was the reason for that? and do you have the seat bottms for the rear, with belts? thanks

RedRover November 5th, 2008 08:20 PM

I do have all the seats for the truck, the rear seats also have seat covers. The seats are the originals and could use some TLC. When I bought the vehicle the rivits were in the truck. I've looked and can't see anywhere that they're used for support. I asked the guy who did the restore (someone much more mechanically inclined than I, and didn't know either. I decided to keep them in place during the restore, I kinda liked it.

If you want some additional pics, please let me know.

ECR November 6th, 2008 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by mountainviewrover
what are those 3 squares on both sides of the truck tub that are rivotted on? what was the reason for that?

The NAS SIIIs 1971-1974 had to comply with DOT regs for the seat belts, so Rover put 3 steel attachment points in the tub for the rear seat belts to make the seat belt anchors stronger. Over time when driven in snow/salt the steel corroded through the alloy tub in those 3 spots. So you either leave the corrosion holes, patch them (like this truck) or replace the tub side.

RedRover November 6th, 2008 09:17 AM

Thanks for the information Fidel, you learn something new every day!

mountainviewrover November 6th, 2008 12:40 PM

thanks mike.

RedRover November 8th, 2008 01:43 PM

Vehicle is no longer available.