Defender Source Forum banner

Favor? 110 window measurments

Tags
110 window
1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  ECR 
#1 ·

Could someone be so kind as to measure the frame for roll up 110 windows? I managed to forget to do this before I loaded it in to the container.

I'm looking for measurements not of the actual window but the metal frame around the window as seen from the inside. The purpose is to make a set of bug screens/covers that fit inside with the door closed. They will be fixed with velcro and buttons around the metal frame.

Once again please measure the frame as seen from the inside with the door closed. I attached a document for reference.

I'll post some pics after we make them.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

#3 ·
Alright! thanks a bunch... I'll keep you posted on what we come up with.

As of now we plan on using rivet on buttons at the corners for the covers and velcro for the bug screens. We are only going to make the screens for the rear (door) windows.

One thing we did do you may be interested in is taking out the rear sliding wondows and replacing them with a sheet of aluminum. Not the prettiest but in terms of privacy and security...perfect. I was not only worried about breaking from the outside but from the inside as well.

#4 ·
Thanks. are the covers you are referring to for privacy when sleeping inside?

My plans for rear sliding windows was to get the mantec grills for the sides and rear windows, and then have some sliding curtains made that either rollup/down, or slide on bunjee style cord, with velcro straps to hold them either side. Will be looking for safari print or rover marque fabric when I do it.

#5 ·
I like the window screen idea. I was camping one time in Oregon, and it was sweltering hot even at night. But the place was just infested with mosquitos. So you either had to tolerate the heat with the windows closed or deal with the mosquitos. I would've loved to have had some window screens during that trip.

For privacy and sun protection, I have a full set of custom made panels that fit on each window. I got them from Cee Bailey (I took the truck there, and they measured each window) for a ridiculously low price several years ago. I just leave the back ones on all of the time (they attach with little suction cups). And I put the others on as I need them.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure that project is where I at least got the idea Fidel! What an outstanding job you did on that rig, and what a fantastic use of space as well.

Steve,
I took measurements for you this morning and came up with this:

Front
A- 1"
B- 19"
C- 24"
D- 18"
E- 32 1/4"

Middle Doors
F- 18"
G- 27 3/4"
H- 18"
I- 27 3/4"

The rollup glass is 19 1/4" wide, and the non-rollup glass strip is 4 3/4" wide. the vertical bar is 1" wide

#8 · (Edited)
Overlander said:
I'm pretty sure that project is where I at least got the idea Fidel! What an outstanding job you did on that rig, and what a fantastic use of space as well.
Thanks, not looking for praise, just helping folks understand what was being looked for.
:) :)

If you think that 110 was cool you should see the Defender I have in the planning phase for my personal truck (and a trip I have planned to show my young son the world). Its going to blow project #67 away.

As for the screens...
Don't forget to add a metal rod or bar at the bottom. The first screens we did (without the rod) left gaps at the bottom and let bugs in. The rod at the bottom kept the screen tight to the door trim (without having to glue or screw anything to the door trim) and the side benefit was that it made them really easy to roll up.

#9 ·
ECR said:
...If you think that 110 was cool you should see the Defender I have in the planning phase for my personal truck (and a trip I have planned to show my young son the world). Its going to blow project #67 away.
Can't wait to see it. When is it planned? Always looking for great ideas for expedition modifications. I want to start trips in 1.5 years when my girls get old enough to travel and I get back from Babylon.

ECR said:
As for the screens...
Don't forget to add a metal rod or bar at the bottom. The first screens we did (without the rod) left gaps at the bottom and let bugs in. The rod at the bottom kept the screen tight to the door trim (without having to glue or screw anything to the door trim) and the side benefit was that it made them really easy to roll up.
Can you elaborate on the rod? I'm not getting that. are you saying that the rod is a substitute for velcro on the bottom along the trim? Great heads up, but need to be able to visualize what you are saying.

#10 ·
Thanks!

Great looking truck on there Mike. The screens are exactly what I was thinking... though mine will probably a bit more ghetto :)

I think the rod will keep the bottom flush against the door card. If memory serves there is really nothing to velcro there except sticking on the door card. Thanks for the suggestion.

Where did you get your screen? Home Depot has some but it seems a bit flimsy, I was looking for something a more burly.

#11 ·
Overlander said:
Can't wait to see it. When is it planned? Always looking for great ideas for expedition modifications. I want to start trips in 1.5 years when my girls get old enough to travel and I get back from Babylon.

Can you elaborate on the rod? I'm not getting that. are you saying that the rod is a substitute for velcro on the bottom along the trim?
Exactly
:)

As for the trip rig... I have some time as I want the boy to be old enough to recall the trip as it will take a lot of effort. I have already started getting the pieces together though.
Think Earthroamer but built on a Defender and you'll see where I'm headed with the project.

:) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.