Defender Source Forum banner

brake rotors and pads all 4 wheels

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JimC 
#1 ·
I ordered the parts. I have a hi lift jack and rock sliders to lift the wheels off the ground. I am mechanically inclined and have access to tools. Can I do this job? Are there any special tools? Do I need an air wrench?

#3 ·
Yeah, high lift isnt so good (terrible) for working on a vehicle, plus you dont even need its high-lifting abilities. Moreover, you'll be jacking the sills for a while before the wheel actually lifts enough for you to work on it. I suggest using the stock bottle jack under the axle and then using jack stands. After the vehicle is safely in the air, then yes, you can totally do this with basic hand tools.

#4 ·
You need snap ring plyers and something to remove the big nuts on the wheel bearings. I use channel locks but there is a proper tool available called a "hub nut socket."

Also, you need a 14mm 12 point socket and other 12 point metric sockets. And a BFH to get the rotor off (big f***ing hammer).

#5 ·
defender1844 said:
I ordered the parts. I have a hi lift jack and rock sliders to lift the wheels off the ground. I am mechanically inclined and have access to tools. Can I do this job? Are there any special tools? Do I need an air wrench?
get a regular floor jack - the HIlift is an accident waiting to happen. As soon as you try removing the rotor you will notice the entire vehical drifting with increasing speed to the front and downwards. If anything is under the part of the truck that will make contact with the ground - it will be amputated.

#7 ·
The shop manual illustrates it very clearly, and is a good investment. I think its only 25 bucks on CD. Sadly, the rotors dont just sit on the lugs like other vehicles, they are behind the driven ends of the axles, and require disassembly of the hub to replace.

And the hub nut socket is 52mm, I think its same as some jeeps. If you need more sockets, just go buy some during the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.