WTPrice: 3.5L Engine - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old December 26th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Your prices are all over the place and wildly inaccurate and I think that the end result you will get out of that v8 swap will not be something you're happy with. Is it going to be an automatic? Curious how they will handle the shifter. Not to mention the need for different crossmember, chassis side engine mounting brackets, floors, tunnel, driveshafts, etc all in that price. $1000 to swap a like for like engine is a bit high but I'd rather see high estimates than suspiciously low ones. Yes the thread is getting derailed because people are trying to steer you in a saner direction but you only want someone to tell you what you want to hear. Charles and I have given you the best advice here. But, it's your motor, mate. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

I'm not past NAS money and I'm not looking to ask that much. And, as previously, clearly stated, this isn't happening in my half-a-driveway.

Frankly, if you think dropping $2500+ to put a 2.25 doorstop back into the Rover is "sane", you're welcome to buy it from me & knock it out yourself. But, bizarrely, there are numerous other options.

Likewise, if you have more "accurate" prices from shops in the Raleigh area, kindly speak up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 26th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoge View Post
I'm not past NAS money and I'm not looking to ask that much. And, as previously, clearly stated, this isn't happening in my half-a-driveway. Frankly, if you think dropping $2500+ to put a 2.25 doorstop back into the Rover is "sane", you're welcome to buy it from me & knock it out yourself. But, bizarrely, there are numerous other options. Likewise, if you have more "accurate" prices from shops in the Raleigh area, kindly speak up.
It's not really sane. Having an old Land Rover is the opposite of sane. But it is the most sane of all the options you have presented, given your situation. And though the price is a little high, it also is the only one that's close to the mark for a good, predictable end result. You sound like you are a bit irritated, and we all get your frustration. Sounds like you got a bit of a ripoff vehicle. But then again I don't know the circumstances of the engine failure. Did you get any seat time behind the wheel with the "doorstop" 2.25? I can assure you the $800 2.5NAD is more of a doorstop than the gasser. I've driven both and not just around the block. Really just trying to help here unlike others who are enabling your further exploration of various rabbit holes.

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Discovery Automotive, Flying circus and Euromotorx are our competitors feel free to contact any of them to get estimates if you would like. At this point it is his decision on which way he wants to go, we should start another thread asking all the forum members which motors they would put in their truck if given the opportunity, and I'm sure everyone hands down would choose a 2.25!! And if you call someone a dick with a smile does that still make them a dick? That is how I felt about your smiley face earlier, to question my product/prices and work when you have never seen anything that I have done is a dick move I have a wait list for clients right now and least of my concerns is dealing with what some one should do, it's his decision and once he makes it I'll be happy to help anyway I can. Even if it is towing it to you so you can do the work pro bono, bc I don't work for free! Honestly I have wasted to much time on this thread already. Merry Xmas, it's funny how going out on a limb puts you out there for people to ridicule you!
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Discovery Automotive, Flying circus and Euromotorx are our competitors feel free to contact any of them to get estimates if you would like. At this point it is his decision on which way he wants to go, we should start another thread asking all the forum members which motors they would put in their truck if given the opportunity, and I'm sure everyone hands down would choose a 2.25!! And if you call someone a dick with a smile does that still make them a dick? That is how I felt about your smiley face earlier, to question my product/prices and work when you have never seen anything that I have done is a dick move I have a wait list for clients right now and least of my concerns is dealing with what some one should do, it's his decision and once he makes it I'll be happy to help anyway I can. Even if it is towing it to you so you can do the work pro bono, bc I don't work for free! Honestly I have wasted to much time on this thread already. Merry Xmas, it's funny how going out on a limb puts you out there for people to ridicule you!
Addressing these in some orderly fashion. No, smiling when you call someone a dick does not bake them a dick. Calling someone anything doesn't make it so. Actually we've seen some of your fabrication work that you've posted and it looks pretty impressive. But some of your statements about fitting that V8 drivetrain demonstrate some lack of clarity and understanding of how the factory fitted v8s into these trucks. Certainly the easiest and therefore likely cheapest and also definitely most easily resellable conversion would be done using as many factory parts as possible. So yes I am questioning your prices, I'm sorry if that bothers you but it doesn't make either one of us a dick.

I'm trying to help OP by steering him toward the "sanest" solution. If everyone fad a blank skate would they choose a 2.25? Of course not. But he doesn't have a blank slate. He has a truck that is configured as an early 4 cylinder, including a gearbox that was just installed to the tune of over 2x it's market value.

I don't work pro bono either. Though I will show up to drink beer eat pizza and help friends wrench through the night.

Again, I'm sorry if my crack offended you. I thought you would get it but I forgot you are somewhat sensitive. Ok yeah I guess I am a bit of a dick. But I try to make up for it. Show at a rally and you can punch me in the arm as hard as you want. Or I'll share some beer with you. Your choice. Kumbaya brother, kumbay-fucking ya.

Oh and Xmas is over...and I'm Jewish but that's cool you didn't know.

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Jonathan, do you have a number in mind to take the 90 off your hands as it sits(non-running)?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old December 26th, 2013, 08:58 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post

Happy Hanukkah dick

Sorry couldn't help myself, that was a sarcastic dick comment.

Edit:::::

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I have pretty thick skin, but talk about my family or my work and it sets me off! I have no ill will, I'll be happy to share your beer and my bourbon! Good luck trying to find a shop willing to take a build like this on! At least one that cares about the final result that is willing to stamp their name on it like we do, we stand behind every build that we do. I don't want to speak for him but the number we discussed was $15k to let it go as is. I have a dealer who is trying to work out a potential trade.
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Funny Ching doesn't sound like a Jewish last name
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
Happy Hanukkah dick Sorry couldn't help myself, that was a sarcastic dick comment. Edit:::::
cheers

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:50 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
Funny Ching doesn't sound like a Jewish last name
Short for Chingsteen.
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Did anyone post the anti-PC "happy holidays vs merry Xmas" whine fest yet? I think we're only 24 hours past so it isn't too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Short for Chingsteen.

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

Unfortunately, $15k is about the best I can do for taking it off my hands as it sits right now. I do not see any scenario wherein I do not end up losing a significant amount of money regardless, but that's about the most loss I can accept at the moment.

I did indeed have the... privilege... of driving the 2.25L motor for about 100 miles, on the stretch of I-40 from Knoxville through the mountains to North Carolina. To say I was underwhelmed by the engine would be remarkably polite and calm of me, but I would imagine the approximately two miles of truckers backed up behind me due to the Rover being incapable of maintaining even 55mph in the mountains might be a bit more... expressive... in their dislike of that particular engine. (I-40 limits truckers to *only* the right lane through the mountains, and they were stacked up behind my like cordwood.) Spending $3000 to return to that earth-shattering performance in order to appease the scant few purists out there who probably won't end up buying this thing anywise does not seem... efficient.

And, yes, having only 100 miles under my belt for having purchased the vehicle six months ago on account of the shipping company breaking the transmission and the engine grenading does leave me a bit annoyed, shockingly enough.
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Sounds like the engine was either already toast or was set up incorrectly and that killed it. But to do the damage you describe in 100 miles seems pretty far fetched.

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Old December 28th, 2013, 09:22 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Whew.

I think it needs a chebbie treefiddy
Old December 28th, 2013, 12:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
So the question you need to ask yourself is can you get $15+<yet to be determined costs> for the truck once it's been done. I think you are going to be hard pressed, unless you do it very cheaply. But I wish you the best of luck.
Old December 28th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Whew.

I think it needs a chebbie treefiddy
Nah, a Rover 241ci will do.

15K is a little high in my mind.
Although it looks pretty clean on the GMR site and it says the frame is great(what is that, black shiny waxoyl?) and the door bottoms repaired.
I could see maybe $11.5-12.5K.

But for my purposes, like Uncle Doug mentioned before, I would swap a known and running 14cx V8+auto in it(which I already own).

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old December 28th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
So the question you need to ask yourself is can you get $15+<yet to be determined costs> for the truck once it's been done.
I think the question right now is whether or not I can get $15k for it at all. I plan on making a trip out to the shop it is currently residing at next week and getting some better pictures, and then I guess we will go from there.
Old December 28th, 2013, 01:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Take a bunch of pics and you can get some realistic feedback on what it's worth. A non-runner is a hard sell, but I think you are going to take a bath any which way if you are paying for labor. Maybe your best bet is someone like Jeff who knows rovers, does his own work, and is close enough to go take a good look at it in person and decide if it's a good enough foundation to work from for his goals. You might be better off trying to get him up to $13k or something and walking away. Or take $12.5k (assuming he's serious) and run :D
Old December 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

You are in an unfortunate situation and you are going to take a loss if you sell it no matter what at this point, accept it and move on.

Anything you do to convert it to a different type motor is just going to be additional money that you are going to lose.

You really only have 3 options if you are looking to limit your loss.

1. Fix it and enjoy it and get your money’s worth out of it (sounds like you do not want that)

2. Put the original type motor in it and do it as inexpensive as possible, it should only take a half day to do a motor swap see if you can find a place to use for the weekend and some friend’s to help.

3. Sell it as is but you are not going to get 15K no way no how. It sucks but at least you will be done with it. Saying you cannot sell it at less than 15K makes no sense you will just be sitting on it until you finally decide you want it gone and sell it for what it is worth.

As for trading it in on something else… Do not make a bad trade and end up upside down, you are already in a bad situation do not make it worse

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
engine