Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old December 25th, 2013, 05:50 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I think this is a pointless exercise without getting an idea of what the truck would sell for in these configurations. So get some detailed pics of the truck and we can give opinions on what you will realistically get for it.

1. As-is
2. Running with 2.5na replacement
3. Other configurations

My money is #2 will yield the best outcome financially due to the labor costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

So I'm currently out of town at the moment, but Brewie, being the awesome guy he is, has volunteered to take some pictures. Guess we'll adjourn until then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 25th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
My .02.

I see no value in converting to diesel with a 2.5na. I can count the number of people I know that own that engine and like it on one hand. Its a boat anchor.

It is no harder/easier for the next guy to convert from a 2.25 gas engine to 200tdi than it is from 2.5na. Same work and everything including the fuel filter housing and airfilter are all different. Your cheapest way out of this to buy a know decent running 2.25 and 2.5 petrol engine bolt it in an drive it or sell it, presumably the blown engine has a new clutch etc fitted.

The word conversion = additional cost

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I'll pay you $9800 as it sits, assuming its as decent in the current pics, and I'll arrange for pick up and transport .

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old December 25th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
I'll pay you $9800 as it sits, assuming its as decent in the current pics, and I'll arrange for pick up and transport .
A local offered him 12k and he didn't blink!
Old December 25th, 2013, 10:22 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

My 2 whatever..

If it's 1st, last and only defender.. I'd say do one of 2 things
1: it's a keeper so damn the cost and time and go full out, Tdi and all the rest

2: sell as is, and take what it's worth, if you got an offer at 12k I'd follow up and take it.

If you put in the same motor you blew in there, it May net a few $ more than as is but not enough to cover the costs, if a shop is doing the work.

Every buyer either wants a perfect example or a conversion. It already has a r380 so it's not going too be attractive to the all OEM crowd. No TdI so your kinda stuck there too

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old December 26th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Put a 2.25 back in it and drive the piss out of it. I had loads of fun with mine when it was a 2.25. R380 is of no detriment to the value not sure why the previous poster suggested that. They were the factory replacement for the box that you had.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:32 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Did not know that, I stand corrected then.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:59 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Call me an idiot, but I would try to fix that engine with some JB weld. If it worked, you'd be golden and if it didn't you'd be out a hundred bux worth of upper gasket kit. Prepare the area carefully with a grinder, clean it with acetone, and put in the JB. When it sets, file it flush and bolt it all back together. The head will keep it from migrating and it should hold up to the heat and pressure.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Call me an idiot, but I would try to fix that engine with some JB weld. If it worked, you'd be golden and if it didn't you'd be out a hundred bux worth of upper gasket kit. Prepare the area carefully with a grinder, clean it with acetone, and put in the JB. When it sets, file it flush and bolt it all back together. The head will keep it from migrating and it should hold up to the heat and pressure.
I know of some JB'ed 2.25s in series trucks and it doesn't last under real use. Ok for something you drive 4 times a year but not something you can sell. You'll be out more than the gasket kit because you aren't doing the work and there are always other things that need doing. Should be a fair number of 2.25s or 2.5s floating around in working condition. Sorry Bill but that is terrible advice!

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Should be a fair number of 2.25s or 2.5s floating around in working condition. Sorry Bill but that is terrible advice!
problem we are having is sourcing them, we have only found a couple .
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
problem we are having is sourcing them, we have only found a couple .
Well you only need one...

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2013 10:39 AM ------

Quote:
http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/4253670113.html

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
So, I may be captain obvious here, but why not actually weld and flycut the deck to spec?

If we're talking about cheap fixes, a TIG welder with preheat and the appropriate filler rod should be able to seal up the block very easily.

btw that engine Bobeck posted looks pretty awesome.
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
You guys are talking about repairing a block on an engine that will also need a full rebuild. When good running kits are an option, that will be the better choice. Welded and epoxy repairs like that in one of the highest heat concentration areas of a pretty highly stressed motor? Not the best course of action.

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2013 10:51 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
So, I may be captain obvious here, but why not actually weld and flycut the deck to spec? If we're talking about cheap fixes, a TIG welder with preheat and the appropriate filler rod should be able to seal up the block very easily. btw that engine Bobeck posted looks pretty awesome.
And please tell me where you can get this done cheaply? That's a laugh and a half, Ed.

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2013 10:53 AM ------

Btw that engine us for sale on this list. Maybe Brewie just really wants to unload a shite v8 drivetrain on the poor guy

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:10 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
I know of some JB'ed 2.25s in series trucks and it doesn't last under real use. Ok for something you drive 4 times a year but not something you can sell. You'll be out more than the gasket kit because you aren't doing the work and there are always other things that need doing. Should be a fair number of 2.25s or 2.5s floating around in working condition. Sorry Bill but that is terrible advice!
Meh, whatever. Worked on a Gravely walk behind I had a long while ago. Valve broke and bashed up the top of the piston. Filled and filed and ran it for several years.

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2013 11:12 AM ------

Quote:

------ Follow up post added December 26th, 2013 10:39 AM ------

http://greenville.craigslist.org/pts/4253670113.html
That's literally right next door to my BIL's. If you need eyeballs on it that you can trust, that is.

1968 2A 88

Old December 26th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Btw that engine us for sale on this list. Maybe Brewie just really wants to unload a shite v8 drivetrain on the poor guy
hmmmm let me think a second a top speed of 60 at best with a 2.25 or a reliable EFI v8 that sucks gas that will do 80 all day long??? Pondering pondering what would I do?? Yes I have four complete drivetrains, yes I offered them to him, no it wouldn't be what I would do, but he is also asking for the cheapest best solution that will bring a return. I have been 100% transparent with him and he just needs to make a decision to determine logistics and I will help in what ever way that I can no matter what his decision is. All I have done is help and offer options, what have you done for him but post a motor that he has already seen and said that he didn't want? The rover is at the shop and will sit there until he makes a decision whether to sell as is, fix it or to take it some where else! All of which I am happy to help with bc it's his truck and all I can do is offer my opinion and what I have available to resolve the situation. I offered to pick up one motor and he never made a decision, I spent a whole day driving my truck/trailer to pick up his truck and didn't ask for a dime, and when I mean all day it was a 12 hour trip! So unless you have something constructive to add leave me out of it! And I'm not willing to have my name on some bullshit job of JB weld or welding the block it may not be my truck but it is my shop!
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Relax Brewie didn't you see my smiley?
I think ive been very helpful actually way beyond what anyone could reasonably expect. Not sure why he has rejected that motor or how you could do a resellable v8 conversion for less than that.

I guess you've never driven a properly set up petrol 4 cylinder 90, mine would do 70 with little issue. 75-80 going downhill. 55-65 on long uphill grades. It would easily outrun any series with the old single carb and 4 speed. It was a very driveable vehicle.

Can't help if the op doesn't want sound advice. That engine looks like a great deal.

Bill I hate to break it to you but this is not a gravelly walk behind yard machine...

Present:
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"

Past:
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:37 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Alright, in the quest to try to replace the blown 2.25L engine in my D90, the possibility of shoving a 3.5L into the gaping hole has come up. Does anyone have one they are willing to part with, and what kind of prices are we talking about? And, yes, I've searched, and most listings are old enough to be fossilized.
I have a good 3.9 full engine (complete with all ancillaries and exhaust manifolds) that you can have for free if you pay shipping.

1968 2A 88

Old December 26th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

I think it's fair to say this thread has gotten a little off track.

First, repairing the existing engine is not an option, either for my use or for resale. I'll happily sell it to anyone who wants to undertake that project, though.

Second, Brewie has been immensely helpful, and I think we can keep personal issues out of the thread.

Finally, my goal is to determine what engine choice results in the least money lost for me. I've been able to determine that a 2.5NA will cost me $800 for the engine and another ~$2500 for the install. An equivalent 2.25 petrol will run $2000 in parts and maybe $1000 in installation. A 3.9 will cost me $1500 for the engine and transmission and another $3500 for installation, but I hope to recoup at least $2k from selling the new R380. A 200TDi looks like it will cost between $4000 & $6000 depending on condition for the engine alone and another $2000 at least for installation.

There are also options like the Iron Duke conversion or the OM617, but since I plan on selling it, keeping it pure Rover makes sense.

So, with those options and *tentative* numbers out there, what do people think would result in the best return in a decent-condition '85 90 with heated seats, a Mantec tire carrier, new front seat upholstery, and a spare, busted LT77 in the bed?

O2batsea - thanks for the offer; look for a PM shortly.

Old December 26th, 2013, 06:10 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
First, without knowing what you think you'll get out of it, and without seeing more pictures, I can tell you with conviction that you won't get it. It's too much You are not getting NAS money for this truck and you are trying to increase your expenses past NAS money (although I'm guessing you are already past NAS money but I digress).

Second, your job pricing is way out of line. Make some friends, and have a weekend wrenching session. Even with drunk monkeys could get a swap of a gas 2.5na done in a weekend. Change nothing and it will go smoothly. This should be a $500 job max!

Just get the cheapest like replacement engine in and be done with it man. Any other option is not going to yield you the money you are pissing away on labor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
engine