WTPrice: 3.5L Engine - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:04 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

It would almost seem more simple (at least in my thick skull) to buy a rusted out D1 and transfer the entire running gear over, auto box and all. That way you'd have the bulk of the little stuff you'd need and you'd be able to drive it before hand to confirm that everything works. If you go that route you'd need to sort out the shifter but Galpin's setup works well and is easy.

$.02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Aren't there Bulkhead differences to accommodate the V8?
I'd stick with 4cylinders and go with a new 2.5. Gasser.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:40 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I'm quite possibly wrong, but I didn't think it was any more difficult than some hammer work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
It would almost seem more simple (at least in my thick skull) to buy a rusted out D1 and transfer the entire running gear over, auto box and all. That way you'd have the bulk of the little stuff you'd need and you'd be able to drive it before hand to confirm that everything works. If you go that route you'd need to sort out the shifter but Galpin's setup works well and is easy. $.02
the shift tunnel is different but I believe that is it, I already recommended that scenario bc we have three complete good running at the shop. At this point he is weighing his options, I thought EFi would add value. Biggest issue is running electronics. I recommended going that way and selling the r380, and it would pay for most if not the entire drivetrain.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:46 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

If he went OBD1 to avoid the reduce the number of sensors, I can't see it being too bad. Plus in the "buy the whole disco" scenario, you know you have everything.

Or just put a manifold and carb on top and be done with it. Either way you have a ton more power.

Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
It would almost seem more simple (at least in my thick skull) to buy a rusted out D1 and transfer the entire running gear over, auto box and all. That way you'd have the bulk of the little stuff you'd need and you'd be able to drive it before hand to confirm that everything works. If you go that route you'd need to sort out the shifter but Galpin's setup works well and is easy.

$.02
a ton of work and he's paying others to do it.

------ Follow up post added December 23rd, 2013 01:33 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I'd stick with 4cylinders and go with a new 2.5. Gasser.
The v8 and auto will fit in a truck with 4cyl lt77 tunnel floors and seat box. Very tight on leading edge of the seat box but does fit. Shifter is the easy part.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
If he went OBD1 to avoid the reduce the number of sensors, I can't see it being too bad. Plus in the "buy the whole disco" scenario, you know you have everything.

Or just put a manifold and carb on top and be done with it. Either way you have a ton more power.
If you go 14cux a classic would be a better donor because of how the wiring harness comes out. Disco engine harness is integral to main harness-pita

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 23rd, 2013, 02:34 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Thanks Doug, good to be home. Funny your situation is a lot like this thread- fix and be done and get on with life, or continue to hobble and be at 50% with pain to boot. I just tired of the numbness and dropping everything, so another total joint- now fir the rehab...

In that light, the OP needs to decide his goal, and then design towards that end.

If you want diesel and utilize existing mounts, go 200 like the set up I have, sell off the short 380 (to me that hit is the worst, likely $1k tops)- gets max return, and if converted to LHD, could recover much of the losses incurred thus far.

The Disco route is the cheapest, gets it auto which helps, and Brian has it all ready to go.

The NAD isn't bad, but not preferred, hence will only continue to be a cost, or loss of you prefer.

Least likely recoup- sell as is. At least pull the drivetrain, and the tranny separate in this scenario.

Lastly, pic a path and a shop- we all have different preferences, and this is like 5 people spotting someone stuck- both result in poor outcomes...

Off to rehab- PT that is ;-)

Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:46 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

At this point, my goal is simple: minimize losses.

Corollary goal is to stop dumping money into what is obviously a black hole. At this point, it is looking like the D1 option best satisfies both goals, but I'm still cogitating.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:57 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
....or sell it at a loss to me!
I have a running 14CX truck/drivetrain that could find a new home!

Sorry to hear of your struggles; it can really turn you off to all this Rover crap.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old December 25th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
200 Tdi or fix/replace the gasser are the only viable options here. The v8 swap using the disco parts is going to be a hack job unless you spen boatloads of expensive billed hours on it.

Not sure why anyone would suggest that you install a 200tdi and toss out your brand new stumpy r380 and suggest that the stumpy is only worth 1k us?? wtf aren't they like 900quid?

What happened to your petrol? How did it "blow"? There are no shortage if decent used ones that come up all the time for short money.

2.5 NAD in that truck will just make it slower and louder and add cost to the conversion.

You need to think of this as a 1:1 engine change and not a full drivetrain swap that is going to somehow save you money. That there is a fools errand.

The 200tdi swap would be worth the cost as the result will be a more functional truck than the petrol.

The v8 will be a gas hog especially with the little side tank. Not to mention the fit issues and the complete reconfiguration of your rig.

200tdi and 4cyl petrol will sit right on the chassis mounts with no mods and the changes needed for the 200tdi are all bolt on items. Engine should come complete or don't buy it so ignore all the comments about ancillary components. Just make sure you get them.

But really what happened to the gas engine?

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old December 25th, 2013, 12:49 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I agree with Dave. I think you are going to lose money dong anything else. If it were me I'd find a cheap used 2.5NA and sell it as a running concern as fast and cheaply as possible.

I want to know how the tranny ended up costing $4500!
Old December 25th, 2013, 02:27 PM
rovertrader
Dale

Dave, we are saying the same thing actually. I would purchase the complete 200 setup with tranny and T-case. Sell off the shorty @ $1k (used is typically half cost of new). The killer for the OP is how he got from a $1700 tranny to a $4500 bill for same...
The 200 does make it a functional truck, and will have some value vs it's current state. Spend a little more for LHD and sell the shorty and possibly come out flush- possibly -at best, IMHO.

Old December 25th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Dave, we are saying the same thing actually. I would purchase the complete 200 setup with tranny and T-case. Sell off the shorty @ $1k (used is typically half cost of new). The killer for the OP is how he got from a $1700 tranny to a $4500 bill for same... The 200 does make it a functional truck, and will have some value vs it's current state. Spend a little more for LHD and sell the shorty and possibly come out flush- possibly -at best, IMHO.
Oh ok well I guess I misunderstood. But, keep the stumpy r380 (which is brand new, not really used) behind it. Still say the 2.5na conversion would be a waste of money. 2.25 or 2.5 petrol would be better since thats what the truck is set up for. I still want to know what happened to the petrol motor?

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old December 25th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

The only thing I definitively know about the original 2.25 engine is that cylinders 3 & 4 are now connected by a ~0.25" deep by ~0.25" wide valley, and that it had absolutely no power once whatever the last bit to go failed.

The replacement R380 cost 995 and then another 250 to ship, which came or to be almost $2000 exactly. Customs added another $200 or so, and installation cost me a little over $2200. Yes, that was high for the installation, but the Rover was immobile in a town with no Rover-skilled mechanics, and I was left little choice. I don't know if the transmission is technically new, but I can prove it's from Ashcroft.

From what I've seen, a used 200TDi will run me $4000 and a rebuilt one about $6000, both in parts alone. Factor in the installation cost and the conversion to diesel, and I don't see recovering enough of that to matter.

Putting a 2.25 back in it, frankly, seems like a waste of time and money except for those three purists out there who want an "original" truck, except I've already hosed that by changing the transmission. A 2.5NA isn't a lot better, but at least it would appeal to the die hard diesel guys.

I'm not undertaking a LHD conversion. I'm sure it increases the value of the vehicle, but it's also just good money after bad at this point.

Old December 25th, 2013, 04:07 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
This sounds pretty obvious, but do not sell the shorty, especially not for $1k. If you are going to sell, recoup every last penny you paid for the thing, since it has very few miles on it.

The stumpy you have is miles ahead of any LT77 out there. If anything, I would be looking for an engine that would let me keep my investment in a good transmission.

So are you totally sold on putting in a V8?
Old December 25th, 2013, 04:13 PM
javelinadave
-
-

The labor cost are what is killing you. I just completed a 2.5NA to 200Tdi swap and it went smoother than I thought. Now I paid my way thru college working as a helo mechanic and my two friends are also mechanically inclined but other than the engine hoist and the 2 minutes of welding the swap was completed with nothing but hand tools. I am sure that some local to you fellow board members would help you out with a swap right in your own garage. I'm more than happy to help a local Rover brother out.
If I was in your predicament I would call David at Urban Cruisers and see what he can do to help you with your project.
Old December 25th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

I'm not really sold on anything yet, and have only ruled out very few things; I'm must trying to get a feel from the community what would appeal to the largest market. Of course, as with all things, you ask ten people and get ten different ideas. Speaking of, apparently diesel conversions are hard/impossible to sell to California, which seems like a generally bad thing?

Unfortunately I have a car-and-a-half garage, two other vehicles to worry about, a quarter acre lot, and a shared driveway. Any work will have to happen at a shop, and, at that point, I would only slow them down.

Unfortunately, Urban Land Cruisers is a good eight hours from me.

And, yeah, this will definitely be the first, last, and only Rover I own. I understand the attraction, but it's just not worth it to me .

Old December 25th, 2013, 05:11 PM
rovertrader
Dale

Okay, how about this question- what do you want for it as it sits- motor toast, new tranny? Pics would be nice too...

Old December 25th, 2013, 05:34 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Like JavelinDave said the labor costs are killing you. And, they are half the cost of that shorty r380 so i would factor that and keep the shorty in there like many others have said.

Sounds like you just want out so maybe selling it as is might actually be the best option if you factor your time and costs like sourcing a motor and just finding a shop to install. I personally think a 200tdi would be the most straight forward install AND get the most money in resale. But I think an estimate of $6k installed for a used one is about right and it sounds like you are beyond frustrated with the spending so far. The pisser of the whole thing is, a 90 with a decent 200tdi and a new R380 should be nice driving rig.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
engine