Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old July 21st, 2010, 11:59 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Jay

What process did you go through to paint the wheels? Eventually I am going to either powdercoat or paint mine. New they came flat black (primer). I think I want to paint this set. I powdercoated the ones on the 110 but I think paint might look better
Hi Barry,

I went the powder coating route, thinking it might be a bit tougher. Now that I've seen what the rocks on the trail can do- and talked with some local folks who wheel their rovers here in the rocks of Colorado, I'm kind of wishing I'd painted them. Basically nothing can stand up to direct contact with big rocks. Had I chosen paint I would be at least be able to touch them up. The other thing I didn't realize about powder coating is that when it does get nicked, water can seep under the coating and it tends to bubble as the rust spreads. If you're not planning on wheeling your rig- and the only things the wheels might encounter are tire installers and errant road gravel, etc I'd consider powder coating..but if they are going to be exposed to more abuse than that, painting is a good way to go imo. As far as appearance goes I honestly can't tell the difference between my Series II's wheels- which are painted Limestone and my D90's wheels which were powder coated a very close match. I would think you could do more with clear coats, etc to give the wheels' appearance more depth, etc but that would factor into the cost and wouldn't appear as "stock" looking. For reference I think coating my wheels cost about $400- that covered the sand blasting of the primer, one coating of off-white powder coat and an additional coat of clear. The powder coater I used recommended a finish coat of clear to increase durability. Maybe Goose can chime in with his words of wisdom on painting wheels- if my memory serves me I think he had his wheels painted with something like 87 coats of clear. I think he was trying to gain some offset without using spacers. In all seriousness, I wish I could see his wheels in person- bet they look pretty nice.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2010, 12:08 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

My big issue with steel wheels is rust. I might be ridiculous but when I look in the vents of a couple of the 110 wheels I can see rust in the corners and the wheels are less than a year old. I am not sure if it is the coating cant get all the way in there or I am being nuts. I am just wondering what the other options are for long term durability to combat metal cancer.
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:31 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Quote:
My big issue with steel wheels is rust. I might be ridiculous but when I look in the vents of a couple of the 110 wheels I can see rust in the corners and the wheels are less than a year old. I am not sure if it is the coating cant get all the way in there or I am being nuts. I am just wondering what the other options are for long term durability to combat metal cancer.
Good point- and I had actually forgotten about this aspect. I took in my Series wheels, which had the same rust spots where the painters were unable to get the paint to spray in those tight areas. The powder coater told me they could get the powder into those areas and do a better job- and he was right. I think when they try to paint those areas the gun has to get pretty close to the wheels and they can get runs. With the powder coating they can get into those tight spaces as it's just dry powder at that stage. From that aspect I've been very happy with the quality of the finish. It's kind of vein but I had the tire installers use stick on weights on the inside of the wheels for aesthetics. I probably didn't get as good of a wheel balance but I can't tell a difference with my mud terrains. I was going to try out the dyna beads but I couldn't find any locally. I also made sure the tire shop had a newer machine which doesn't scrape the side of the rim as it seats the tire. I made the mistake of having a set painted in the past and took them to a tire shop with an older tire mounter- the result was a return visit to the paint shop!

If you decide to go with powder coating make sure you choose a shop that does custom work on choppers- and make sure they have done wheels. If you're able to find one they should have the attention to detail for those $60k choppers that would make coating a set of LR wheels a cakewalk. There are a lot of industrial powder coaters out there that do large objects (metal stairways for factories, etc) that don't have to be perfect. From what I understand there is a technique to doing a good powder coating job that looks as good as paint. I guess you can get bubbles and fish eyes if the powder is too thick, etc.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2010, 12:33 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Sigh...one of these days I'll have a Land Rover where the paint that you can see is a major concern. I seem to spend all my time painting the bottom of mine to keep the rust at bay. I painted the insides of the wheels, to try to keep them from leaking.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
ac, fs, rack