Valentine One Radar Detector - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
[QUOTE=nathanwind;273127]Is Trevor a police officer?

I would say he is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
So what do you do in VA if somebody has a radar detector? I though it will illegal to operate an RD in VA? By the way, my Valentine One seems to start getting hits about 1 mile away. So if you are "tagging somebody" about a half mile a head of me, I'll be slowing down.
I can share a story that happened to me years ago. ( and I had NJ tags )

I was pulled over on an "instant on" situation, the officer approached me and saw the RD and asked me what is was , so I responded " It is an RD Sir ", he said " May I see it please " so I handled it to him, he immediately reminded me of the law in VA against RD, the consequences, fines , etc, so I responded " I was not aware Sir ", then he complimented the car, and he understand how difficult it would be to maintain speed limits, however he did not write the law. Coolest Cop I have ever met. So then he proceeded to place my detector ( and mind you back then they were close to $ 800.00 that model ) under my front wheel and said " Sir, I understand you were not aware, I like your vehicle very much therefore I will offer you a special treatment today " so I asked " what would that be Sir ? " he said " you can drive now and we forget this encounter or I return your detector and we start the process " .... I still hear the plastic cracking under my wheels ...
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I gotta ask...what car were you driving back then? Based on the cops reaction I'm sure it wasn't an AMC Pacer.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
For some reason this is how Im picturing Gustavo back then
Attached Images

Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post

Dear John,

this is your TAKE DOWN LETTER, or I'll sue you. where is the DCMA?

*ROTFLMAO*
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Trevor....do you all allow ride alongs?

Every radar detector I have seen goes off randomly and only notices cops when you are next to them, and by then you are caught.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I gotta ask...what car were you driving back then? Based on the cops reaction I'm sure it wasn't an AMC Pacer.

It was a Yugo supercharged *LMAO*

------ Follow up post added March 22nd, 2011 10:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post

Every radar detector I have seen goes off randomly and only notices cops when you are next to them, and by then you are caught.

I guess you never saw a K40 in action. I had a friend Officer put it to the test.

There are also some great Jamming devices ( for the laser only )
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Gustavo as Burt Reynolds / The Bandit...absolutely classic. And I guess the answer would be he was driving a '79 Trans Am. That car has always been on my "want" list anyhow...probably because I love Smokey & The Bandit, and it would give me a reason to grow a mustache. Again.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I still remember using a friend's V1 on a trip from CO to Lake Havasu. It started going off without an officer in sight. We were in the mountains and after a minute or so a girl in the car said "that thing sucks, turn it off." I insisted it was right and sure enough, we came over the next crest and there was a police car sitting in the shoulder. This thing picked him up close to a mile off in the mountains! As far as I'm concerned, the K40 and the V1 are the only two worth having, although I have heard good things about that new Passport that is built in and downloads updates automatically...

I had the V1 in my BMW and F150 and K40 installed in my bike...both are great units!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:10 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Ah Lidar. You need a jammer for that. Detectors are no use.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:44 AM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post

yes we do allow ride alongs. If you want to come down I can email you the form and you can fill it out and send it back then we can figure out a date. I work daylight 0730-1630.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:00 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I thought Jersey plates were the Porsche days for Gustavo!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:06 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Dear John,

this is your TAKE DOWN LETTER, or I'll sue you. where is the DCMA?

*ROTFLMAO*
Hey that was meant to be a compliment. Who didnt want to be the Bandit in 1979?!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Hey that was meant to be a compliment. Who didnt want to be the Bandit in 1979?!

I know.....

I guess my remark from the Thread " Defender that sucks " was not picked up
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick128 View Post
When one goes by speeding I "release" the beam and if they slam on the brakes for no apparent reason that's good enough for a stop for not only the speed, but to locate the detector.
edit: and I should add that I am very good at finding them. It's usually the NC and MD folks that use them while running up and down 29.
You search the car without a warrant on this basis? Make sure you pull over a lime green lotus next time you see one as I would love to challenge this in Court (along with the preemption argument on radar bans). You think some of these people slam on the brakes because they SAW your police car as opposed to having a radar device?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
You search the car without a warrant on this basis? Make sure you pull over a lime green lotus next time you see one as I would love to challenge this in Court (along with the preemption argument on radar bans). You think some of these people slam on the brakes because they SAW your police car as opposed to having a radar device?

no I don't search a car for that. I pull them over and simply ask for the detector. Sometimes I even tell them I have a detector detector. Usually it's still in the windshield. Once I told someone that and they said they couldn't disable it because it was hard wired into the car and the unit was up in the grill and the light was build in the dash. If he had simply said he didn't have one I wouldn't have second guessed him since I couldn't see it. I suppose people might see my car, but how many times do you pass a cedar tree lined on ramp at night on the interstate and when you are 50 yards passed it you turn around in your seat and look back up the ramp to see if there happens to be a police car sitting about half way up on the left in the grass that has already got you in radar? So far nobody has told me that they saw me. Always complete surprise. and when people show up in court Albemarle County to argue radar detector tickets the judge will simply tell them that having one is a tool to avoid being caught breaking the law and will not listen any further.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick128 View Post
no I don't search a car for that. I pull them over and simply ask for the detector. Sometimes I even tell them I have a detector detector. Usually it's still in the windshield. Once I told someone that and they said they couldn't disable it because it was hard wired into the car and the unit was up in the grill and the light was build in the dash. If he had simply said he didn't have one I wouldn't have second guessed him since I couldn't see it. I suppose people might see my car, but how many times do you pass a cedar tree lined on ramp at night on the interstate and when you are 50 yards passed it you turn around in your seat and look back up the ramp to see if there happens to be a police car sitting about half way up on the left in the grass that has already got you in radar? So far nobody has told me that they saw me. Always complete surprise. and when people show up in court Albemarle County to argue radar detector tickets the judge will simply tell them that having one is a tool to avoid being caught breaking the law and will not listen any further.
I am fine with that.

When I was pulled over in VA (for doing what you described -- slamming on the brakes near a cop in a new black suburban with NY plates -- I tossed the uniden I had in a mcdonalds bag in the back) I was threatened with a warrantless search of my truck when I remained silent when he asked about the radar dector he suspected I had. Thankfully my 20 year old self said "I do not consent to the search of my vehicle." Guy made me sit there for a long while and apparently he could not get a warrant because he was MAD.

Ron
Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
MikeRuby
Mike Ruby
'95 D90 #2523

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I am fine with that.

When I was pulled over in VA (for doing what you described -- slamming on the brakes near a cop in a new black suburban with NY plates -- I tossed the uniden I had in a mcdonalds bag in the back) I was threatened with a warrantless search of my truck when I remained silent when he asked about the radar dector he suspected I had. Thankfully my 20 year old self said "I do not consent to the search of my vehicle." Guy made me sit there for a long while and apparently he could not get a warrant because he was MAD.

Ron

Wait, you got pulled over in VA by a cop with NY plates? How's that work?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

wow, rt 29 between Lynchburg and C-ville. Oh the memories of the crown vics with gumballs on the top. You got me in a 1972 VW bug, a 1980 Mazda 626, a 1984 buick 5.7 litre diesel electra wagon and a 1986 VW Jetta. You sent me a letter saying I had so many points and I was so young that I was 70% likely to have an accident in the next 6 months.... but oh how wrong you were. I had already wrecked my 1986 Nissan Sentra in Richmond and gotten another ticket. Somehow dear state of VA, you saw fit to allow me to keep my license and I have been a pretty good guy ever since.... or at least a pretty good guy in that I no longer get caught.

Thank you to my many V1s, thank you VIR and thank you brain for having better judgement and much improved situational awareness.

Trevor - I will tip my hat to you the next time I'm visiting our house in your neck of the woods - Kent's Store.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:45 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Plus let's face it...how fast can you go in a '94 NAS 90. I always say the day I get a ticket in the Defender (or the Series) is the day I start riding a bicycle everywhere.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts