thing of beauty - 3rd brake light bars done - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old January 8th, 2012, 09:57 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Are these ST 3d Brake light bars, or SW?

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2012, 09:58 PM
LRAIRSPEED
pat
1986 d110

Well I can do both. But I think people are just having issues with the ST lights. Right ?
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:01 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Sorry- I mean the bars that the light is mounted on as well. They seem to be a LIMFAC of the original design wrt rust issues...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:27 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Jay,
They are the light bars for a soft top powder coated semi gloss black. I am just awaiting the machine shop to finish the next batch then off to powder coat.
Clay
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Patrick,
Please let us know when the lights are done. I have the next batch of light bars done I think I have 3 not spoken for. Anyone on board?
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

Clay, Sent you an email I would like a brake bar,

Joe
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:44 PM
LRAIRSPEED
pat
1986 d110

Will do. I've been busy with snorkel orders so the lights kinda took a back seat. But as soon as I have a prototype I'll post it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan
Patrick,
Please let us know when the lights are done. I have the next batch of light bars done I think I have 3 not spoken for. Anyone on board?
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:07 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

2nd batch done

2nd batch is done and will go out on Monday. Anyone in for the next batch. It should not take as long as the first two as I have dropped off my tailgate for the shop to use as a direct mockup for the tailgate mounts.
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
I'll take one.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:41 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Anyone else in for the next round?
Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:46 PM
Kneel
Neil Flanagan
94 D90 ST #1092

Clay, I'm in for the next round if you decide to run another batch...
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Yep running another batch of 5. Just FYI to everyone that has purchased these and I thank you all and hope you are happy with them. My markup on these items is about $20 per bar which covers gas to run around and ship these as I don't own a machine shop, I'm just a non-practicing CPA who likes my truck and would like to help others replace the same items that annoy me about the defenders - i.e. rotting 3rd brake light bars. The shop that is doing seems to do a better and better job on them and then they go off to the powder coaters. I don't know how long I will continue to have them made as I am not sure how long the demand will stick around. but I will keep going on these as long as you guys/gals want or until someone else sells them for $20 cheaper . Neil, I will put you down for one so that leaves 4 more up for grabs.
Anyone else in?
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:12 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

I had the complete rear of my D90, including the black wheel holder and third brake light bar all sandblasted, epoxied etc to bring the whole back-end looking as good as the day it came out of the factory. The trouble I'm having is with the plastic top cover of the light which has cracked down the middle. It's been sealed to prevent water ingress but I would really like to have that replaced. Trouble is, I can't find a replacement for love nor money. I saw a metal version available but didn't buy it as it is not stock-looking. Anyone attempted to come up with a plastic replacement for this? If not, perhaps I have to accept the metal version. If there's such a beast out there, I'd appreciate information on it so that I can get'r'dun.
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Patrick was looking into this as I think he was going to take the ball and run with it.

I could look into getting a replacement shell made (2 pieces - top and bottom) but it is really cost restraining to have them thermaformed. The guys I know locally to make the dies charge a mint.
I think tooling maybe in the $1,000 range
Cost for material per light would be $30

So we are looking at "just cost" for 10 shells I would suspect to be $1,300 or $130 just to cover dies and materials. I still would think this is cheaper the having a metal shop work it.

I can look into this further but I would need at least 10 folks to commit to purchasing them at a cost in excess of $130 noting that the more people that jump on the wagon the cheaper the final product would be. Also you will have to use your existing lens and internal light bulb holders with the new shell. Guys, let me know how you want me to proceed if at all or if you want patrick to do it. I am not sure if he intended to make them out of metal.
Clay
Old February 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

I'm in if it's the only way I'm going to get it replaced. Not cheap but I understand why it's so costly initially. I thought the base of the light was metal, Clay? Welded onto the bar if my memory serves me correct. That all said, if there's a cheaper metal alternative and is close as possible to the shape of the rounded plastic, I can live with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Patrick was looking into this as I think he was going to take the ball and run with it.

I could look into getting a replacement shell made (2 pieces - top and bottom) but it is really cost restraining to have them thermaformed. The guys I know locally to make the dies charge a mint.
I think tooling maybe in the $1,000 range
Cost for material per light would be $30

So we are looking at "just cost" for 10 shells I would suspect to be $1,300 or $130 just to cover dies and materials. I still would think this is cheaper the having a metal shop work it.

I can look into this further but I would need at least 10 folks to commit to purchasing them at a cost in excess of $130 noting that the more people that jump on the wagon the cheaper the final product would be. Also you will have to use your existing lens and internal light bulb holders with the new shell. Guys, let me know how you want me to proceed if at all or if you want patrick to do it. I am not sure if he intended to make them out of metal.
Clay
Old February 24th, 2012, 08:04 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

My light

My light on my 94 is comprised of a bottom plastic piece and a top plastic piece with is held together by screws. It then is affixed to a metal base which is welded to the 3rd brake light bar. I am not sure if there is any difference in the 3rd brakes lights themselves though I am unaware that there is.
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:44 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

I'll double-check the set-up on my rig and get back to you. For now, Sailor Jerry rules the roost.
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:40 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
has anyone found a replacement: plastic holder and lens yet? i need one. thanks!!

email is best:
keith@copleymotorcars.com
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:42 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

3rd brake light

Keith,
I am working on a replacement light. Will let you know the progress once done.
Clay
Old July 9th, 2012, 11:44 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
generally speaking: a day / a week / a month? =)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
brake, ht