TD5 engine running in truck - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old May 13th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Hugo

TD5 engine running in truck

I understand that these were never exported to the US by Land Rover.

These are the 5 cylinder 2.5 litre fitted to the Series 2 Discovery 98 - 04 as an alternative to the 4.0 V8 in Europe and other countries. However they were also fitted to the Defender between 98 and 2006 in place of the 300tdi.

This would suit someone who needs a good replacement engine or who may want to convert their Defender. The advantages of the TD5 are that they can be remapped to give quite a lot more bhp than standard. I don't have the associated ecu or other wiring for the Defender TD5 but I can help the buyer source them from the UK

The engine is priced at £825 note Sterling UK £. I can get quotes for shipping. Any Taxes and other fees are the buyer's responsibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2014, 07:15 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I mean, no transmission, no wiring loom, aux? Pics? It's kind of a crapshoot stateside, might be difficult to import and very difficult to fit
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If you can't move it locally to you this suggests some issue. Wondering how you can prove it runs without Ecu etc.

Paper local to where I grew up in Sussex has been reporting a sharp increase in Defender thefts recently. Most people in the US converting to diesel prefer getting an engine from a proven source.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2014, 07:35 AM
Hugo

Rocky it needs an ecu to run. I can post a video of it running. This will come from a bonifide vehicle. It is actually in a Discovery 2. Quite happy to provide any interested party with the registration number and chassis number.

I am based in Cornwall in the south west of the uk.

Hope this answers your questions.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:37 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
Rocky it needs an ecu to run. I can post a video of it running. This will come from a bonifide vehicle. It is actually in a Discovery 2. Quite happy to provide any interested party with the registration number and chassis number. I am based in Cornwall in the south west of the uk. Hope this answers your questions.
Hugo, as stated, pics or it didn't happen; there are many reputable guys selling engines into the us market, your price seems artificially low
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Hugo

Actually if you check out what theyre going for in the uk my price is probably about right. I could either inflate it for you guys or offer you a fair deal. You would have to take care of all associated costs of getting it to you. However I don't want to be greedy.

Pictures to follow.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:45 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Hugo as you can see there is some concern about provenance of items sold here. Personally I think 825 quid for a second hand TD5 is not unreasonable ... But then I have a bit more experience in the UK than most.

Its ironic really as the provenance of many trucks and parts here in the US is seriously questionable

Post some photos ... But I'd also say that there will be very little genuine interest over here.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Hugo

Ok if only to assure you all of its provenance.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ok price for a late td5. Early 99-01 engines are considered not re-buildable in the UK do to the problems with early code cngines and the high cost of replacement parts. These engines have virtually no value here without everything required to do a swap from V8, including the transmission.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Hugo

I don't know what your research is based on. There is a thriving market in TD5 components in the UK for both the 10p and 15p variations. I see threads concerning rebuilds on a regular basis.
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:03 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Hugo,

It's hard for anyone to believe that someone with 6 posts and no pictures is a legitimate seller. X2 the engine has no value without all aux, wiring, and transmission stateside.

My cost analysis was based on the few vendors who are offering turn key kits for td5s. If the engine comes with all aux it's a reasonable price. No one is going to take you seriously without some photos. It's nothing personal, you are just a random internet person who is looking for 825GBP for a fictional engine at this point.
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
I don't know what your research is based on. There is a thriving market in TD5 components in the UK for both the 10p and 15p variations. I see threads concerning rebuilds on a regular basis.
Conversations with Stuart Foley and Ben Gott.

I wasn't attacking your engine, just stating fact. You haven't included the detail as to what year the engine is or how many miles are on it (something the ecu that is not available would have disclosed). Look @ it from the perspective of someone 3-6k miles from the only parts source and then add the very high shipping cost of both the lump itself and all associated bits and then also the future parts. Importing an early code engine for a transplant here is absolute folly in my opinion, especially one that is not complete with the ecu programmed to the engine-specific to the serial number.
Finding someone who can program an ecu to the engine here is a bit of a crap shoot since the engine is illegal here in the US so you cannot confidently take it to a dealer.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old May 13th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Hugo

Fair point. can't argue with that. Photos will follow perhaps not today. if I can link to a youtube video you can see it running too.

------ Follow up post added May 13th, 2014 12:08 PM ------

Uncle Douglas. didn't know it was illegal. Tell you what I'll just go away and leave you lot to it. Wasn't expecting so much negativity over this. Lets get this advert deleted along with my account I clearly have no place hear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
engine, td5