Tail Lamp Boot Kit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 1st, 2007, 08:00 AM
96 D1 5spd
Tail Lamp Boot Kit

I have been replacing the tail lamps over the past few months, one at a time as they fail due to corrosion in the sockets. It seems like a terrible design putting the rear lights in the wheel well open to the abuse of everything coming off the tires (mud, water, rocks, road kill).

Anyway, I stumbled onto this at Rovers North and wanted to share it with everyone. Seems like a good investment.

Kit includes new bulb sockets, rubber boots, clamp, connector repair kit and sealing compound. Does all five rear lamp assemblies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RNK9095.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	9523  

Old June 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM
The kit was an LR recall due to the bulb socket corrosion cause by moisture getting into the bulb sockets , both of my D90s have the upgrade done in 2001. can't recall if did the recall under warranty. I still had to change the bulb sockets 2 years ago on my D90 , due to wading in some deep puddles , but never had a problem on my wife's D90.

Old June 1st, 2007, 01:00 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
I ordered and installed that kit when I rebuilt my truck in 04.

It is a challenge to get a seal around the thin part where the wires go through - I used some sillly-cone on that end. The kit includes plastic clamps for sealing the large end around the bulb holder.

It seemed like a good set-up, and it appeared to keep water out for a few months, but by the following winter, water was finding its way back in.

I used all new parts when I did the install, the kit, bulb holders, bulbs and even tail light lenses were all new. I also packed the connectors with dielctric grease.

These really only seem to work in ideal situations, you have to keep the mating surfaces super-clean, ensure the boot slips all the way onto the back of the lens, seal the small end perfectly, and get the clamp on tight.

I think the only real long-term fix is moving to Arizona or buying ECR's LED kit.
Old June 1st, 2007, 08:44 PM
93 110 | 97 90
My 90 came with them (previous owner), but still had the corrosion problem. I ended up doing the drain hole + dielectric grease to finally stop the problem.
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:23 PM
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
my previous owner either bought or made a shield to cover from the rear tail lights. he took a lot of time and effort to point this out to me when i was picking up my truck but i didn't give it much thought. 2 yrs later i'm seeing why; the plastic has never fogged or faded so i gues he knew what he was doing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

kit, lamp