Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old October 31st, 2003, 01:55 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Stainless steel gas tank skid plate

Hi Everyone,

This is a continuation of a thread from the old board about replacement gas tank skids,
http://www.defendersource.com/discus...s/46/2032.html

As mentioned in the previous thread I was looking for a stainless replacement skid but did not find one that I liked at a decent price so I was looking into having one made for my 90, well I sent in the drawing and received my quote back today……….

3/16 Stainless Steel laser cut and formed to match the factory skid plate.
Qty
5 - 9 ~ $200.00 each

10+ ~ $184.00 each

3/16 Mild Steel laser cut and formed to match the factory skid plate.
Qty
5 - 9 ~ $180.00 each

10+ ~ $170.00 each

The prices seem reasonable to me considering the other options out there, If I can get 5 or more people that want one I am going to go ahead and take my stock skid down to the manufacturing facility so they can copy the design and get started on them.

Anyone interested?

Thanks,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2003, 10:57 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Yousef?
You need one...

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old November 1st, 2003, 03:17 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I'm in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2003, 03:39 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Ok,

So far we have 3 people that are 100% sure that they want a stainless steel skid and two that are a maybe, as soon we get 5 people that are 100% sure that they want one I will remove my gas tank skid and take it down to have the manufacturer replicate it.

Firm:
Dave L (me)
Will S
Rob G

Maybe:
Yousef
Erik

I am making a trip to the shop this week to pick up some other items so it would be nice if I could drop the skid off this week and save a trip (50 miles each way)

If you are interested post here or send me an email
Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:43 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Am I wrong in saying that stainless is much less strong than steel - especially for this purpose?

I'd definitely be in for a steel one.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 08:02 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

First off let me say that I am not a metallurgist, so if someone with more knowledge wants to jump in here feel free to correct me if I misstate anything…..

Depending on the application/use stainless can be as strong/stronger than mild steel, here are some examples as I understand them.

Fasteners/bolts:
For use in fasteners (bolts) steel is desired over the use of stainless since due to the ductile nature of steel, where stainless is “harder” and will shear before the steel fastener will.

Flat surfaces:
In flat surfaces stainless would not bend as easy as mild steel given the same force since the stainless is less ductile than the mild steel, however due to the less ductile (harder) nature of stainless under enough stress stainless will fracture and mild steel will continue to deform, but I believe that the stress that would be needed to cause a flat plate of stainless to fracture would cause a plate of mild steel to bend to the point of tearing.

Hopefully there is a metallurgist or expert with metals lurking here that can drop in and educate us

Art,
I will see if I can get a mild steel one made for you at the same time as the stainless ones if you are still interested.
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:03 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Dave, I am going to move this thread to the For Sale - Parts section. Hopefully you should get some more people there looking for parts.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:52 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Hey Guys,

Well, I removed my gas tank skid tonight and boy was it nasty

I was amazed at the amount of rust, dirt and rocks inside of that thing, anyhow I am going to drop the skid off at the shop in the morning and they will get started on the prototype, I will keep you guys updated and post a few pics when I get the prototype installed

If you would like to see some pics of what the stock skid looked like I posted some here
http://www.slickrockfabrication.com/d90skid.htm

Chris,
Thanks for moving this for me, I guess I was having a blonde moment when I posted it
Old November 6th, 2003, 12:05 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Dave, can I make a suggestion? I had a carrier fabricated from 1/4" steel plate by a local welder last year. Like you, I gave him my old (nasty, rusted) carrier to use as an example. I had him elongate the holes, because I was sure that it wouldn't line up when installed, and 1/4" steel plate wouldn't be very flexible. I was right. Unfortunately, even with the elongated holes, it didn't line up right and I had to drill one a little larger. Also, the length of the back lip is a critical dimension because it butts up against the rear crossmember (as I recall). If it doesn't fit, then the bolt holes won't line up.

If the fabricator is able to make all the carriers exactly alike, using CAM or something, I'd suggest you make sure the first one fits well before you go off and do the others. If they're all hand-made, you might want to make sure that you've got plenty of tolerance in the critical areas and elongate the bolt holes. Perhaps measure the length of the frame, the angles, and the gap between the crossmember and the back edge of the frame, so the fabricator can use that in his design.

Good luck with them. It sounds like an awesome new upgrade!
Old November 6th, 2003, 01:28 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Hi Ken,

Thank you for sharing your experience with making a skid plate, I always appreciate tips/feedback

I guess I should post more info on how the skids will be manufactured so everyone will have an idea of the processes that will be used and the quality that they should expect.

The facility that I use has top-notch CNC equipment, they start by make a CAD drawing of the skid plate and then they write a program for the CNC machines, this way each run/piece turns out the same, the Skid plates will be made using a CNC laser cutter, CNC punch press and a CNC press brake. (CNC laser cutters are awesome )

We always start out with a prototype and tweak the design until it is a good fit before I give the ok to make a batch, after all if I give the ok and it does not work I will have to eat the cost (at ~200.00 each that would hurt)

thanks,

Dave
Old November 14th, 2003, 10:24 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Hi Everyone,

I had a chance to test fit the prototype today and it fit very well considering this is the first pass, I will need to adjust two of the mounting holes by about .250 and tweak one of the bends by a few degrees, but after that I think the skid will be just about perfect

I will submit the changes early next week, and hopefully I will have the second prototype to test fit late next week, after that we can place the order.

Updated pictures of the prototype gas tank skid are posted at the following URL, scroll down to the bottom for the latest pics.

http://www.slickrockfabrication.com/d90skid.htm

thanks,

Dave
Old November 14th, 2003, 10:26 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

By the way, the gas tank skid in the pictures is made out of mild steel not stainless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp00932 (small).jpg
Views:	479
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	103  
Old November 14th, 2003, 10:46 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally posted by dave_lucas
Chris, Thanks for moving this for me, I guess I was having a blonde moment when I posted it
No problem.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 17th, 2003, 06:53 PM
sgarrett
Steve Garrett
1997, Defender

Dave,

You can count me in for stainless.

Steve
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
There are 100s of type of stainless steel. If you want to know the strength, you will need to let us know what type is planned on being used.
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:06 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Hi John,

Currently the plan is to use 3/16 304.
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:40 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

This stainless skid is far and away a better plate than what came stock on the truck…The stock 1/8” plate of say ASTM1026 (giving the benefit of the doubt) has an annealed tensile strength of 65,000PSI whereas the same plate of 304 Stainless has a tensile strength of 85,000 PSI Dave added thickness and added the benefit of corrsion resistance! The hardness of the two metals is about the same at 160 BHN…
All in all i'd say the stailess is a hands down winner... Now if we are comparing to say T1 Armor plate well that's a different story ...And Price!

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Tom Fitzgerald
Tom Fitzgerald
97 D90 SW

Dave,

I would like to go in for a SS plate if you're still adding to the list.

Thanks,

Tom
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The biggest problem with using an Austenetic grade stainless in this application is the lower yield strength. Yield will be around 170MPa versus 250 to 350 for the mild steel. So it will be easier to bend (but about the same to break). The thickness increase does make a big difference. Strength increases with the square of thickness.

I should note that the 304 will probably get some surface rust. 316 should get you away from this. If you are welding, use an "L" grade.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 30th, 2003, 01:58 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Hi,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the final prototype skid plate is done and fits great, additionally we have 6 people that are in so far, this means that we have enough people that we can go ahead and place the order, I will placing the order in about 5 – 10 days so if anyone else is interested in one please speak up now

Here are the people that I have a skid plate reserved for so far, please let me know if I missed your name.

Stainless:
Dave L (me)
Robert G
Erik D
Will S
Steve G
Tom F

Hot Roll Steel:
Art M

Here is the revised pricing information, as you can see I was able to get them to lower the price some on the 5 – 9 order size.

Stainless
5 – 9 $195.00 Each
10 + $185.00 Each

Payment will be due at the time that I ship the skid plates (currently I can accept Pay Pal, check or money orders)
Shipping charges will vary depending on location.

NOTE:
I am purchasing the skid plates with my money and trusting that everyone that said they wanted one will pay up.

Please feel free to send me an email with any questions you may have.

Thanks
Dave Lucas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
gas, gas tank