Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old February 9th, 2012, 11:35 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Jeff, I have an old SG? high lift holder - the style with round tubing and can see two very nice improvements in your design.

1. The integrated handle holder
2. The combination of the square tubing and slotted base plate take any lateral pressure off the pin and holes which should extend the life of it. The holes in mine have wallowed over time due to constant lateral/twisting movement against the pin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Those are definitely two things I wanted to address when developing this design. I think it works well. I took mine out on the trail last weekend and it hung out back there just fine. I have a rack that it mounts to inside the truck for normal everyday use with the clamp attached. Then all I have to do is put it into the square tube that's always mounted behind the spare.
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:59 PM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
On page 2 of this thread, there was some talk about making this work with a bike rack, I would be interested in that. Jeff, have found a way to get an off-the-shelf bike rack to work with your mount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeohana
On page 2 of this thread, there was some talk about making this work with a bike rack, I would be interested in that. Jeff, have found a way to get an off-the-shelf bike rack to work with your mount?
I am close to getting it to work with the Yakima Sparetime rack

http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/spare-tire/sparetime

I think what I have will work with an alloy wheel but I might need to make a different base plate for the steel wheels.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Jeff, I just found this tread, A couple of questions, what size are the holes you have on the square stock, would it take a locking hitch pin? I was just about to buy a wheel nut lock for the spare, But you could make a stub of stock with a round plate welded to it that is bigger than the spare wheel centre hole and using a locking hitch pin spare wheel security, when not using the hilift/bike mounts. Make sense?

I know it would be a bit of pain getting your hand in to lock/unlock, but better then losing a 400 dollar wheel combo

Do able?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
That's a good idea. I keep thinking that I need to get a locking nut set as well but your idea would work too. Getting the key up in there might be tricky.

The hole is 3/8". The trailer lock set I have came with a lock for the receiver which would be too big to fit but it also came with a smaller one that locked the coupler on the trailer end which has about a 1/4" shaft. I bet that one would work. I'll test fit it this weekend too see.
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Unfortunately, I think it's safe to say that this won't work with the Yakima rack without modification to the rack. I bought a rack to do some testing with some different wheel/tire combinations. The one that seems to work best is a steel wheel with 38x12.5 super swampers. There are just too many variables in wheel tire combinations to make a universal product. The snag is that the rack relies on support by being tightened up against the outside of the tire.

One solution I have is for the user to modify their rack in such a fashion that there is additional padding or some kind of spacing between the rack and the tire. This would give the rack the support it desires. It looks to be about an inch of space that needs to be taken up in that area depending of course on wheel/tire combo.

Let me know if that makes sense and is something that you are interested in. I have not priced out the bike rack adapter yet since I have yet to find the perfect solution. If the above description sounds agreeable then let me know and I will move forward. It shouldn't be much additional cost to the package.

Also, price drop on these units!!! I am now offering the Hi Lift mount for $130 shipped

Jeff
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:09 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Jeff - the Yakima racks came with different sized spacers (the 1x1 square stock) that come with the rack (or at least when I bought mine).

Any interest in selling just the plate? I was just going to cut the tab off the Yakima plate and weld it on to a LR bolt plate. I can make my own but your design looks much better.
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don
Jeff - the Yakima racks came with different sized spacers (the 1x1 square stock) that come with the rack (or at least when I bought mine).

Any interest in selling just the plate? I was just going to cut the tab off the Yakima plate and weld it on to a LR bolt plate. I can make my own but your design looks much better.
Yes I would sell you just the plate if you want that. I suppose I could also sell just a Yakima mount that will be a direct replacement for their mounting plate if you want that since theirs doesn't fit our lug pattern. That way you could still use the factory mount on another car for easy rack switching.

I've been stuck on the train of thought that this needs to be both a rack mount and a jack mount, but it just gets complicated with all the variations out there. So if you want to replace the factory part that won't fit our vehicles with a dedicated Yakima rack mount I can do that.

It will be a direct replacement for this part and will allow you to use the factory hardware with their spacers:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2817292900.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	48632  
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
It's time to order more plates. Is there anybody out there who is willing to lick one for the next run? I will sell just the bare plate if you want to make your own creation, the Yakima mounting plate, or the Hi Lift mount.

If you are thinking that you might want one of these please let me know soon so I have an idea of how many plates to order.

Sorry but I'm not sure how much the yakima mount will be since I haven't actually made one yet. Best guess for now is somewhere in the $50-60 range.

Bare plate is probably around $30.

Hi Lift mount is now $130 shipped.

Let me know and I will get on the next run.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:36 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
jeff I'll lick a yakima mount please
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Ok the Yakima mount is done. I have contacted all those who had expressed interest. If they are all still committed the first run is spoken for.

If there are more people that would like this product then let me know and I will do another run.

The mount accepts the factory Yakima spacers and actually fits the lug pattern for Defenders, DI and RRC (unlike the Yakima mounting plate)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-959093212.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	50993   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-267956488.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	50994  

Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Definitely in for a second run. Just sent you a PM
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer
Definitely in for a second run. Just sent you a PM
Pm'd back

I forgot to add that these came in at $70 a piece. If I can do a bigger run the cost should go down a bit.

Thanks
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I really like the backing plate, how it can be rotated. One thing I'll mention is that it appears as though there is no tension put on the sliding pieces. It would seem the Hilift would rattle a bit on rough roads and still place a fair amount of stress on the sliding pieces and the holes. I made my own HiLift holder and at first the guy that welded it up didn't see how it would work.
First, the sliding pieces on mine are pinned at such a length that the piece the HiLift attaches to is actually inside the lip of the tire. This was tricky to achieve with the alloy spare, easier with a steel spare.
Second, the bolts that go through the HiLift are fairly long. This gives adequate space for a washer, wing nut, and hair pin. When I tighten down the wing nuts the HiLift is drawn into the tire. Not only does this provide cushion for the HiLift but it also places significant tension on the pin. This is good because it shifts some of the downward force from the weight of the HiLift. All components of the mount are tight and there is zero rattling or slop.
A simple $7 Poly isolator takes care of the handle.
Just my $.02.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:19 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Jeff, if you do a second run I will take one as well.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:55 AM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
Will this setup work for a SW door(no mantec style tire holder) with the huge U bolt thing for stabilizing the spare? doesn't seem like it would work but I'm trying to get it to work!
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Yes it will work on the door. You will just have to remove the U-bolt thing. It's just bolted through the door and can be easily removed
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:48 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Just a bump for a great product. I was pumped when Don gave me his mount so that I could use my yakima rack (modified original plate) but this one is great because it centers perfectly so if I was ever to use boosts or the stock wheels it would work perfectly.

If you haven't ordered one you really should.
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1288498175.png
Views:	164
Size:	881.1 KB
ID:	53517  

Lower Navigation