Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old May 10th, 2016, 12:38 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Roof Rack Farings For Sale

I designed and built a roof rack fairing after I installed a roof rack on my truck. It eliminates most of the wind noise from your roof rack that is generated at freeway speeds.It is made of 18 guage aluminum with a stout aluminum frame that attaches to the 4 hard points on top of the A pillar roll cage. I am selling them for $300. each. I have attached some images below. You can get more details and see more images of the rack fairing on my americandirtroads.com website under the Defender Products page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D90 rack rack fairing 10.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	149078   Click image for larger version

Name:	D90 rack rack fairing 3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	149079  

Click image for larger version

Name:	D90 rack rack fairing 8.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	149080   Click image for larger version

Name:	D90 rack rack fairing 7.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	149081  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2016, 06:28 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
holy cow! where have you been? Glad your back!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:11 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the greeting. It is nice to be back - I didn't stop driving my truck out across the western US or stop designing parts - I just didn't have time to fabricate or market them for the general public. I had two other projects that I started which required most of my free time - those are under control now, so I can get back to making components for others. I have designed a few new items that I will roll out and see how they are received. As always I design and build parts for improved function and durability ....the long haul. I bought my truck for the long haul... not as some investment to be cuddled. Most plastic components found on Defenders (or any other vehicle) were made for cosmetic and cost saving benefits during production.... not to last the life of the vehicle. Not that plastics are bad... If I had a choice to hit my face on the dash of a Defender vs a Series IIA '88 - I'd pick the Defender!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2016, 10:21 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Does this work as good as the old fashioned sun visor as well?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:59 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Hi John, no the fairing doesn't block much light for the driver. It does pass over / wrap around the front of the A pillar roll cage bar- helping minimize the wind noise from the roll cage. In the movie "Book of Eli" there was a vehicle used by the bad guys which had one of those old school visors made of Diamond plate. My design could be adapted to be a big visor. all that would have to be done is lower the mounting point of the fairing where it bolts to the aluminum frame and shorten the side piece of the endcap so it doesn't touch the roll cage.

Old May 10th, 2016, 11:01 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Good to see you back, nice work
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB View Post
Hi John, no the fairing doesn't block much light for the driver. It does pass over / wrap around the front of the A pillar roll cage bar- helping minimize the wind noise from the roll cage. In the movie "Book of Eli" there was a vehicle used by the bad guys which had one of those old school visors made of Diamond plate. My design could be adapted to be a big visor. all that would have to be done is lower the mounting point of the fairing where it bolts to the aluminum frame and shorten the side piece of the endcap so it doesn't touch the roll cage.
I'd be interested in a class sun visor, although I'm uncertain how effective they were. I'm assuming they were though, since they were used for years. Not sure why they disappeared on Defenders.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:43 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Good to see you back, nice work
Hi Phillip, thanks for the greeting - and the complements on the hardware.

Old May 10th, 2016, 12:06 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Hi Mark - I went online to look at the visors used on the vintage land rovers. They did not restrict the vision of the driver. But I know when I drove my '64 series IIA 5 door 109 it never went faster than 55 mph. I am sure the use of the visors were dropped when Defenders were made with big motors and drove faster. The design of the old visors would catch all of the air under the lip. (not good) I could easily adapt my design to function as a visor - and not a fairing for the rack. I would design a mount with a very slight downward pitch that would allow any trapped air from the visor to escape out the back over the top of the truck.... I can't say how noisy the wind flow would be at freeway speed though....

Old May 10th, 2016, 12:36 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I'd be interested in a class sun visor, although I'm uncertain how effective they were. I'm assuming they were though, since they were used for years. Not sure why they disappeared on Defenders.
They make them in Australia:

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/members/jo...palton-qld.jpg

Australian Land Rover Owners - View Single Post - Defender sunvisor fix?

Not to detract from OP's great work. Just showing that they make them there, and use them.
Old May 10th, 2016, 01:44 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Hi John, thank you for the input. I just and found the ones being made in Australia. They are nice - they use a mesh screen to block sun and tubular aluminum frame that holds the mesh. The frame screws into the outside edge of the windscreen. It provided me design ideas for those defenders that do not have an NAS roll cage. I saw another one online from England that is a plastic unit - it also bolts to the windscreen.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
ac, for sale, rack, roof, roof rack