Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old July 21st, 2004, 01:58 PM
Reefminis
Windsor
1992 NAS Defender 110

Range Rover MK3 Genuine Seatcovers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7911665057

Any questions??? Don't hesitate to ask. $250 will end the auction early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2004, 03:56 PM
Reefminis
Windsor
1992 NAS Defender 110

How's about explaining yourself better as a site administratior. Your guidelines require that I post a price to end the auction early. Thats fine, I'll do that, but thats not what you asked for. Your guidelines do not require that I post my reserve. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just the type that takes the details seriously. I never, previously, looked at the guidelines because frankly I never could have expected that you would place such a restriction. But to the letter of your guidelines.

$250 will end the auction early.

Many thanks for the welcome. The 110 is a VERY special one with a VERY special history. I found the car in a very unlikely place. It had never been to the US before this year (but is a LR certified NAS). But we can save all that for a more appropriate thread.
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:27 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Actually, thank you for that feedback. The verb-age of the guidelines has now been changed to reflect that meaning better, as well as brought something else to my attention that needs to be addressed elsewhere.

As for explaining myself, the reason is simple, if you are posting something for sale here, in most cases you already have an idea what you would like to get out of the sale and if someone wants it for the price you would like to get for it, you sell it to them. The deal is done and both seller and buyer have gotten what each other wants. Some people don't feel like battling it out for 7 days over a mystery price that may turn out to be priced higher than what they would consider pursuing the item for in the first place. This is a classified section, not an ebay traffic generator. If you list an ebay auction here, it is no different than a listing a normal classified listing, and people are going to want to know what you are looking to get out of the sale, and then they can decide if it is worth it to them to pursue just as they could with a normal listing.

Hopefully that made sense.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2004, 06:12 PM
Reefminis
Windsor
1992 NAS Defender 110

See and thats where I think that you simply just have a problem with eBay. I could care less If eBay got one hit or 150,000,000. I'm just trying to sell a set of seatcovers.

IMHO, perhaps you should just ban eBay listings altogether or perhaps a separate section for the auction lovers. There's just something not quite right with asking someone their reserve.

I don't mean to be argumentative or antagonistic, this is after all your website. You'll do what you will with this place, and who can argue with that? But if you want to relocate (or ban) eBay listings, please go ahead. I'll be glad to relist as a classified listing if the item doesn't sell in the auction.
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:07 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
See and thats where I think that you simply just have a problem with eBay. I could care less If eBay got one hit or 150,000,000. I'm just trying to sell a set of seat covers.
Nah, I don't have a problem with eBay. I have used it quite a bit in the past and never had a problem with any transaction I have done through there. You say you just want to sell some seat covers, and I have no problem with that or that they are listed on eBay, but on the other side of that coin is that, there may be someone here, who really wants to buy your seat covers and will give you the price you want for them now but doesn't want to slug it out for 7 days to get them. People have already pre-decided what price is acceptable to sell their item at when they set a reserve price, all I am asking is that people posting eBay listings here tell us what that price is.

Quote:
IMHO, perhaps you should just ban eBay listings altogether or perhaps a separate section for the auction lovers. There's just something not quite right with asking someone their reserve.
Whats wrong with it? Really... what valid reason can you give that you would not want to disclose the reserve of the auction when listing it on another site in the hopes of selling it? It's not like this is National Security, we are talking Rover parts and really one will not lose out on anything by listing what someone wants for them. The reserve price option is there solely to protect your financial interest so you are not obligated to sell your item for a lower price than what you would like to get for it. In the earlier days of eBay, some listers took advantage of the reserve systems loop holes by a scam of jacking up the reserve to a level that no one would realistically bid too, wait until the end of the auction and email the highest bidder to see if they were interested in the item at their last bid price, thus avoiding eBays closing costs as well as the fee's on reserve auctions. eBay has since put in new fees that make this an unattractive practice by billing sellers a % on the reserve price up front. If your auction meets the reserve, these insertion fees get refunded. You are still charged the closing fees, and you can re-list your auction for free if it doesn't sell. Think about it, if your reserve is crazy high, the auction wont go the distance and you already have been tacked the insertion fees based on the reserve amount, not to mention that since the auction didn't make it to the reserve, the highest bidder is under no obligation to buy the item so you potentially will be losing more money than necessary and you are still stuck with the item.

Quote:
I don't mean to be argumentative or antagonistic, this is after all your website. You'll do what you will with this place, and who can argue with that? But if you want to relocate (or ban) eBay listings, please go ahead. I'll be glad to relist as a classified listing if the item doesn't sell in the auction.
And I am not taking your comments that way. I openly ask for feedback on the site a few forum down in a constant effort to make it better. Your comments earlier are a perfect example of feedback helping improve something that needed to be improved upon and as I mentioned before, also lead to drawling my attention to something else that I need to address. If something cant be changed or I don't feel needs to be changed, I will be glad to explain why, however, they are never discounted or forgotten. Most earlier suggestion from members for the site simply were not possible to implement at the time but now with the newer back-end and software, are in place and even more will be in place once the entire site conversion is finished.

As for eBay auctions, there are sites that outright ban linking to all eBay auctions in their classifieds, mostly because it was being abused by some including those who make their entire livelihood from eBay sales and were using their forums blatantly as free promotional venues to boost revenue. On the other hand though, not everyone abuses that. There is a member on this forum who's entire business is an eBay storefront. They consistently have 100's of items listed at any given time, usually with "Buy Now" prices and they have never listed a single auction that I can remember. If they want to promote themselves, they can in the Vendors section.

I don't mind personal eBay listings as long as they abide by the guidelines. If someone doesn't like my requirements for that, fine, my feelings will not be hurt and they don't have to post it. It only takes me 3 mouse click to delete the thread if someone wont comply so its not a hassle for me. eBay auctions are treated no different that normal classified listings in that if someone is offering something for sale here and someone here wants to buy it, they want to know a price. To put it in a slightly crude but simple way, if someone wants to sell something here, sh*t or get off the pot, anything else is wasting peoples time.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
cover, genuine, range rover