Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old November 13th, 2012, 11:39 AM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall
none - :*(

Registry
Quick Release fire extinguisher mount

buddy of mine prototyped this... I think it is freekin' sweet!

He said he would make a bunch if I can get an order of 10 or more put together... due to the "flammable" nature of the defenders, I thought this might be a perfect place to start...

A simple PM to me for a commitment would be cool... We are working on pricing now... stand by...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That is pretty damn smart!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I'll take three if they are under $50. If it is made of corrosion resistant materials I want one for the boat, one for the 2A and one for the RRC.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I've been thinking of getting something to mount mine on my internal bar in easy reach, and this one looks very clever, but it also does not look like it is strong enough to hold in an accident or rollover. Maybe 2G would be enough to allow the extinguisher to break free and become a projectile.

I have kids, so I think about these things. I would want some kind of positive control safety latch on it.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:14 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Pretty cool.

Depending on final price, of course, but I can see myself in for at least two.

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:16 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I would take 2 if they where under 50$. But they would have to be mountable inside a NAS D90: the attachment part does not seem big enough to attach to the roll cage.
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Hi guys, I just registered here so I could answer any questions directly about this mount.

I never really intended to be making these for other people, I just wanted to make a mount that was convenient for my 3rd Gen. Rx7 (the one in the background of the vid). I don't have a roll cage in my 7, so I planned to mount it to the tunnel in the passenger side floor board directly through the back plate. Because of this, I didn't want to be fumbling around with a latch that would be facing away from me on a traditional mount. Also, I didn't want it to have any sharp edges that could snag on a passenger's clothing, or be annoying to rest their leg against.

You would be surprised at how tightly it actually grips the extinguisher in a lateral direction. However, it can be slipped out of the top or bottom with a little pull. I intend to make an additional piece that is essentially a fork on the top and a shelf on the bottom that would keep it from sliding out, and would still allow you to pull it straight out the front.

With that being said, it is entirely made of aluminum with the exception of the spring and the pins that the clamps pivot on. The one in the vid was a first attempt just tinkering around in the garage, so I have no idea how much time, materials, and other parts are going to add up to. I will begin drawing up the solid model assembly ASAP so that I can put some numbers to it, and hopefully get some pricing together for you guys soon.

As far as the mounting goes, I can either pre-drill full size holes for hardware in the back plate, pre-drill pilot holes (~1/8"), or leave it blank so that you can drill them where ever you want. I would strongly prefer that I only make one configuration though, so we would need to reach a general consensus on what to do there.

I apologize in advance for any slow response answering your questions, but I am constantly on the road traveling for work, and can't be right on top of this at the moment.

Thanks for your interest!
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I am interested what size fire extinguishers will it accomadate?
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

I honestly don't know what size it is. It's an extinguisher I already had laying around so I just used it to prove the concept. When I get home from work in a week or two, I can find out for you.
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:03 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'd probably take like 2-4 myself, maybe more.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old November 13th, 2012, 07:31 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleger View Post
I would take 2 if they where under 50$. But they would have to be mountable inside a NAS D90: the attachment part does not seem big enough to attach to the roll cage.
+1 on attachment to roll cage of NAS
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:53 PM
t42beal13t
Travis
'95 Disco, '95 RRC

Sign me up for one at least. Great design!
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:06 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Looks like a great design. I would be interested to see a real world test in the back of a truck offroad to validate its holding power and also think it would be good to establish what size/brands of extinguishers it will hold.
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

After doing a little research online, I'm almost certain it is a 2.5lb extinguisher. I will verify to be certain when I get home. However, it looks like 3" O.D. is basically standard for this size. I'm pretty sure that is the same as mine if I remember correctly.
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:34 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Just a thought about stopping it from slipping up and down. If the clamp part was lined with a little strip of rubber or other sticky material, that would stop it from sliding out.
I love the idea and can't believe no one did it already. I will take a few depending on price.
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

I thought about the rubber and think it would work if you could adhere it to the inside of the clamp well enough. However, it takes enough force to pull it out of the clamp that I'm afraid it would just rip it off after a couple of times unless it is bonded somehow other than just an adhesive backing. I'll try to see what I can do with it.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:37 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
The pre-drilled holes would allow us to put a bracket. Another option would be an attachment to put large (wide) tie-wraps.
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:09 AM
t42beal13t
Travis
'95 Disco, '95 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohbra11 View Post
I thought about the rubber and think it would work if you could adhere it to the inside of the clamp well enough. However, it takes enough force to pull it out of the clamp that I'm afraid it would just rip it off after a couple of times unless it is bonded somehow other than just an adhesive backing. I'll try to see what I can do with it.

Thanks for the suggestion!
On the inside where the two half collars meet you could trim the edge of the half collars a half inch or so and attach a rubber strip vertically to the main body, that way the rubber strip only comes into contact when the extinguisher is fully seated. Only being one vertical strip it wouldn't have resistance when the extinguisher comes in and out, only up and down.
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Clever design, but I've never had an issue with the standard quick release mount that typically comes with quality fire extinguishers.
Speaking as someone who's used my fire extinguisher several times for car fires, those little 2.5lb units (while better than nothing) aren't really good for much. A 10lb is the minimum size I'll carry.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:36 AM
t42beal13t
Travis
'95 Disco, '95 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Clever design, but I've never had an issue with the standard quick release mount that typically comes with quality fire extinguishers.
Speaking as someone who's used my fire extinguisher several times for car fires, those little 2.5lb units (while better than nothing) aren't really good for much. A 10lb is the minimum size I'll carry.
Mine is also a 10lb unit. An option for this size would be ideal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
extinguisher, fire, mount, quick