Quick Release fire extinguisher mount - Page 11 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old August 21st, 2013, 08:44 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

I paid another visit to the foundry today and spoke with the owner. If all goes well tonight, I will be finished with the pattern board and he said that I could bring it down tomorrow to run some samples! Keep your fingers crossed, maybe tomorrow I'll be posting some pics of the first cast pieces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2013, 10:26 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Awesome work Brian, keep us posted!!!!
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:10 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

I saw the prototype at the rally and it is sweet.

To late to add one more to the order?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:33 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I would like one as well if possible?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:28 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Thanks Tyler!

No problem Z.G, I'll add you to the list.

I apologize if you were expecting to see pics of some of the cast parts here tonight, but I've been sanding on the board all day long, and was up till 1 in the morning last night getting all of the pattern pieces mounted. Unfortunately the foundry doesn't do any casting on Fridays, so I will have to go first thing on Monday morning to have some samples run. The good news is that the pattern board is done now with the exception of a couple of coats of paint that I'll take care of in the morning. I want to let the body filler set a little longer before I cover it with paint.

For now, the only pic I have for you guys is the patterns on the board waiting to be painted.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:52 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

All painted up and ready to go to the foundry on Monday morning to run some sample parts and check it out.

Old August 26th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Good news everyone. They ran some samples at the foundry today and in general everything went very well. The foundry owner was impressed at how well the first run went because there are very little changes that I need to make to the pattern to deal with some shrinkage in one particular part of each piece.

Some more good news is that my buddy who took the prototype with him to the Land Rover National Rally in Ouray said that it held up as expected and the extinguisher never budged from the clamp all week.

Here's a pic of what it looks like as it came out of the sand.

This is a part that I machined the inner diameter on just to see how well it is going to work.
Old August 26th, 2013, 09:18 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Nice!!!
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

I know this update is long overdue, sorry guys. However, since getting back in town after a long month at work, I have been quite busy setting up meetings with local vendors, suppliers, manufacturing companies, etc. to finally nail down all of the remaining details that need to be dealt with. I have also been working on the remaining details that need to be changed with the pattern for the casting which should be all wrapped up this week.

I have two more meetings tomorrow which, if they go well, will bring final resolution to the manufacturing of the mounting base, and the deburring/finishing of the cast parts.

For the sake of time, I have decided to hire a machine shop take care of the machining that I had planned on doing myself. It will add a few dollars to the price, but I am assuming that everyone would rather pay a few more dollars at this point than wait on me to return from work again in order to machine the parts myself. Not to mention that a proper machine shop will without a doubt be able to do better quality work on a CNC than I can do on a manual mill in my garage.
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:00 PM
t42beal13t
Travis
'95 Disco, '95 RRC

I can't wait to have my hands on one of these!
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
please put me down for three
Old September 30th, 2013, 09:04 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

What size O.D. extinguisher will they accommodate?
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:19 AM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

It will accommodate 3.25" OD extinguishers.
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:18 PM
AgRover
Adin
1997 Defender 90 SW Badge #2493

I'm interested! Do you sell a mount for the clamp to fix it to the roll bar behind the seats in a NAS SW?
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

AgRover, so far I have not had any intentions of selling a clamp to be used with the mount, because I figured that most people will have different ideas of where they want to install it. If there is enough interest for the same clamp to use with the mount, I would be willing to source one that could be sold with the mount.

I will look into sourcing one over the next few days and see if my supplier can get them at a decent price.

As an additional update, I should be finished with the changes to the pattern for the sand casting tonight and will be taking it back to the foundry tomorrow. I'm hopeful that this second batch of sample parts will give us the quality I'm looking for.

For those who are curious what had to be done & why...

In this pic you can see the black pieces that were added to the runner in the middle of the patterned pieces. The reason for this was to deal with some shrinkage that was occurring in the part shown in the next picture below. By adding this piece, there will be a large pocket of molten aluminum next to the part, as it cools, which it can draw from rather than shrinking. I've also added a slightly larger radius where the pattern meets the board to help with the sand crumbling and falling back into the mold due to the sharp edges left after the pattern was removed from the sand.

A fresh coat of paint and it will be ready to go.

The shrinkage is right in the middle of the picture where there is a dimple.
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Update

The last week and a half has been great for getting the final details nailed down. I've been so busy that I haven't stopped to update you guys here, so let me get everyone caught up with a few pictures and captions to go with them.

First of all, the second run of castings went very well, the shrinkage issues that we experienced on the first run have been resolved, and there is a minimal amount of pitting on the edge of some of the parts where a little bit of sand is falling down into the mold cavity. The foundry said it is no big deal and they can determine the cause of this issue when they do the production run and resolve it on the spot. I want to stress to everyone that this pitting IS NOT internal to the part, it is only on the edges but I expect it to be completely gone in the final run. Here's some parts straight from the foundry.

I've settled on a shop who will do the cleanup on the clamp halves after the foundry is done with them in order to clean up the flashing and give them a nice uniform finish. Here's what they look like after sanding and tumbling.

I had to redesign the mounting base to reduce manufacturing costs, but the benefit is actually twofold. I redesigned it to be a box which can be formed from a single flat pattern piece which can be folded into a box, then only the corners require welding. It reduced the amount of total inches that would have to be cut on the water jet, and greatly simplified the welding process. In the end it resulted in an 18% decrease in the cost of the base itself. This cost reduction really helped out a lot, because the price target was starting to look like it was going to be in the $80 range which I know many of you would not be happy with, including myself. In addition to the reduced cost, it also provides a wider, more stable mounting base. This should provide more flexibility for those wishing to mount it to a roll cage using one or two U-bolts. Here's a rending of the new design.

One other notable update is that I have also settled on a very reputable machine shop to machine the cast parts. They are the same shop that does all of the machining for Toytec lifts which I'm sure many of you have heard of. The owner is a really great guy and has given me a lot of great advice, as well as contacts for local shops and suppliers who are good to work with.
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:42 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
It is fun to watch your design progress through the various stages. Regarding what type of mount, speaking for myself and probably many of the NAS folks, the best mounting location is the roll bar behind one or both of the front seats. I believe this bar is 1.75" dia. It would be a nice touch if your base was predrilled to support a pair of 1.75" pipe clamps. This of course assumes there is adequate clearance inside the base for the four pipe clamp nuts.
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
... It would be a nice touch if your base was predrilled to support a pair of 1.75" pipe clamps. This of course assumes there is adequate clearance inside the base for the four pipe clamp nuts.
I totally understand where you're coming from, but I have many others on the list who are not intending to install this unit in a defender. If I were to add pre-drilled holes specific for the defender's roll bar, it will add cost to the unit for a feature that many others may not be able to benefit from. As far as having room for the nuts, there shouldn't be any issue with finding room for them, especially now with the newly designed mounting base.
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:40 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohbra11 View Post
I totally understand where you're coming from, but I have many others on the list who are not intending to install this unit in a defender. If I were to add pre-drilled holes specific for the defender's roll bar, it will add cost to the unit for a feature that many others may not be able to benefit from. As far as having room for the nuts, there shouldn't be any issue with finding room for them, especially now with the newly designed mounting base.
Great news there is clearance for u-bolt nuts underneath and understand the reason for not providing the holes. No biggie, it will take 30 seconds to resolve using my drill press.
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Could the base of this bolt on to the back my cubby box?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
extinguisher, fire, mount, quick