ABS PLASTIC 4 57.14%
FIBERGLASS 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 23rd, 2011, 03:34 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Poll - New Screw Ball Idea - Windshield Trim Anyone

O.K so the above the sunvisor windscreen trim is NLA.

Thinking about having a plastic shop do the 3 pieces - left side, doom light holder and right side.

They would in black textured ABS and would be like the 95-97 ST ones - Or I could have them all done in grey. Either way I am only going to do one color.

They would not be covered in black vinyl like the 94s.

I am currently up Sh*ts creek as I need to finish my project and am missing the driver's side one in grey ABS so ....why not see if a local shop can get me a qoute on punching some out. Also not sure if anyone else has experienced this but my 94s are just barely hanging on as the eyelets where the phillips screw goes is cracked and falling apart.

Who's preliminarily in?

NOTE******* IF SOMEONE ELSE IS GOING TO DO THIS AND SELL THEM SPEAK NOW AS I DON'T WANT TO WASTE MY TIME and I will just buy a set from that person. This is not a money maker for me (I am a CPA full time with a 6 month old to love on, not a shop or store) it is to help myself with a needed part and to try to give back to the forum.

I DON'T WANT TO HAVE ANOTHER 3RD BRAKE LIGHT REPRODUCTION DEBACLE please!- Everyone gets interested and then a bunch of the "I'm In" folks on the thread went somewhere else. I want to thank the people that stayed the course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
I am a CPA too and thus bought some white ones from George and painted them black; you would not be able to tell the difference. They were very reasonably priced................YMMV
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:01 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Not sun visors but Above the Sun Visor Trim Pieces

Just in case my post wasn't clear, I am not talking about sun visors but the trim pieces above the visors for ST models which hide the metal windshield frame and are held in place by the sunvisor screws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ok, so probably better described as the windshield trim. I think most would want the vertical pieces as well if going to the trouble of replacing the rest. I'm possibly interested in a complete set, depending on price.

thanks,
charles
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:00 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Clay, I would suggest you have people say what they're willing to pay or set up a poll at certain price points so that you don't get 90 people saying "I'll take one based on price" without them giving you an idea of their threshold like last time. Mine are in perfect condition, but I could see this being useful for others.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Charles,
Your right I should have made the title better. As far as the pieces the go along the windscreen those are easy and cheap to get - try George, Stephen or Rovers North.

So far your the first that is expressing interest.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ok fixed the title. Good point on the vertical trim!
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Josh,
It is kind of a catch 22 regarding willing to pay. Don't get me wrong, I do see your logic. I just called a local plastic shop this afternoon and trying to decide if it is worth it to take a drive up there to get the ball rolling. If no one really cares, I won't take the time to pursue this idea.
If there is some interest, than I can put together expected pricing at certain quantities.
The idea of the post is to get people to think if they want to get a set and 2, it may bring out a member on the board who has a vacuum thermoformer that wants to take on the project and/or 3 maybe someone has a secret stash of them and greed will force him to part with them .
Clay

------ Follow up post added August 23rd, 2011 06:10 PM ------

Charles,
You are the man. Thank you for fixing the title !
Clay
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Ok fixed the title. Good point on the vertical trim!
------ Follow up post added August 23rd, 2011 06:16 PM ------

Off of Josh's point - what do you think is a good price point for them? I think new they were running about $80-90 for the long pieces and $60-70 for the dome light - so figure $220 to $250 for a set?
But if it were me (o...I guess it is me) it I think keeping the price under $200 would be best.

If it was a one piece design would that be acceptable to folks?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
2yellowlabs
Rob
92 RRC, 99 DII, 06 LR3, 09 LR2

Since you asked me to respond via PM, I'd pay $200ish for the set you speak of including dome light.

One piece design OK too.

Rob
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:12 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Rob,
Most likely won't include the dome light as that would be an additional time an effort to track that down. I will see if there are a few more responses before pressing forward with stopping by the molding company.
Clay

Thanks for the feedback on the one piece design as I am want to know what people will consider in order to get the lowest possible price.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 07:52 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Clay,

I would be in at 200 or under

1 part would be ok with me as long as it would install ok in one large part.

Would you consider not having the light hole in the center? I would like to use a diffrent light or LED and people that want to use the stock light could cut out the proper hole
Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Clay;
I would be in at $200 or under, as well - providing the repops are exactly identical in all respects to, and indistinguishable from, the factory original parts for a '97 ST.

I would not be interested in a one piece design.

Thanks for floating this idea out...
Old August 24th, 2011, 01:48 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Dave,
Not a bad idea. We may be able to save the cost by simply not having the mounting holes drilled and the center cut off if that is part of the "finishing work" or they may just mold it with the holes and center dome light cut out.
Clay
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:28 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

O.k. reviving this one. Met with the mold guy today and I am butt hurt - so just for the mold tooling we are looking at $2,400. We maybe able to get them in fiberglass for less of a price but would need to get some commitments. I need to get a poll going like Josh is suggesting. Can somone point me in the direction of the poll creation.
Clay
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Clay - I would be interested in black textured ABS one piece or a three piece design. The plastic backing on the orginals are like the ST door cards...they become brittle and structurally unsound. Mine are completely shot.
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:37 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

trim

Rufus,
Yep I know exactly what you mean. That vinyl fabric on my 94s is actually the only thing holding the mount near the doom light together as most of the plastic underneath is shot.

Anyway the latest is that I have a name of a woodworker who maybe able to make a male mold. The last guy was crazy expensive but he was a mold maker and I am not sure we need a $2400 level of expertise for these.
Clay
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Thanks Clay please keep me posted. Everyone should think about picking this up. If your windshield trim pieces are still hanging in there, they wont for long because the stock ones don't last. The cheap plastic backing on mine (stock) are a crumbled mess.
Old September 29th, 2011, 01:23 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Jesus, Clay. Haven't learned your lesson yet?

Just finish bolting that truck together and you'll be a much happier man.
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:27 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

truck what truck

Jack,
That is a garage ornament never to be completed. it is like the Venus de Milo, no arms and if I sit on it long enough it won't be worth sh*t! I know, I need to get my ass out to the garage. Wife's got me doing hard wood floors upstairs.
Old December 31st, 2011, 04:33 PM
LRAIRSPEED
pat
1986 d110

Hey guys. Reviving the post again. I have been making the wing top scoops and snorkels for a few guys on the forum and someone had asked about making these parts. Well Im happy to say that I have made a set and they are ready to purchase. These are made from black ABS with a crinckle finish. I have the center dome light, the two sides and the a pillar pieses too. I am also making the dash radio console if anyone is interested. I will try to post pictures in a little bit.

Here is the pricing

All 5 pieces will be $200

The radio console at $50

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts