Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old September 8th, 2005, 06:18 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
Hey Jim... I know it's only been 2 months but did you send those lines pony express ?

N
Fed Ex same difference

Be sure to call for installation instructions. If you like the bling stainless lines you can send mine back. And remember your PM said you were in no hurry for them, so I took you at your word.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2005, 06:24 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Jim,

I hear ya... But I figured this was the only time I could ever give you some 'red-ass' ... LOL.

No worries mate, I doubt I'll start it for another few weeks, so don't rush... Just didn't want you to forget about me.

Doesn't need to be stainless bling, just want them tight. Hopefully I can figure it out but I may call you.. I'll try to make it before 2 a.m.

N

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:38 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Jim,

I hear ya... But I figured this was the only time I could ever give you some 'red-ass' ... LOL.

No worries mate, I doubt I'll start it for another few weeks, so don't rush... Just didn't want you to forget about me.

Doesn't need to be stainless bling, just want them tight. Hopefully I can figure it out but I may call you.. I'll try to make it before 2 a.m.

N
Here is what you got for your $
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nrd 003.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	3768  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Success! Finally got a chance to finish the installation of the mocal t-stat, aeroquip hose and fittings (per Hans) and 10ba hose barbs from adaptors and fittings.com. no leaks, fresh hoses of a larger diameter and fairly inexpensive. Resealed the oil pan as well which took care of some drainage. Highly recomended.
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:52 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Be sure to call for installation instructions.
Hey Jim...

Nah, don't need the bling, just need a good set.

If you could write everything down in an email OR better yet post the instructions in this post, would probably help me out a lot and a lot of other people on the board who have questions as to the 'process' of replacing the oil cooler lines, from scratch.

I'll have to write them down anyway, and this way there's no miscommunication over the phone.

Thanks a bunch,

Nicholas Orros
Old September 28th, 2005, 12:33 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Hi Anthony

Crongrats again on the wedding and hope you had a good honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
Success! Finally got a chance to finish the installation of the mocal t-stat, aeroquip hose and fittings (per Hans) and 10ba hose barbs from adaptors and fittings.com. no leaks, fresh hoses of a larger diameter and fairly inexpensive. Resealed the oil pan as well which took care of some drainage. Highly recomended.
It's not bling I am after, but a reliable solution, which in my mind does not include me making my own hoses. I am also a CB, so cheap is good - these two seem to be mutually exclusive though . Can you link me to the relevant post in this thread that shows which solution you went for, and maybe do a writeup (or consider helping me if needed :D ). I really need to do this before becoming a statistic.

charles
p.s. I still want to take you up on the offer to weld my exhaust if it hasn't expired.
Old September 28th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Thanks, yah, wedding went well, honeymoon was fantastic despite getting straded in Puerto Rico for 2 days.

the link to the basic setup I used is on Hans' site: http://www.siegecraft.us/mocal.htm

I did source the connection from the hose to the cooler from a different place. I'm also not sure if I'd use the oetiker clamps again as they're miserable to remove if necessary (think hacksaw). It did take some experimentation with the routing and length of the lines but now that I've done it it would be a cinch to replicate.

This solution is well under half the cost of the rover accessories components, though it doesn't use the braided steel lines. All that said, with the price of the factory lines being as compelling as they are from some of the places listed above, I'm not sure the value add of this setup is necessarily worth the time. Especially when the cooler isn't really necessary. And most of those lines have lasted as long as they did (mine weren't leaking yet on my early '94 with 86K on them.

Honestly, it's fine for what I need, should last at least as long as the factory hoses, includes a thermostat and increases capacity in the lines, all of which is a nice to have but not a have to have. Interestingly when I removed my original ones that had never been off the truck, I realized one was installed with a kink in the line. Nice.

I'd be happy to help with the installation of whatever hoses you go with (and I did purchase the oetiker clamp tool which you're welcome to borrow). I'd also be happy to weld the exhaust up for you, though I have found a local shop that's willing to bend up custom exhausts reasonably.
Old September 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Hey Jim...

Nah, don't need the bling, just need a good set.

If you could write everything down in an email OR better yet post the instructions in this post, would probably help me out a lot and a lot of other people on the board who have questions as to the 'process' of replacing the oil cooler lines, from scratch.

I'll have to write them down anyway, and this way there's no miscommunication over the phone.

"This way we can have miscommunication over the internet" ------I'll give it a try here for you.

Thanks a bunch,

Nicholas Orros

First off consider the hose clamps. I prefer the odiker style that work best with the correct pliers to fasten. But side cutters will work also. You may be short one and could find another in the sprinklert section at a hardware store. And sometimes the odiker style must be stretched to fit around the hose when it is installed on the barb. Also the odiker clamps have to be installed before the barbs are inserted into the hose. But the regular clamps will work as well. The barbs are a tight fit as you will find out soon.

Install the filter adapter with the old o-ring from the original set- leave the through bolt fastener a little loose. Install the shortened metal lines to the radiator without the new orings at this point. Now spend some time clocking the filter adapter so the replacement hoses will be routed in the best fashion. tighten the through bolt. Then use the mounted barbs sections to cut the hoses to the correct lenght. Use the natural bend of the hose to make the routing successfull. Mark the barbs and hose with a magic marker to clock them for installation with everything removed.

Remove the lines and filter adapter. Swab the barb and inside of new hose with vaseline or motor oil before installing the lines. Remember to put the odiker clamps on before putting both barbs on the new line. And be sure to tighten the clamp over the middle section of the barbs. The new hose are a tight fit so some rubber gloves will help with installation.

Use a new o-ring on the filter adapter. Remember you can steal one from a new filter. New o-rings on the steel lines to the radiator. This whole process is easier with the fan blade and fan shroud removed. But be sure everything is going to fit later of course.

Norros maybe read though this and ask some questions here. I wrote this up quickly so surely something was left out.

JP

Old September 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Jim,

Will do... Much appreciated.

Nicholas
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:48 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

IN for a set if this is still happening. 97 D90
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:59 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I'm waiting to see what sort of discount we can get. Should know very soon and then we can organize this.
Old October 5th, 2005, 02:43 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You guys after the bling sets or my hose deluxe models?

JP

Old October 5th, 2005, 08:40 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I'm leaning towards the Rover Accessories setup - and not because of bling! I think is too but replied to wrong thread.
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:46 AM
m.michaels
Matthew Michaels
1997 D90 SW

I Will Take A Set

I will take a set as well

Matt
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:59 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Guys, here's the thread for the Rover Accessories setup:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=6326

Post to it if you're in.
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:11 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

UPDATE:

Charles at Rover Accessories has offered a nice discount for quantity 5+. Email me to get the discount code. I would like to get 5 of us to order today, hence the "group buy".
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ok, got my RA "bling" hoses this week, and went to replace them today. I got hung up with the radiator inserts. On mine, a lock nut came off, leaving the threaded insert in place. Looking at it, it just looks line one piece with all the same thread pitch (course). The replacement insert has two differnent threads, the one going into the radiator is much finer, and so I'm concerned its not going to match. I believe my radiator is the stock kind for a '94.

Anyone know if the current insert has two different thread peiches or not? I dont want to ruin the current insert trying to remove it, and find the new stuff wont fit. I need to get this back running by friday for a trip to Paragon

charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_besore
Well, they the new oil cooler lines are now installed. I put a fire sleeve type protector over them, that is supposedly fireproof, oilproof and good up to 2000 degrees - I figured this would prolong their life. The ones also route away from the manifold more than the oem ones did.

The biggest pain was getting the inserts out of the radiator which refused to budge until a thorough dousing with WD40 and a 4 foot breaker bar on my socket, and finally was able to get them out.

I will have to take some pics of the new hoses to share.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts