Oil cooler hoses - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old July 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Might just be sale prices, but RoversDownSouth has them listed on the engine page right now.... though I just noticed he doesn't specify what years for the V8, and I'm pretty sure the serpentine setup is different than the V-belt setup. (another updated to make on the website).

But these ARE stock lines, with the associated lifespan issues.

July Special
Genuine Land Rover
Engine Oil Cooler Lines
300tdi PBP500190 $60.00
300tdi PBP500200 $60.00
V8 ESR1915 $80.00
V8 ESR1914 $80.00

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2005, 11:24 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtracer
This is what I did on my 98 D1. It was 80$ & used my original lines. I have not done the 110 yet but will happen soon. I have the mocal & am trying to figure options as far as cooling, routing what not.
Compression fittings. Nice. I have done that to keep from removing front oil coolers before. And tap into old coolers. You can use hydraulic compression fittings to do this as well.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:45 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

The process

A couple pictures of my approach. These will be norros lines if he sends me $. Not the finished product but gives you an idea. I'll post again when they are done. Send me the $ norros.

See the weld on barbs.
The hose is extra thick 250 psi gates multipurpose hose.
Customer will route and cut to size the hose themselves, so some assembly required.
Heres a secret. The square o-ring needed for the sandwich plate can stolen from an oil filter.

Jim Pendleton
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jrtn 011.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	3422   Click image for larger version

Name:	jrtn 012.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	3423  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2005, 10:10 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Jim
No problem... Can't wait to get them, email me on where to send & how much.

Nicholas Orros

'norros'

Old July 14th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

From the FWIW department:
I had a local shop rebuild the oil cooler lines as well as the power steering lines. They welded new ends on the pipes and high pressure, high temp. hose in between. I don't know what you would call the type of fitting they used but they assured me it was vastly superior to what I had stock. The whole nine yards ran me $239 dollars and change, so I assume just the oil cooler lines would probably come in under Hans' $160 mark. If this is the type of thing you guys are looking for, and you're interested, let me know and I will see if I can figure out how to post some pictures, and dig up a phone #.

They were nice people to deal with and had the whole thing done in about three hours.
Old July 16th, 2005, 06:04 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I agree that having hoses made locally could be the most cost effective way to achieve this. Did you have any fitment problems when they cut and crimped the hose themselves? I find it easier to test fit in the vehicle and cut to length the replacement hose. Let us know your thoughts here, Rod.

Jim Pendleton

Old July 18th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Pendy (all knowing one),
That is an excellent point. The power steering hoses routed perfectly. The oil cooler lines seem a little different, not enough to cause a problem and the difference may be explained by the sandwich plate not being exactly as it was before. To tell you the truth, I didn't think to tell the people that the ends needed to be replaced in the same aspect as before. Luckily, they have been around for a while and probably assumed that it was important. I can see how it could be a complete cluster if not done properly. I'm still trying to figure out how to size/post pictures. Its really nice looking work, and I'd like to hear your opinion on whether these type of fittings are as sturdy as they look.

Rod
(computer idiot)
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:14 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You can send me the pictures I'll post them. Reclocking the sandwich plate is a good way to get a good fit.
Look forward to seeing your install and sharing it in the post.

All knowing, what?
JP

Old July 20th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Hey, pendy!
I am just strutting around like a banty rooster! That is, if there actually are some pictures down below....
Sorry for the delay, but there are some things we have to learn for ourselves.
What do you think of them?
Go ahead, I can take criticism. Do you think I have enough clearance from the exhaust manifold? Have you seen fittings like that before, and do you think they'll hold up alright?

"All knowing what?", That's a good one, just the kind of modesty I would expect from you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new fittings.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	3442   Click image for larger version

Name:	new fittings II.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	3443  

Old July 21st, 2005, 10:32 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

ouuuu. Parker Stratoflex. good stuff. Easy to work with and repair. Can be expensive depending who you buy it from. The hose is heat resistant, but some heat shield type material could be placed over them as well. When life allows you the time to find some, that is.

Modesty you must have me mixed up with someone else.
JP

Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:23 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Jim,

I forgot to email out a check this week, it's been hectic... So, I'm just going to FEDEX overnight it to you. It's on it's way... sent you an email as well.

Nicholas Orros

Old August 25th, 2005, 05:55 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

I'll take a set also! Thanks for the good work!
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

I rebuilt mine a year and a half or so ago and replaced the metal pipe sections with .5" ID Stainless tubing. Took it to a local shop and they made exact duplicate of the original end that fits into the radiator oil cooler. Then they flared a female nut (37d AN) and I used Earls stainless 1/2 (-8?) line from there to the banjo where I had another flare and female coupler. I had the tubing from my place of emplyment and bent everything myself so the cost was really only in the crimped fittings at the radiator and the cost of 5-ish feet of hose and four braided fittings. I am one of "those" cheap bastards! I am going to attempt to post a picture of the stainless sections. Well I will once I figure out how to!!

I just figiured out if I read all the way down the page, it says, "manage attachments" guess I should pay a bit better attention. Hopefully, this worked out.

JBR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D-90Oil2.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	3637  
Old September 3rd, 2005, 01:34 AM
eric_besore
Eric Besore

I just picked up set of new oil cooler hoses from roveraccessories.com. Here are some pics of them before install.

They came with a milled alluminum sandwich plate and the two hoses, and all end connectors. The hoses are overlayed with reinforced stainless steel braid. They are pretty burly. The whole kit was $245, which actually isn't so bad, as it does include the sandwich plate.

When I was looking at using the mocal sandwich plate and making my hoses it was going to be $200 plus, without stainless steel braid, so this seems reasonable. The hoses look and feel way beefier than the oem ones. Once I get them installed I will let you know how they work, someone else here looks like they had them already.

Follow-up Post:

Here are a couple more pics... the other side of the sandwich plate, which has a relieve valve, and a close up of one of the end connectors.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4196.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	3720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4197.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	3721  

Name:	IMG_4198.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	3722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4199.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	3723  

Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Is installation straight foreward or do you have to be concerned about the oil pump losings its prime? Is this something you could do when you change the oil? seems pretty simple/.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 01:51 PM
eric_besore
Eric Besore

how to do it

I think it should be pretty straightforward. As far as I am concerned, it's like changing your oil. The filter comes off, hoses come off, stock sandwich plate comes off, then new sandwich plate goes in, hoses go in, and filter goes back on. Top off the oil with an amount equal to the amount that was lost during this process - that is my understanding of it, but will see how it goes. I just changed my oil recently, so I plan on reusing the filter that is there already.

I am guessing you would want to run the engine for a bit afterwards, then let it cool down, and then top it off further as necessary.

Someone else here who has already gone through the process might point out any errors on my part, this is all speculation.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:23 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

All sounds fine, Eric. I've had the sandwich plate(s) on and off a few times, no issues. Just remember to fill the filter with oil before u put it back on. And check the oil pressure gauge when u restart of course.

Doug W.
Old September 5th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Jammer 48
John Miller

Me too.
Old September 6th, 2005, 02:15 PM
eric_besore
Eric Besore

Well, they the new oil cooler lines are now installed. I put a fire sleeve type protector over them, that is supposedly fireproof, oilproof and good up to 2000 degrees - I figured this would prolong their life. The ones also route away from the manifold more than the oem ones did.

The biggest pain was getting the inserts out of the radiator which refused to budge until a thorough dousing with WD40 and a 4 foot breaker bar on my socket, and finally was able to get them out.

I will have to take some pics of the new hoses to share.
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:43 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
These will be norros lines if he sends me $. Send me the $ norros.

Jim Pendleton
Hey Jim... I know it's only been 2 months but did you send those lines pony express ?

N

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts