Oil cooler hoses - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old July 5th, 2005, 04:26 PM
rvrsrvc
Trevor Griffiths
71 109 double cab

That is a good idea!
My efforts were to try an eliminate the flaw in the Rover design. There is no "bump" on the end of the pipe where the rubber is crimped. Admittedly, I haven't seen any where the hose came off the pipe, usually they are failed hoses, but that was the premise behind the welded-on JIC fittings.
After Rausch two weeks ago where Drew's Disco's p/s hose burst causing a small fire, we fitted firesleeve around the standard replacement pressure hose for his Rover.
If one were to have the hoses remade using the stock pipes and configuration, I would encourage the use of the sleeve. (It's cheap enough!)

Follow-up Post:

I have 2 ESR 3693 (now PBP101150), 1 ESR 1671; 2 ESR1914 (banjo), 2 ESR1915 (banjo); two ESR 2813 oil coole rhoses as core pieces. I can have the local hose shop refit them with modern hose and firesleeve to get the ball rolling. (I will run down there tomorrow and confirm that they can actually do it!)

Follow-up Post:

2 different shops say they can't crimp on new hose to the old metal pipe. Well, the old hoses are here for anyone who wants them for this project. I do have about 5ft of the 1" firesleeve though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2005, 01:03 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I have plenty of core hoses and can build a generic setup for D90.com members. I will cut the hoses and braze on barbs. And supply some suitable hose that would be cut to fit and the responsibility of the installer. Odiker clamps or hose clamps would do it. The barbs will be an oversized tight fit. I do this all the time for customer trucks.

What would be a fair price? Hoses can be bought for 100-120 apiece I think. This could turn into a real hassle so I am not going to give my time away. Plus we are talking about a better product that can be rebuilt again and again. 250.00 plus shipping and a 50.00 core. Maybe some Pendy Import stickers can sweeten the pot. If this is to comercial then erase my post Mike.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Oil cooler lines 300 Tdi

Any idea if they would fit a D-90 with the 300Tdi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Anybody else tried this installation http://www.siegecraft.us/mocal.htm -- looks like a damn good solution to me . . .
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
Anybody else tried this installation http://www.siegecraft.us/mocal.htm -- looks like a damn good solution to me . . .
You might try asking Hans it's only his website

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/members/hans-94.html
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
You might try asking Hans it's only his website

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/members/hans-94.html
I meant anyone besides Hans . . . that link had gotten buried and I thought it might be good to revisit his idea at this point.
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:27 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crandall22958
Any idea if they would fit a D-90 with the 300Tdi?
I prolly have a set of 300 tdi hoses that could be modified for replaceable hose. Is that what you are asking?

Does anyone want me to post pictures of the braze on barbs and process I use to do this? I may have some transmission cooler lines to do this week.

JP

The link from Hans site shows a good solution. I had seen it some time back. But the length of flexible hose seems to long for my taste. I retain the metal lines coming out of the radiator.

Also the standard rover sandwich plate has a thermostat in it as well. I do not understand what Hans was trying to accomplish in that procedure.

Old July 6th, 2005, 10:31 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I like Hans' solution. What we need is someone to make us the hoses for that setup so we dont have to deal with that ourselves. Seems to me that will come out the same or less as trying to fix our current ones, and give us more options for the future.

Would anyone be willing to make and sell hoses for that setup?

charles
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:37 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Well I got my answer. Its not worth my time. No interest at all.

Old July 6th, 2005, 09:55 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

shit... I'll show some interest, and I'd probably buy a set for a 3.9.
So, if you got 'em let me know or even post pics.

Thanks,

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

My 110 now has a 7X21 inch oil cooler from JEGs mounted on the steering protector (yeah, yeah heard it before) and a Mocal thermostat plate. I got rid of the metal elbows that came with my earlier braided hose and increased the inside diameter of the whole set up to increase flow. Then mounted two flexalite 6.5 inch fans on the cooler.

We're running the NVTR in 95 degree desert heat this weekend. My only overheating question that remained was running uphill on shelf roads and/or rock gardens when aired-down, so we'll see this weekend if the new oil cooler rig has solve that issue.

The mocal t-stat is great, but don't think you need it unless you're running a higher than stock capacity cooler.

Doug W.
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:13 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
shit... I'll show some interest, and I'd probably buy a set for a 3.9.
So, if you got 'em let me know or even post pics.

Thanks,

Nicholas Orros
If you will buy a set I'll build them and post pictures here for people to see what I am talking about. Plus I'll show parts and pieces so all the cheap bas3*%@# can do for themselves. I will even try to get part numbers so you all can search for online sources of the items and post links in this thread.

JP

Old July 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM
R. chili
Rob Childress

please let me know when I can get one.
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:39 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
If you will buy a set I'll build them and post pictures here for people to see what I am talking about. ..

JP
Jim,

I'm good for the money... Just let me know how much & when. Done.

'Tanks

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

You've seen stock sandwich plates that had a thermostat in it? Mine definitely didn't, just a basic adapter plate. The only valve in my factory oil system was the pressure relief valve in the pump housing, which I double checked when I had the pump apart during my head gasket ordeal. I wonder if there was a couple part numbers from Land Rover, they have no information at all in the shop manual at all. I'd like to put that info on the website if you have it.

For me, it's actually just part 1 of an ongoing project. Eventually I am going to add an external oil cooler to the system, and finding 5/8 UNF threaded fittings to go into the stock sandwich plate was just too damned hard around here. This allows me more flexibility down the road when I finally get to that step, and my original hoses had to be replaced ASAP... so I figured, why not do this part now?

Pendy. I think that making better hoses than stock is a valiant idea, but being able to do it economically may not be possible from your standpoint. You've always been a good guy, and I'd hate to see you lay out all the cash and be stuck with a bunch of hoses laying around. Some guys might be willing to spend the $250, especially the more hard-core types that understand the difference and need the extra durability. But the average guy most likely will go with the factory parts at $160 for the pair.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

This is some good info for the CHEAP guys! Like ME!
http://www.siegecraft.us/mocal.htm
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I do have to make an update to that page, as somebody pointed out to me. I didn't get the barbed 1/2" NPT fittings from an online source, but got them locally. I'm trying to find an online source for them to quote on there, but haven't had any luck yet.

-Hans

Edit:

Page now updated with a few bits, mostly regarding parts sourcing. If ANYBODY tries this and has problems, let me know so that I can try and warn others.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Hans please post the source for both oil cooler lines for 160.00 here so people can make their choice. it may have been mentioned already but humour me for the new readers.

I guess I will build a set for Norros and go from there. It will be detailed here so people can make an informed choice and be sure to get what they pay for. The replacements at 160.00 seems the most cost effective route.

I did like your approach to the problem. And an external oil cooler is a very good update as well. I will have to look at my sandwich plate collection as I remember them to be heat contolled. Could be just the earlier models though. Maybe I can snap pics of them also.

JP

Old July 8th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

AB has the top for $80 and the bottom for $63. Jim, I'd love to see what you're making. The Mocol is heat controlled and seemingly untapped for a guage, which seems odd.

Tony
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

This is what I did on my 98 D1. It was 80$ & used my original lines. I have not done the 110 yet but will happen soon. I have the mocal & am trying to figure options as far as cooling, routing what not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 resto 011.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	3409   Click image for larger version

Name:	110 resto 012.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	3410  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts