Official: GB: Quick Release Fire Extinguisher Mount - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old November 26th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Good news to those of you who have already put your order in. Due to a recent change in events, I will be financing the remainder of the orders needed to begin manufacturing. I contacted the various vendors yesterday afternoon to get the ball rolling. I will work on putting together a schedule over the next few days, to provide as accurate of a time frame as I can, for when I think we will be able to start shipping product.

For those who haven't yet made their payment to reserve a specific order quantity, just as a heads up, the group buy price will no longer be available at some point in the future. However, I'm not sure just when that will be at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Wildcat
Nick
1997 Defender 90 SW

I sent you payment through PayPal for 3 clamps this weekend.
Old December 10th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Thanks Wildcat, I got the payment. Here's the updated list.

1. john karlsson, 2 Clamps
2. backstay, 2 Clamps
3. maleger, 2 Clamps
4. repentsinner, 2 Clamps
5. cavdiver, 1 Clamp
6. revtor, 1 Clamp
7. reno, 1 Clamp
8. dnufer, 1 Clamp
9. leastonce, 1 Clamp
10. roverenvy, 1 Clamp
11. D90MD, 3 Clamps
12. gravitysuks, 2 Clamps
13. smokedfish, 1 Clamp
14. myoverlandrover, 1 Clamp
15. jayz, 1 Clamp
16. Tucker Y., 2 Clamps
17. themaxx, 2 Clamps
18. Jedelmann, 1 Clamp
19. cgalpin, 2 Clamps
20. Hinckley423, 1 Clamp
21.Birdman, 1 Clamp
22.skeeball, 1 Clamp
23.smob, 1 Clamp
24.keoni004, 1 Clamp
25.jumping jellyfish, 4 Clamps
26. d_scar, 2 Clamps
27. SSCR, 1 Clamp
28. M.Miller, 1 Clamp
29. Howsomever, 1 Clamp
30. Wildcat, 3 Clamps

Total = 46 Clamps

Please send PayPal to centeraxis@comcast.net rather than the previous PayPal address I supplied. I set up a new account so that I can keep the group buy payments separate from my personal activity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2013, 07:03 AM
myoverlandrover
josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohbra11 View Post
Good news to those of you who have already put your order in. Due to a recent change in events, I will be financing the remainder of the orders needed to begin manufacturing. I contacted the various vendors yesterday afternoon to get the ball rolling. I will work on putting together a schedule over the next few days, to provide as accurate of a time frame as I can, for when I think we will be able to start shipping product. For those who haven't yet made their payment to reserve a specific order quantity, just as a heads up, the group buy price will no longer be available at some point in the future. However, I'm not sure just when that will be at this point.
Any update on eta?
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

I spoke with the extrusion company yesterday and they informed me that they are working on the die tooling to create the profile for the clamps. The expected delivery is around the 15th of January. However, they said that if things continue as they are now, an earlier delivery could be expected. I also spoke with the shop who is manufacturing the mounting bases, and all of the cutting has been completed and all of the parts are now with the shop who is performing the bending/welding services. I will personally go check in with the shop either this afternoon, or tomorrow to see how things are progressing.

Because of the lead time on the extrusion, I am estimating a worst case scenario of roughly the third week of February for orders to start shipping. I hope it will be sooner than that, but I would rather give the worst case scenario than to end up shipping later than I said I would.

I will continue to update you guys as more information becomes available.
Old December 11th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

I just got back from checking out the bending & welding operation and I have to say that I'm very pleased with the work. The bending is being completed on a press using a die so the accuracy/repeatability is excellent. All of the bases should be complete around the middle of next week.

Old December 12th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

I just got the word that all of the bases are done, I'll be picking them up in the morning.
Old December 13th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Old December 13th, 2013, 02:39 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
oooh aaaah shiny...

are there going to be any mounting holes, or slots or anything, or is that up to us?

~Steve
Old December 13th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

We've discussed it a few times, but to recap... No, there will not be any holes pre-drilled in the base in order to maintain as much structural integrity as possible. This allows people to drill holes only where they need them for their application, whether they are bolting it to some existing threaded holes somewhere in the vehicle, or using a U-bolt clamp to mount it to a roll bar, rather than having to enlarge/elongate the pre-drilled holes if they don't line up just right.
Old December 15th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Man, what a mess. I wish I knew before, what I know now. I found out after all of the parts were formed that they could use something called die rubber for an additional $0.25 per part, which would prevent the die from causing the marks that you see on the previous pictures up above. I've never had parts formed on a die before, so I just didn't know any better. I've spent the entire weekend polishing the marks out of the parts before I take them to be tumbled. I'll wrap up the remaining 36 pieces tomorrow and then take them down to be tumbled on Tuesday.

My garage is a disaster, everything is covered in aluminum dust...

Old December 15th, 2013, 10:08 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohbra11 View Post
Man, what a mess. I wish I knew before, what I know now. I found out after all of the parts were formed that they could use something called die rubber for an additional $0.25 per part, which would prevent the die from causing the marks that you see on the previous pictures up above. I've never had parts formed on a die before, so I just didn't know any better. I've spent the entire weekend polishing the marks out of the parts before I take them to be tumbled. I'll wrap up the remaining 36 pieces tomorrow and then take them down to be tumbled on Tuesday. My garage is a disaster, everything is covered in aluminum dust...
You don't know what you don't know. That's life. But I'm still happy to be supporting someone who is creating an innovative product here I'm the US.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 16th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Thanks leastonce, I really do appreciate the support. Trying to get this sort of business started would have been very difficult to do without the support of the members here.

I finished polishing all of the bases this afternoon and dropped them off to be tumbled. I should have them back sometime Wednesday so that I can take them to be anodized before I leave town over the weekend. I will also check in with the extrusion company to see if I can find out where they are in the process.

I'll let you guys know when I have more information on that.

-Brian
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

I just got off of the phone with the extrusion company and they are expecting the custom die to be delivered just before new years. The expected delivery for the extrusion is January 15th, but they thought I might receive it as early as the 8th.
Old December 18th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

I got them back from tumbling this afternoon. I plan to drop them off for anodize tomorrow morning, but I need to talk to them to see if I have enough to meet the minimum lot charge requirement. If not, I will wait until I'm having the clamp halves anodized and do them all at once.

Unfortunately today brought some bad news for me. I'll be leaving to go to work on Monday morning, but I am supposed to be home by New Years. The only good thing about it is that it is coming at a time where it will not impact any of the progress on getting these done.

Here's the tumbled parts. Enjoy!

BTW, don't let the pics fool you. The parts don't look very smooth, but they are actually very smooth. They finished them with a pretty fine media.

Old December 19th, 2013, 03:28 PM
SmokedFish
Lucas
94 D90 #63

Looking good Brian. I bet they are going to look sharp after anodizing.
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Dropped them off for anodize today. Should be done around the first of January.
Old December 25th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

After re-reading my last post, I just thought I should clarify that only the bases will be done around the first of January. Sorry for any confusion.
Old December 31st, 2013, 05:39 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

Happy New Year Everyone. I just picked up the bases from anodizing a few minutes ago, and they came out awesome.

Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
Cohbra11
Brian
None

I took the bases down to be laser marked today. Here's a quick video of a test run. It's pretty cool to watch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
fire, mount