new window seals - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old May 15th, 2010, 05:04 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

new window seals

Just passing this along in case not posted before (came across on eBay). These are an alternative to replacing the felt in your D90 side windows. I have talked to the guy over email and seems like a good option. He has the set (both doors) on eBay for $24.99, but if someone outbids you, he will send you a "Second Chance Offer" to buy a set at $24.99. Says he is just trying to build interest, so he is selling them cheap.

Mine are on the way, so we will see how they work. Here are some close-up finished product pics he sent me. Link to the ebay Store too:

http://myworld.ebay.com/garrisonoutfitters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom 1.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	27626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom 2.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	27627  

Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
I'd like hear what you think when they arrive. Keep us posted
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

No problem. I hope they are as good as they sound because my rattling driver side window is about to make me just bust it out (I guess the more sensible thing would be just to take the door top off for now?)...
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Backstay
John Hilton
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Bought some, put them in. Too tight. I even read the very detailed instructions before installation. Followed them to a t and they are just too tight. I'd like to hear how yours go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlamar View Post
Just passing this along in case not posted before (came across on eBay). These are an alternative to replacing the felt in your D90 side windows. I have talked to the guy over email and seems like a good option. He has the set (both doors) on eBay for $24.99, but if someone outbids you, he will send you a "Second Chance Offer" to buy a set at $24.99. Says he is just trying to build interest, so he is selling them cheap.

Mine are on the way, so we will see how they work. Here are some close-up finished product pics he sent me. Link to the ebay Store too:

http://myworld.ebay.com/garrisonoutfitters
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

Hmm, I hate to hear that. Makes me almost not want to go to the trouble b/c if mine are too tight too then I might just resort back to what I said in the first post (busting out the glass in a fit of rage)...
Old May 19th, 2010, 04:57 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstay View Post
Bought some, put them in. Too tight. I even read the very detailed instructions before installation. Followed them to a t and they are just too tight. I'd like to hear how yours go.
Was that for the 5mm or 4mm glass? Forget when the switch was made, but those tracks could have been designed for 4mm and would understandably be too tight if used with 5mm glass.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:39 AM
proulx70
Paul S.
1997 NAS BRG Soft-Top
D-90 Source Vendor

Greetings. This is Paul, the creator of this rubber window channel.

The extrusion was indeed designed for the thicker 5mm glass. Many have been sold and I have received multiple emails complimenting the fit and function of the design. Some are so excited with it they are offering their services to help market it through their Rover clubs and other avenues.

I am currently working with member Backstay to determine the exact problem and have shipped him new channels to try again. It's for this very reason the product is being launched slowly so that we can promptly attend to any such issues.

Product is sold with a complete Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are not happy with the product, just return the rubber channels and we will refund your money. We will even mail you more rivets so you can put your windows back together.

We are a brand new start-up company and are here to earn your business and build a solid reputation.

Thanks to everyone for their interest in this product.

Best,
Paul
Garrison Outfitters LLC
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM
fdille
Flint Dille
1994 Defender 90

Window Seals

Good luck figuring out the problem, doesn't sound like a problem with the kit to me - sounds more like alignment of the glass to the frame or something like that.

I have these window seals and LOVE them. They took awhile to install because of Rover's sort of bizzare way to make door tops. The directions included in the kit were great. I had rebuilt my passenger side window BEFORE I found these seals. Even after the factory stuff was in - doesn't seal as well as Garrison's. Just ordering the factory parts is difficult and no directions! I love my new seals. Just stopping the rattle alone is worth it.
Old May 20th, 2010, 01:13 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

Here is the manufacturer's response to my emailed concern about "sticking" of the windows once installed:

"To me that states that not enough soapy water was used. The friction that will hold this product in place later down the road is the same friction that can make installation very difficult. I cannot stress enough the use of lots of soapy water and am thinking of adding more information on that subject to the instructions. When you go to install, make sure there is absolutely NO dry rubber on the outside of the channel paying SPECIAL ATTENTION to the nook between the underside of the upper flange and the tooth that locks under the lip of the frame. If that tooth is dry in any spot, it will push AGAINST the lip instead of tucking UNDER the lip. You can push and push with the pliers but it will never go in. Even a small spot where its not seated can create lots of friction as the tolerances between the glass and lip are very small. THE GOOD NEWS is that once the product is locked in and the water evaporates it will stay put. A decision was made early on to make the product require more effort to install but stay put, rather than something that went in like butter but would come out every time you you drove over a bump."

Again, I will update everyone once I get mine in my truck...
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM
ofender
Lar Malleis
1997 D90 / 1998 RR / 1999 D2

I purchased this exact product that everyone is talking about. It is a complete package with very detailed instructions. The procedure is not rocket science but does require some patience to insure the seal is deep into the grove that it fits in. Only when the seal is set correctly (as noted in the instructions) will it allow the proper gap for the window to slide. What worked for me was a lot of the water/soap solution and a screwdriver with a round shaft to carefully run along the seal to positivity set the seal lip on each side of the grove. Overall, it is a great product that cures the problem.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofender View Post
I purchased this exact product that everyone is talking about. It is a complete package with very detailed instructions. The procedure is not rocket science but does require some patience to insure the seal is deep into the grove that it fits in. Only when the seal is set correctly (as noted in the instructions) will it allow the proper gap for the window to slide. What worked for me was a lot of the water/soap solution and a screwdriver with a round shaft to carefully run along the seal to positivity set the seal lip on each side of the grove. Overall, it is a great product that cures the problem.
Hey, Lar!
Welcome to the Board. Long time no talk.
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:49 PM
ajhdef90
Andrew J. Hoerner
1994 Defender 90

Window Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstay View Post

I have recently purchased the same item for my 94 Defender and found it easy to install and have had no problems with it being to tight. The window rattling that drove me crazy is gone. Would recommend.
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
odd that it's all these one-time posters who love these things...they all just found the site and bought these seals?

Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:12 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

Just an update. I did get the Garrison Oufitters seals installed, and they work great. Smooth sliding windows and no rattle at all!

Paul at Garrison was very helpful. Apparently, he has figured out that a few D-90 window frames have shallower channels than others which make his seals too tight in those cases. I think he is working on a solution to identify those frames and a solution for those cases (maybe measure the depth prior to ordering?)? Maybe Paul will respond?
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:39 AM
j0nny216
Jon Kleppel
1994 D90

I agree about the "one time poster" comment, not too mention the fact that they all joined in May 2010... weird
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:48 AM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

Maybe the rest are "one time posters", but I am not. I have no clue who these other guys are. Your inferences may be right, and they may be friends of the manufacturer just trying to promote the product? I could care less if anyone buys the product. Mine are in, they work, and I just think it is an inexpensive and well-made option at the current ~$25 price.

As stated in my last post, these seals are not a perfect fit option for everyone, including me. Per Paul at Garrison Outfitters, he has now found that some D90s apparently have slightly shallower window channels than others (mine was one of those), so initially the Garrison window seals would not fit well. Paul was great and helped me get them in right and now they work perfect. He alluded that he might design a "regular" seal and "shallow" seal for the future? That might make it easier for guys like me and the other previous poster where the seals are way too tight in the shallower window channel.

Most important to me is that now there is ZERO rattle when I go down the bumpy ass road to my driveway and my sanity is restored! Worth all the hassle to me...
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Raider
Adam Knox
95 ST AA Yellow

I just got finished installing my rubber window channels from Paul at Garrison Outfitters. The first time around, I could not get them in correctly, and my windows wouldn't slide at all. Through a few back and forth emails with Paul I was able to get it figured out. The install of the rest of the channels went super smooth and now I am rattle free.

I tried replacing the felt in my windows some time ago with piano felt, and it worked pretty well initially, then started bunching up as I slid the windows back and forth. The rubber channels are a modern solution to a product that is straight out of the Series rigs.

I'll have to say that installation was tricky at first and required a bit of effort, but with nothing but friction to hold the channel in, I would hope that the fit was a little snug between the window frame and the channel. The fit with the windows is perfect. They slide easily and no rattle!

The kit was well put together. My kit included goo gone and a 3M abrasive pad to clean the gunk in the channel, and rivets to put it all back together again. The instructions were helpful and included lots of pictures.
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Zooben1
Ben Williamson
1983, 110 Miss Scarlett

Can someone post pics?
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:38 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooben1 View Post
Can someone post pics?
of what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-L...spagenameZWDVW
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Zooben1
Ben Williamson
1983, 110 Miss Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I would like to see them on someones rig that is not paid by the retailer.

and are you being rude or flirting with me?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
seals, window