LR 300TDI engine and R380 trans - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old March 24th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

LR 300TDI engine and R380 trans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a used Land Rover 300 TDI diesel engine and a R380 transmission package for sale. This engine has approx 80K miles and has about 10K miles since new timing belt and rebuilt injection pump.
The R380 has about 40k and is the disco style transmission. I also have the internal shift parts to convert it to a defender transmission.
Located in my shop in Redding, CA $6000.
OR
Available with an M&D adapter to mate the 300tdi engine to your ZF auto V8 trans for $5000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2008, 12:09 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi Shane,

I was going to give you a call this week and ask if you could get a line on just such a 300 Tdi package - can I put my '97 transfer box on the R380? Do you have the radiator / intercooler with this package? if not, what would the additional cost be? - and finally what would you charge to drop it into my '97 NAS D90. My engine has 85K miles and runs perfect - I just want to move to a good old fashioned diesel.

Len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:58 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

wow, thats pretty low mileage to have to rebuild the injection pump.....did that have anything to do with the WVO?

Great deal for this package.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

The IP rebuild was because it was leaking. It could have been from the biodiesel

Follow-up Post:

Len,
sent you a PM
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

gotcha.......kind of what I was wondering. Keep wondering when one of my heaps is going to suffer biodisease. Kind of a driving experiment in motion with spare pumps in hand.

If len doesen't bite I can direct several different leads your way.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old March 26th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Maine 110
Ware/Jesse
Recovering 110 Owner

yea the bio does do a number on pumps of all sorts... I just had to have my home furnace (which is running on b20) pump rebuilt and the supply line purged yesterday... all gummed up from the "cleaning effects" of the bio on the 10 year old tank and lines.

Recovering NAS 110 Owner.

There is a thin line beyond which you really can't fake...
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:42 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi Guys,

As good a deal as this is I have talked with Shawn and decided to "Tap Out" on this engine offer - I am going to explore 2.8 PS - options before I decide on a 300.

Len

Old March 27th, 2008, 02:37 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

What was the story on the radiator and intercooler?
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

the radiator has about 20k miles.
The stock intercooler is new.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
Landspeed
Langdon Hill
D-90 SW

Biodiesel

What kind of biodiesel are you using? Did you have any signs or just a dead leaky fuel pump? I have been using 40% to 99% ( this varies as I can't always fill up with the cheaper biodiesel and often I am running a diesel and biodiesel blend).

I have not had any problems......yet. I do change the fuel filters and drain the trap. Not as often as I should I suspect. Also I operate the tdi 300 in a dry and warm climate. I use a biodiesel product sold at Arizona Petroleum. They sell a biofuel that is from processed soy product. It is not a waist oil product so I hope the PH levels constantly meet the ASTM guidelines. So far, for about 10 miles no problems at all. There may be a very slight reduction is power. Its cheaper, grown by farmers and smells great.

Langdon
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:00 AM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landspeed
What kind of biodiesel are you using? Did you have any signs or just a dead leaky fuel pump? I have been using 40% to 99% ( this varies as I can't always fill up with the cheaper biodiesel and often I am running a diesel and biodiesel blend).

I have not had any problems......yet. I do change the fuel filters and drain the trap. Not as often as I should I suspect. Also I operate the tdi 300 in a dry and warm climate. I use a biodiesel product sold at Arizona Petroleum. They sell a biofuel that is from processed soy product. It is not a waist oil product so I hope the PH levels constantly meet the ASTM guidelines. So far, for about 10 miles no problems at all. There may be a very slight reduction is power. Its cheaper, grown by farmers and smells great.

Langdon
The biodiesel comment was just a joke. I don't know why the pump started to leak; but I am into alternative fuels and everyone blames biofuels/biodiesel/veggie oil for any problem that may arrise.

The pump never died, it just leaked.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 02:34 AM
vkv
Kamyar Vaghar
1994 D90

PM sent.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhybrids
The biodiesel comment was just a joke. I don't know why the pump started to leak; but I am into alternative fuels and everyone blames biofuels/biodiesel/veggie oil for any problem that may arrise.

I was sort of kidding about the WVO (Waste Voodoo Oil)

I get people telling me that running biovegedieseljunk is the root of all evil. The injection shop I use tells me that it is great for his business. I really don't care and run it anyhow and have yet to see any negative results....
Has anyone come up with an additive yet that will get rid of the burnt fried clam smell?

Still a great deal for this engine.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:26 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
I was sort of kidding about the WVO (Waste Voodoo Oil)

I get people telling me that running biovegedieseljunk is the root of all evil. The injection shop I use tells me that it is great for his business. I really don't care and run it anyhow and have yet to see any negative results....
Has anyone come up with an additive yet that will get rid of the burnt fried clam smell?

Still a great deal for this engine.
Yes. Move yourself away from the shore and those fish fry's/hot dog stands.

Would you rather it smelled like chicken?
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
try this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tabasco_bottle-thumb.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	12868  
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:32 PM
PlantDriver
Craig Reece
1973 Series/Defender 100"

Talking Biodiesel and pump leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhybrids

I owned the engine Shane's selling, and had the pump rebuilt by a local Bosch shop, and the pump seals that Bosch now sells are Viton, which are biodiesel-resistant. The orginal seals were Buna-N or Nitrile, which are not. WVO will not attack seals, it's the unrecovered methanol in biodiesel, whether commercial ASTM-spec bioD or homebrew bioD that's the culprit.

The other issue with fuels and pumps: the new ULSD (ultra-low-sulfur diesel) will cause seal shrinkage and pump leakage. Best practice is to run at least 5% biodiesel (or new Canola) in any diesel to deal with this, and the worsened lubricating properties of ULSD, esp. with rotary pump like the Bosch VE as found on the 300Tdi and the International 2.8HS.

BTW, I only ran Mobil's Delvac 1 in the 300Tdi, and changed it every 6K miles. And had a pyrometer and never had it over 900F. Sweet engine - someone should snap it up and buy a kit from me (or Shane) and start driving on free used fryer oil. I'm about to drive from Berkeley to Canyonlands and back, free of fuel costs.)

End of advertisement. Oh wait, this is the advertising section.

Craig

Defender/Series 100" with International 2.8, PlantDrive two-tank waste vegetable oil conversion and hinged roof, built by Shane Ballensky at Rover Hybrids
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Ok so are you saying that the 300 Tdi engine, without modifications, should add some pure canola oil to every tank if we are using the Ultra Low Sulfur diesel? If this is correct, how much per tank??

Back to topic... another guy is selling a D90 project here on the boards that needs a 300 Tdi.
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:46 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

When did Bosch switch to viton in the VE pump?

DaveB......does that bottle of heat come with a rawhide strip to bite down on when the EGT's get too high?

Old April 5th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
No, the new ones are viton. The old ones were made of leather. RDS may have some NOS ones laying about. Call and ask for George. Tell him you are looking for the old-style EGT orifice bite valve. He should be able to give you the part number at least.

Quote:
does that bottle of heat come with a rawhide strip to bite down on when the EGT's get too high?
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LOL- good one Dave

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
300tdi, engine, r380, tdi