Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
This is a smoking deal.

Bolt-on SC... You cannot beat that.
Bolt on forced induction...ah, the idealism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2013, 09:44 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post

Bolt on forced induction...ah, the idealism.
LOL!

At least is less work. It's already mounted to a Rover V8.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 12th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
I meaning what kind of torque/ hp gain... Do you need to pull the engine to instal it? Will the same engine management system work or will it come with another? Chip? Don't these engines blow head gaskets? Will you need to oring the block?

Potentially interested pending answers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2013, 09:59 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
I meaning what kind of torque/ hp gain... Do you need to pull the engine to instal it? Will the same engine management system work or will it come with another? Chip? Don't these engines blow head gaskets? Will you need to oring the block?

Potentially interested pending answers...
Probably 100 HP and you'll need to remap.

Old April 13th, 2013, 12:40 AM
RoverLover5023
Alejandro
1965 Series 2a

Well dont need to pull the engine. This unit is a direct bolt on. Hp gain verys from the pull system you use. I calked cameron concept in ca (now name something else) amd spoke with one of the install tech there and he explained to me that is was an easy install and no remapping or larger injectors were used. When peter cameron got promission from land rover special vehicle to install this unit, they kept it simple. They added a high performance exhaust. I also asked about adding it to a 4.6 and 3.9 all you need to make sure you have a return line like what's on it now
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:11 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Alejandro,

I sent you a private message yesterday about the motor. Did you get it?

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 13th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post

Probably 100 HP and you'll need to remap.
100 HP? Is this one of those 'at the crank' estimates that translates (through parasitic loss of course) to 25hp at the wheels. That would be significant indeed on a true bolt up with no fuel mods. I'd expect it to be hitting about 6 psi at most given the stock parameters, and given that I think a more conservative estimate would be 40hp. 40hp on an engine that is realistically putting down 170 is not insignificant mind you so don't get me wrong, the SC would be a nice bump in performance but I don't think you should expect to make the dump truck into an EVO. Having played with enough FI in my life my comments were meant mostly to caution about just bolting on with no other changes-you can do it, but don't expect dramatic results and anticipate that the added stress on the engine may be problematic over time. How much time depends on a variety of things ranging from condition of the engine and ancillaries at the start to how much skinny pedal you use.

But who knows, maybe this is the answer to Jonathan's desire to fulfill his Lone Wolf destiny and if his Disco was buried in a hole by a crime syndicate the SC would allow him to dig his way out on HP alone....
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:07 PM
RoverLover5023
Alejandro
1965 Series 2a

Hey Forrest, yes i did get your private message and i sent you one back..please send my your contact info..
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:17 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverLover5023 View Post
Hey Forrest, yes i did get your private message and i sent you one back..please send my your contact info..
Hey I never got your PM but I'll send it over. Thanks

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 14th, 2013, 01:02 AM
cupgt
Ian
98 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
100 HP? Is this one of those 'at the crank' estimates that translates (through parasitic loss of course) to 25hp at the wheels. That would be significant indeed on a true bolt up with no fuel mods. I'd expect it to be hitting about 6 psi at most given the stock parameters, and given that I think a more conservative estimate would be 40hp. 40hp on an engine that is realistically putting down 170 is not insignificant mind you so don't get me wrong, the SC would be a nice bump in performance but I don't think you should expect to make the dump truck into an EVO. Having played with enough FI in my life my comments were meant mostly to caution about just bolting on with no other changes-you can do it, but don't expect dramatic results and anticipate that the added stress on the engine may be problematic over time. How much time depends on a variety of things ranging from condition of the engine and ancillaries at the start to how much skinny pedal you use.

But who knows, maybe this is the answer to Jonathan's desire to fulfill his Lone Wolf destiny and if his Disco was buried in a hole by a crime syndicate the SC would allow him to dig his way out on HP alone....
MegaSquirt, injectors, tune and keep your fingers crossed! Id be scared shitless to put boost to a rover motor but it would be cool as shit!
Old April 14th, 2013, 02:50 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
I was doing some reading about these supercharges. They need a modified hood to fit them.
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
I was doing some reading about these supercharges. They need a modified hood to fit them.
Puma
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FWIW I saw a 96 gems 4.6 p38 fitted with an eaton supercharger last night @ Uwharrie Safari and the thing was bad ass. I was talking to the guy and he said the supercharger on a gems 4.6 made it equivalent to a bosch 4.6 in performance but with a load more "cool" factor. Tt sounded incredible and yes the p38 had a hood scoop..

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 14th, 2013, 09:02 AM
RoverLover5023
Alejandro
1965 Series 2a

Mudsux...I got your email..ill email later today..I did find that Shane over at the rover shop fitted the same type of sc on a d90 and cleared the stock hood. You can find the pics if you search sc under rover shop..so maybe there is a way. Yes before the blown gasket this thing was pretty bas ass as for as performance when you needed it!
Old April 14th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Alejandro, I'd be curious to know the REAL mpg the previous owner was getting in this p38.

And no BS 18mpg either!

I'd seriously like to know how much gas the SC eats up on a daily basis in a DD.
We here all know what to realistically expect MPG-wise from a 4.6 but not many here can give real world numbers from a SC mpg!
Old April 14th, 2013, 09:10 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Mudsux...I got your email..ill email later today..
Thanks I look forward to it.

Old April 14th, 2013, 09:41 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Mudsux...I got your email..ill email later today..I did find that Shane over at the rover shop fitted the same type of sc on a d90 and cleared the stock hood. You can find the pics if you search sc under rover shop..so maybe there is a way. Yes before the blown gasket this thing was pretty bas ass as for as performance when you needed it!
I've seen it too, many times with the stock hood. I could see it being tight on the P38, but there are many examples of them fitting Defenders without any body modification needed.
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
I was reading that they clear the hood... Just... They touch most times... But they usually kill the paint there due to the heat buildup... I can find the link that someone had it in a 97 NAS Le... Maybe depends on how heavy you use it?
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

I average 10 mpg city and about 10.5 mpg highway with what looks to be the exact set up I have. Granted that's on a 4.0 90 with 35's. Also, I'm a little overweight. Anyway, that's the mpg I see with a very similar set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Alejandro, I'd be curious to know the REAL mpg the previous owner was getting in this p38.

And no BS 18mpg either!

I'd seriously like to know how much gas the SC eats up on a daily basis in a DD.
We here all know what to realistically expect MPG-wise from a 4.6 but not many here can give real world numbers from a SC mpg!
Old April 14th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Davis View Post
Also, I'm a little overweight.
We are not judging you here

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts