If I upgrade to a new rear tire carrier - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old August 29th, 2007, 04:48 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

If I upgrade to a new rear tire carrier

Is there any interest in my stock one? Assume you get whatever mounting hardware I can spare if I get the Safari Gard unit. If so, what is it worth? Texas truck. 1997. Absolutely no rust. Please contact me at amit@greathills.com if you think you would be interested. It would make it much easier for me to pull the trigger on the Safari Gard unit if I knew I could recoup some of the cost with the factory unit.

Thanks,
Amit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2007, 05:47 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Before you pull the trigger on the sg unit check out the kaymar product. Attaches to the rear frame member so it takes the stress off the stock mounting points. I like it a bit better. Had the sg unit but just swapped it for the other.
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Hello, Do you have any pictures of the Kamar on your truck? Where did you get it from? And what type of price? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

Ditto. Price, pictures. Where do I get more info? Is it reasonable to be able to expect to get a couple hundred for the stock unit?

Follow-up Post:

I am getting this to haul 2 5 gallon gas cans. It doesn't look like the Kaymar product does this. Do I need to roll my own design? It sounds like the Safari Gard unit has 2 problems: 1) the mounting point and 2) it uses a racheting strap as opposed to a clamp with a locking mechanism.
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:17 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Amit,

If you haven't already, check out this thread, I love the rockware tire carrier and plan to get something similiar down the road.

Also, do a search for tire carriers in the Parts for sale section to get an idea of how much you can get for them.

Good luck!
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:30 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

I thought SG stopped making all the rover stuff and started building only custom fab?

B
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:56 AM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

B,

Safari Gard is making a run of the rear tire carriers. I need to get in next week or wait until they get another 5-10 people committed.

The Maxx,

I talked to the Rockware guy. He said I have to buy an entire rear bumper. That is a little more involved than what I want to get into but it may be the direction I have to go.

Thanks all for responding.
Old August 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Honestly, I could not be more disappointed in my Rockware carrier. I paid close to $1,800 and the rear recovery points are not even, I had to cut off the CB antenna mount b/c it was put on backwards, and the thing vibrates so badly on the freeway and off road that the whole truck begins to vibrate so I have to ratchet strap it down. Pretty ghetto for such an expensive piece of gear. I finally have taken it to a local fab shop to see what they can do to fix it.
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Suprising. I have a front bumper from Rockware and it is really nice and fits great.
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

I am going to move forward with building my own rear tire carrier. My first goal is to leave the stock bumper intact. Any leads on where to get the bottom hinge that attaches to the bumper? And how do I attach it to the bumper? Can I use the the mounting point high on the rear door? Or do I have to relocate that as well?

I like the way Safari Gard has the 2 gas cans to the left of the tire. I want to copy that but have an actual clamp with padlock to somewhat secure the cans. I will also have a horizontal hi-lift jack. Ideally I can somehow incorporate a 1 bike rack but I'll have to see when I get into it.
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by defender1844
I am going to move forward with building my own rear tire carrier. My first goal is to leave the stock bumper intact. Any leads on where to get the bottom hinge that attaches to the bumper? And how do I attach it to the bumper? Can I use the the mounting point high on the rear door? Or do I have to relocate that as well?

I like the way Safari Gard has the 2 gas cans to the left of the tire. I want to copy that but have an actual clamp with padlock to somewhat secure the cans. I will also have a horizontal hi-lift jack. Ideally I can somehow incorporate a 1 bike rack but I'll have to see when I get into it.
Whatever you decide to do, document your progress with pictures!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
Honestly, I could not be more disappointed in my Rockware carrier. I paid close to $1,800 and the rear recovery points are not even, I had to cut off the CB antenna mount b/c it was put on backwards, and the thing vibrates so badly on the freeway and off road that the whole truck begins to vibrate so I have to ratchet strap it down. Pretty ghetto for such an expensive piece of gear. I finally have taken it to a local fab shop to see what they can do to fix it.
Joe, any pictures of this $1800 monstrosity?
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM
mcvickoffroad
Brian McVickers

Amit.
I may be interested in your stock carrier.
I'll PM you
Thanks
Brian

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier