Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old May 10th, 2005, 08:43 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Genuine LR basket (only)- customized...

For sale, my genuine LR Safety Devices roof rack basket (only). I recently had a new basket made to accomodate a roof top tent, and no longer need the other basket that came with my rack. This basket has been previously customized by me, I cut about 2.75" out of the height of the mid section of the basket to make it overall shorter and to lend a better all around look to the truck. Everything was welded and powercoated accordingly about a 18 months ago. The basket is in excellent shape. No rust or chipping. Coating is in very good shape. My truck is garaged and only driven sporadically in the winter. Pics of the shortened rack are here: Pic1 Pic2

$1000 firm for the basket. Located in MA. You pickup or make arrangements for shipping. I will deliver to any event I may be attending in the next year(Solihull, MAR, etc.), or work with you to find a way to deliver it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2005, 08:56 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Hey Dave...

I didn't even know you bought a tent ... which one ? got any pics of the new roof rack ? If so please post or send..

Cool Beans...

You should have no problems selling any part of the safari rack.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:13 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Yup, I bought a hannibal tent and awning early last year. But finally got the rack last week.... I'll send you detailed pics, but here are two from the install and weekend wheeling, last weekend...

Pic1 Pic2

The rack is made to mimic the SD rack but with some differences. The tent is mounted forward on the rack to distribute the weight. Also, 5 bar Brit DP is mounted as a platform on the remaining portion of the rack floor, where the tent ends (a nice platform to pee from at night). The rack bars are a little heavier duty than the SD one so I can lean on the new england trees and not be concerned about possibly bending anything. The ladder attaches to the top of the bullbar.

I'll take some better pics this weekend when I have the time (and it stops raining maybe).

You can go here for the mounting pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2005, 10:03 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Dave,
Very cool... Did you get the 1.4 or 1.6 one ? Looks great... Makes it 'nice & neat' when you go camping though doesn't it ?

Question: the Howling Moon one I have is almost identical, except I didn't get those 'attachment' pieces for the ladder to fit onto the bull bar (those curved pieces.) Did yours come with those ? or did you buy them somewhere ?

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:14 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
The ladder mounts were fabbed up on the spot by Matt at BWO. He did them to get me out the door, but I'm going to grind them down and paint them. Or maybe come up with a better solution when I have time. But they work well. I need to cut down the ladder so that it mounts the flush with the bull bar. I think only the eezi-awn tents come with a bull bar mount. Shame really.
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:21 PM
gtg067i
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon

Dave~
If you don't mind me asking, who did the fabrication work for you and if someone were to do a similar job what would you expect it would cost for similar quality? I really would like a rooftop tent to camp as well and have found the use of the safety devices basket hard to cope with. Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:31 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
BWO did the fab work (of course!). It's costly depending on how you go about it. Your best bet is to find a specialized fab shop or someone who wants to do it in their spare time and is handy with a pipe bender. Or can do a good job with a few bendy sections and inserting plugs/grinding. I'd say get as many quotes as possible, have them look at your existing rack.
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:40 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Dave - I've got the other parts (ladder, x-bars, etc) and this sounds like its right up my alley. I can't come get it this very instant, but If you dont mind, I'd like to figure out how to do this deal with you.
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:25 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Cool, sent you a pm Jim.
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:17 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Or maybe come up with a better solution when I have time. But they work well. I need to cut down the ladder so that it mounts the flush with the bull bar.
Do you really expect a woman to climb up and down that ladder? Looks kinda scary. I'd prefer to have it mounted on the ground. I mean, what are the odds of an animal being a problem - the only reason I can see against one.

As far as mounting the base on the rack, try using some closed cell foam - the kind that's quite firm, comes in thicknesses of 4" and more. You can easily slip it under the tent and raise the height to accomodate a SD rack or Garmin or anything else. The foam weighs nothing and also acts to absorb vibrations while driving. Considering how few times you'll mount the tent it beats major rack modification.
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:58 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Do you really expect a woman to climb up and down that ladder? Looks kinda scary. I'd prefer to have it mounted on the ground. I mean, what are the odds of an animal being a problem - the only reason I can see against one.
Yes, women climb up and down mine, quite frequently actually.

It's very safe, as long as you have the roof-tent on properly, which I'm very sure Dave does. I don't know how the Hannibal is but the Howling Moon attached in 4 points to the rack, very simple. My girlfriend and I were both on the side that hangs over the front of the hood without the ladder attached to the bull-bar and it was fine. You see, this thing is like a big 'cheeze-it' and the construction is top notch... That's the key, That is why they're so expensive.
You can mount them on the ground but you run the rist of scratching the hell out of your bullbar for no reason. One or two quick steps up the bull bar, take your shoes off & throw them on the wing panel protectors and climb into an almost Tempur-Pedic 80mm-ish mattress and clean & dry. To me, it's incredible.

In any case... Dave!
Sounds a lot like mine... Do you have to 'cut' the ladder down or is it like the HM that has the telescopic ladder so all you have to do is drill 2 holes for the 'pins' ?

Old May 11th, 2005, 09:22 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Nick, the ladder "should" be cut down slightly. Unfortunately it's not as adjustable as I would like.

Art, both my sister and SO have no problem climbing it. They use the roof rack ladder in the rear as it's much easier. I think the front ladder is purely for stabilization. I would not want to climb in the front anyway. It's a little more awkward and too narrow for me to use. I don't think animals are the concern.

The base is mounted via four points.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I assumed the front ladder was the main entry point. If it's for stabilization then it's fine.

For me the way to go is a regular 4-person throw-up instant open tent and an air mattress. That leaves the roof for the kayaks or canoe!

My rack is gutter mounted and I don't like too much weight on it until it's better mounted. I mean, the rack, tent and two people up there - that's 500 lbs. I don't think that's good for the roof long term.

I also don't like the busy-ness with the typical rear ladder and right hand roof mount. My plan is to weld a couple of "U" pieces to the rear of the rack and drill through the roof corners in the rear. Then a support tube down each side on the inside and through the tub to the frame.

The front will have supports meeting at the windshield mounts. This is all for a 110 with gutter support only so all the weight will be off them. I won't be using a roof tent any time soon but I do often load it and I've heard plenty of bad stories on roof damage.
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:51 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Still available.

Bump.
Old May 29th, 2005, 02:41 PM
bigrenna
gregory Hren
D90

interesting...

"...............This basket has been previously customized by me, I cut about 2.75" out of the height of the mid section of the basket to make it overall shorter and to lend a better all around look to the truck. Everything was welded and powercoated accordingly about a 18 months ago...........":

That looks cool Dave! I didnt know you know were doing your own customizing and fabrication now? That was a cool idea!

What are you using for a welder?

Greg-
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:26 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You need to spend less time surfing the net and more time finishing your truck.
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:58 AM
bigrenna
gregory Hren
D90

i hear that.

Its comming along. I am hoping it will be driving by MAR.

g-
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:04 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

David.. did the basket ever get sold?

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:07 PM
bigrenna
gregory Hren
D90

i am pretty sure that he still has it.

Greg-
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:09 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Hey Greg.. how you doing man! Havent seen you for a while.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
genuine