GBR diffs, half shafts, and CVs... FEELER... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old November 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

GBR diffs, half shafts, and CVs... FEELER...

So I've got about as tough as you can get in rover stuff with some GBR shafts and CVs with differentials that have a Trutrack in front and a Detroit in back... but I'm heading down the road of larger rubber and I'm afraid it won't take the abuse so I'm thinking I should sell what's on it and upgrade with a toy conversion from RoverTracks or even a Salisbury... so I'm left with am I better off waiting until I bust what I have or is there value in the GBR stuff used that I could put towards non-rover uprated gear?

thoughts? suggestions? offers? what's this stuff worth used?
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2009, 08:14 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

What tire size now and what are you going to? Dual selectable lockers would make it more capable/versatile (IMO) on your current axles and tires and your 3rds would be fairly easy to sell.
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
FWIW
I'd be interested in the front trutrac diff if its 3:54 still

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2009, 08:36 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Currently running 33s (255/85) will be going to at least 35s in a 315 but may consider even larger... I've blown one of the GBR CVs already (replaced them both and kept the non-blown one as a spare) so I tend to think I'm already fairly close to the edge of what the GBR stuff can take... yes getting fully selectable lockers relieve some of the day to day tension on them but I doubt it would solve the root problem of the strength of Land Rover sized axles and CVs

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
FWIW
I'd be interested in the front trutrac diff if its 3:54 still
4:11
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:00 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Get Keiths next generation front axles and CV's, they should be close to ready. Otherwise I don't see how you can go wrong with the full toyota treatment and your complete setup would be very desirable to some looking to upgrade.
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Brad,

If you decide to sell them I would be intrested, I can even come over and help you pull them if you want.

How many miles on the gears / lockers?
What are the details on the axles / CV's (New Ashcroft style or the old style?)
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

It sounds like selling towards an upgrade could be a viable option and people would buy the stuff... but at what price is my real question... 2/3s of new? 1/2? other?

I'm going to need to be able to run the numbers to see how much I'll be out in the end for the upgrade... I may end up sticking it out for a bit and try to be very gentle with the skinny while I save my pennies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
Brad,

If you decide to sell them I would be intrested, I can even come over and help you pull them if you want.

How many miles on the gears / lockers?
What are the details on the axles / CV's (New Ashcroft style or the old style?)
~60k miles so you know... used...
24 spline GBR heavy duty half shafts and CVs (what's the new ashcroft style? since I don't know I'm guessing old style? I've still got the paperwork on them so I'll see if I can pull them out to see if it says anything)
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I am guessing with 60k the axles and cv's would be the old style, Bill could tell you what exactly what you have.

There have been some big advances in axles and cv's in the last few years, the old cv's of that vintage were not much of an upgrade from stock but the new stuff is a big upgrade.

The new style axles and cv's should stand up to larger tires but 35's might be pushing it for your diffs, give Keith a call and run it by him and see if he thinks you can get away with a new set of front axles and cv's
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:20 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
I am guessing with 60k the axles and cv's would be the old style, Bill could tell you what exactly what you have.

There have been some big advances in axles and cv's in the last few years, the old cv's of that vintage were not much of an upgrade from stock but the new stuff is a big upgrade.

The new style axles and cv's should stand up to larger tires but 35's might be pushing it for your diffs, give Keith a call and run it by him and see if he thinks you can get away with a new set of front axles and cv's
The CVs only have ~15k miles (they're only a few years old... although my spare would still be the old style) the diffs have more like 60k

I'm not ready to pull the trigger on this right now either way I go; I'm just trying to figure out what my options are and what my cost will be so I can get things lined up to happen
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:40 AM
winn442
Winn Bearden

Registry
I've been running Bill's CV's and shafts for years now with 38" TSL's on my trail truck and never had an issue with them...and that's with hammering the hell out of it on Lower 2, Helicopter Pad, and Guardrail for years...I just keep taking out R&P's....went for a long time with Bill's 4.75's without a mishap, but shucked the rear last summer...I think that "pinning" it will stop the deflection, although it very well could be the ARB that's giving under pressure and causing failure...that's the plan when I get around to putting the truck back together (it's undergoing a reframe at the moment)

I think his CV's and shafts can handle up to 38's but I see the diff as the weakest link.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
diffs, fs