Galvanized... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old September 20th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Love my Galvy Towers. As if a Galvy chassis wasn't bling enough.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2013, 02:02 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Exactly what I was thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Classic.
Joel, I am well aware of your "rules". It might help avoid confusion if next time you included your PayPal address in the original For Sale thread and also made it known from the get-go that first to pay gets them. Especially since your PayPal address is different from the one in your signature.
Most would consider that common courtesy and common sense.
Old September 20th, 2013, 03:15 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Why waste time over thinking things? Payment can actually be sent to either email, it reaches me just the same.

As far as common sense goes, well, I certainly think that everyone should already have the basic understanding that first to pay gets the item. Most importantly, I am the seller, its my call. If you're deeply bothered by my fair, no nonsense approach to selling items, well.... go lick someone else's junk
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2013, 03:37 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
It seems to me classifieds should be for people just looking to pass things on to other forum members that are looking for parts for their trucks, usually to raise money to buy more things for their own trucks. The system of licking or calling things seems to work well.

It seems the "first to pay because this is how I make my living" would work better in the vendors section.
Old September 20th, 2013, 04:34 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Since this has turned into a discussion I will also add my opinion. Licking is the most obnoxious thing on this forum. If you want it, send a PM, email, text, or call saying that you want it. Shouldn't matter what type of person is selling it. Imagine being in a store and some guy from across the room says that he licked the shirt you just picked up so you can't walk to the register and buy it.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old September 20th, 2013, 04:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I always understood licked as a reply to be "I have sent an email or PM saying I will take the item at the price offered" and the "licked" let others know you had done so.
Old September 20th, 2013, 07:24 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I have bought many many many many parts from the classified section of many different forums. Joel, you are the ONLY seller where first to pay gets it despite someone else stating they would take it. You are the ONLY one that does not afford an interested party ANY time to pay or even verify condition or fitment. Personally I think your "rules" are stupid and not in good faith. However, you are the seller and ultimately can set the terms of sale. The only problem is you don't clearly state these terms in the For Sale ad and also don't provide a way for people to pay. Poor form on your part.

I do thinking "licking" things is retarded. Is it that hard to just say "I'll take it, PayPal sent" or something to that effect?
Old September 21st, 2013, 09:13 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Funny how it all goes down. Licking was originally an inside joke after someone misspelled "I'd like that" and then someone else made a joke about licking the item like an ice cream come so that no one else would want it.

The phrase has no more meaning than any other form of trying to get dibs on something. Still up to the buyer to pay quick because sometimes other people have faster tongues.

Not taking sides in this dispute though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 21st, 2013, 09:38 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
licking = "finders keepers"..

that being said, its really the only way. By just posting a paypal address and having people race to send money in opens the forum up to scamming....

Hey guys, I'm selling my unobtanium Defender accessory/part for $75... first one to paypal me gets it....

5 payments of $75 later... crickets, then 5 sad pandas.

Old September 21st, 2013, 12:09 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Good lord, who cares what phrase you use to say you'll take it. Out of common sense and courtesy, you should immediately follow up with a PM to work out payment. crown14 is right about that. But as small as this community is AND him being a vendor, you'd think he'd be a bit more gracious with his customers, no matter if he's selling as Buckhorn or not. He went off on a rant about different phrases of "licking does not equal buying, money talks" then you see him post "sale pending" type talk. I don't have a dog in this fight but this community is kinda small to alienate folks/potential customers.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you want there to be more stuff to buy, you need more people selling stuff. Lots of guys try to sell their first item, get promised payment by someone who doesn't follow through and it turns them off of the whole process. I am all for some common sense guidelines for buying/selling but what happened in this thread was unreasonable. Tomaco the only person who kept you from buying these parts was you.

Licking aside, IF we were having a serious discussion about D90 source classifieds reforms, I would propose the first rule should be that if you are paying for something via paypal, you either need to add 3% or be prepared to send the funds as a gift. Adding 3% would ensure you are protected as a buyer and that the seller actually gets the amount that you have agreed upon. Its pretty shitty to get beat up on the price of something only to actually get less than the agreed amount. Doubly so if the agreed upon price included shipping charges. Of course, if you are dealing with a trusted seller, then sending payment as a gift would save everyone money, and perhaps one day paypal would get the message.
Just my $.02
Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
You're right, let's change all the rules so you can make a living off the classifieds section!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
If you want there to be more stuff to buy, you need more people selling stuff. Lots of guys try to sell their first item, get promised payment by someone who doesn't follow through and it turns them off of the whole process. I am all for some common sense guidelines for buying/selling but what happened in this thread was unreasonable. Tomaco the only person who kept you from buying these parts was you.

Licking aside, IF we were having a serious discussion about D90 source classifieds reforms, I would propose the first rule should be that if you are paying for something via paypal, you either need to add 3% or be prepared to send the funds as a gift. Adding 3% would ensure you are protected as a buyer and that the seller actually gets the amount that you have agreed upon. Its pretty shitty to get beat up on the price of something only to actually get less than the agreed amount. Doubly so if the agreed upon price included shipping charges. Of course, if you are dealing with a trusted seller, then sending payment as a gift would save everyone money, and perhaps one day paypal would get the message.
Just my $.02
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:02 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Is that what you think?
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Since Jonathan and I are the ones who started licking items for sale, just to clear the air, here is what it is all about. Anyone saying it means anything else is sadly, but truly mistaken. If you are using the licked term differently, then you are simply doing it wrong.

Licking and item is not a message to the seller. It is a message to other forum members that you want or need the item and in other words, please don't try to buy the item. I called dibs on something and a bunch of people had no clue what that meant so Jonathan explained it was as if I had licked the item so that everyone else would back off. The term stuck and whether you like it or not, it is useful.

Now..."licking" and item does not do anything for, or communicate any information to the seller. That is why people send messages like "PM sent on so and so part" because that is a way of letting us know that: A. They want the part, back off; B. They have actually tried to communicate with the seller.

As someone who sells a fair amount of stuff, it is annoying when someone says they want something and then does not communicate with you. I tend to be more patient than some, but on popular items that can be a hassle as I have to respond to a bunch of messages and then try to track down the original guy who posted first. If you want a part, PM or email the seller or whatever, and make it happen. And remember that no matter what is posted, someone may still have beat you to it. That's life. Get over it.

All that said, sometimes things fall through the cracks and shit gets sold to someone who wasn't first in line. As a seller, I don't think there are any rules per say. I sell stuff to help alleviate the expense of all the unnecessary crap I accumulate and also to get rid of some of it to make room for more. So waiting for folks to respond isn't a big deal. Joel or someone else situation might be different. So, he can operate his franchise however he sees fit.

I'm not taking sides because I don't really have a dog in this fight other than to say, if you want something, act and act decisively. That applies to this forum and life in general. You snooze, you lose.

IF you think licking is obnoxious it is because you either don't get it or have too often been on the nasty end of a licking incident. I used to hate licking as a practice too, when my older brother was doing it to the biggest cookie on the plate etc.

Anyway, guess I will maybe go back and read all the posts here now that I have issued my history lesson and final opinion.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post

Just my $.02
I haven't had any problem with people promising to buy something and then not paying. If somebody says they'll take the item I'll give them a reasonable amount of time to pay me. If somebody else expresses interest in the same item I'll let the first party know they have "x" amount of time or its going to the next guy.

Joel, I totally agree on the PayPal fees. I always specify in my For Sale threads that payment should be sent as a GIFT or add 3%. The one and only time the guy didn't do that I made him send the 3% extra as a Gift. He was OK with that because he recognized he didn't follow the terms of sale that were clearly outlined in the original For Sale thread.

Again, you're free to set whatever sale terms you like. I just think it would be helpful to all parties involved if those terms were clearly outlined in the For Sale thread.

------ Follow up post added September 23rd, 2013 02:56 PM ------

Your explaination of "Licking" makes me like it even worse. This isn't grade school, who the hell calls "dibs" as an adult. "I'd really like that so please don't anybody else buy it", that seems silly. It would be far more clear to everybody if you simply stated "I'll take it, where do I send payment?".
I guess if you've already sent payment or otherwise contacted the seller and arranged to buy the item then posting "licked" in the thread would be a way of letting everybody know you bought the item. Still, there's a lot of confusion with a pretty dumb term. If I really want an item I'm going to avoid confusion at all costs and use simple terms everybody can understand, like "I'll take it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Since Jonathan and I are the ones who started licking items for sale, just to clear the air, here is what it is all about. Anyone saying it means anything else is sadly, but truly mistaken. If you are using the licked term differently, then you are simply doing it wrong.

Licking and item is not a message to the seller. It is a message to other forum members that you want or need the item and in other words, please don't try to buy the item. I called dibs on something and a bunch of people had no clue what that meant so Jonathan explained it was as if I had licked the item so that everyone else would back off. The term stuck and whether you like it or not, it is useful.

Now..."licking" and item does not do anything for, or communicate any information to the seller. That is why people send messages like "PM sent on so and so part" because that is a way of letting us know that: A. They want the part, back off; B. They have actually tried to communicate with the seller.

As someone who sells a fair amount of stuff, it is annoying when someone says they want something and then does not communicate with you. I tend to be more patient than some, but on popular items that can be a hassle as I have to respond to a bunch of messages and then try to track down the original guy who posted first. If you want a part, PM or email the seller or whatever, and make it happen. And remember that no matter what is posted, someone may still have beat you to it. That's life. Get over it.

All that said, sometimes things fall through the cracks and shit gets sold to someone who wasn't first in line. As a seller, I don't think there are any rules per say. I sell stuff to help alleviate the expense of all the unnecessary crap I accumulate and also to get rid of some of it to make room for more. So waiting for folks to respond isn't a big deal. Joel or someone else situation might be different. So, he can operate his franchise however he sees fit.

I'm not taking sides because I don't really have a dog in this fight other than to say, if you want something, act and act decisively. That applies to this forum and life in general. You snooze, you lose.

IF you think licking is obnoxious it is because you either don't get it or have too often been on the nasty end of a licking incident. I used to hate licking as a practice too, when my older brother was doing it to the biggest cookie on the plate etc.

Anyway, guess I will maybe go back and read all the posts here now that I have issued my history lesson and final opinion.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:26 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:

Your explaination of "Licking" makes me like it even worse. This isn't grade school, who the hell calls "dibs" as an adult. "I'd really like that so please don't anybody else buy it", that seems silly. It would be far more clear to everybody if you simply stated "I'll take it, where do I send payment?".
I guess if you've already sent payment or otherwise contacted the seller and arranged to buy the item then posting "licked" in the thread would be a way of letting everybody know you bought the item. Still, there's a lot of confusion with a pretty dumb term. If I really want an item I'm going to avoid confusion at all costs and use simple terms everybody can understand, like "I'll take it".
So, you realize that by saying "I'll take it," you are essentially licking the item. Why else would you need to make anything clear to "everybody?" If you disapprove of "licking" then the only person you should need to communicate with would be the seller. There is no need to let other forum members know of your interest.

Personally, I don't have a problem with people that really want or need an item saying "ooh ooh ooh mine!" and hoping that everyone else in this close-knit community will respect that, at least for a reasonable period of time. Do you have some objection to that? I don't see how what you are proposing is really any different, other than your objection to the term "licked," because it is playful and thus somehow immature in a way that is not appropriate to a forum where we talk about playing in the mud with big trucks.

By the way, so far I have yet to see much evidence that other potential purchasers fail to respect the "I'll take it, "PM sent" or other iterations of "licked." So, use whatever term you feel comfortable with posting in public. There isn't much use in posting to the original for sale thread that you will take something. Most sellers will already be looking for PMs or emails. Yes a PM box can be full and some sellers are subscribed to their FS threads. But mostly, it is to let other potential purchasers know that you want it. And that is ok, most folks seem to get it and abide by it. Just remember that the seller ultimately can decide to sell it to whomever they want, for whatever reason. And of course deal in their own way with the consequences or backlash if people are unhappy.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:47 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I disagree. Go back and read this thread and see the different interpretations of "licked".

Also, I've had numerous transactions both selling and buying in which no emails or PM's are exchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
So, you realize that by saying "I'll take it," you are essentially licking the item. Why else would you need to make anything clear to "everybody?" If you disapprove of "licking" then the only person you should need to communicate with would be the seller. There is no need to let other forum members know of your interest.

Personally, I don't have a problem with people that really want or need an item saying "ooh ooh ooh mine!" and hoping that everyone else in this close-knit community will respect that, at least for a reasonable period of time. Do you have some objection to that? I don't see how what you are proposing is really any different, other than your objection to the term "licked," because it is playful and thus somehow immature in a way that is not appropriate to a forum where we talk about playing in the mud with big trucks.

By the way, so far I have yet to see much evidence that other potential purchasers fail to respect the "I'll take it, "PM sent" or other iterations of "licked." So, use whatever term you feel comfortable with posting in public. There isn't much use in posting to the original for sale thread that you will take something. Most sellers will already be looking for PMs or emails. Yes a PM box can be full and some sellers are subscribed to their FS threads. But mostly, it is to let other potential purchasers know that you want it. And that is ok, most folks seem to get it and abide by it. Just remember that the seller ultimately can decide to sell it to whomever they want, for whatever reason. And of course deal in their own way with the consequences or backlash if people are unhappy.
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Yes, there are different interpretations. But, they are incorrect ones as I originally stated. Iterations are something different.

And you having buy/sell transactions with no PM or email is duly noted. But not always the way it is done. here or on other forums.

Quote:
I disagree. Go back and read this thread and see the different interpretations of "licked".

Also, I've had numerous transactions both selling and buying in which no emails or PM's are exchanged.
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:16 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
http://youtu.be/QdrClZ8h_PU

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts