Old February 15th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

FS (still) International HS2.8L to rebuild

FS International HS2.8L
$6200 (US Dollars.) very firm.
Shipping not included.

Located in Central New York, USA . Originally purchased from M&D in the summer of 2005. Yes, i still have this.

Engine blew head gasket, slightly warped cylinder head, damaged top of a couple pistons, damaged one glow plug, and clogged all injection nozzles. One of the cylinders may need to be re-honed due to polishing.

Price includes the following unistalled parts:

new head gasket
machined cylinder head (5/1000ths)
new pistons (2)
new ring sets (2)
new injector nozzles (4).
new main bearings
new piston bearings
new "wrist" bearings (that's what i call em) - piston to rod bearings
new timing belt
new serpentine belt
new fuel lift pump

does not include starter motor. you may not like the fuel spill rail I re-made with Viton rubber hose - nice though.

This engine has only 5 (five) miles on it. During the 5th mile, its experienced the runaway diesel and ran uncontrollably for about one minute (seemed like an eternity). The reason for the runaway diesel was I put 6 quarts of oil in the engine when there were already break-in oil in it.

Engine is still openned up for anyones inspection. Look through my posts for some pictures.

Contact info:

emicheal@twcny.rr.com
315.751.0072 (cell)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Trying to understand your listing. Did the engine blow a head gasket and you repaired it only to have it run away ? Or is the engine in parts and the blown headgasket etc was the result of the original runaway @ 5 miles from new out of the crate ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

The engine is in parts and the blown head gasket etc was the result of the original runaway @ 5 miles new out of the crate. It has never been put back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Trying to understand your listing. Did the engine blow a head gasket and you repaired it only to have it run away ? Or is the engine in parts and the blown headgasket etc was the result of the original runaway @ 5 miles from new out of the crate ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2011, 09:40 AM
rondo
Rondo B
Defender 100

Might want to adjust your very firm price a little. A new engine can be imported out of Brazil for ~$5000... 6.2 for a broke one is aiming high.
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Can u really get one for $5000? Can u post contact info so i can confirm and will adjust price.
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondo View Post
Might want to adjust your very firm price a little. A new engine can be imported out of Brazil for ~$5000... 6.2 for a broke one is aiming high.
Via magic as they don't manufacture the engine any more?

I assume this include the M&D "kit" to fit in place of a 300TDI?
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM
skupetz
Gustaf Kupetz
NAS110, HCPU, Disco, Toylander, 2

I've looked at the engine a few years ago, seemed as though he had all the correct parts to put it back together... block looked nice as well.

You can get a brand spanking new 2.8 from M & D... 5k pounds + shipping... thats $8k + shipping for us... so???

I guess if your confident you can rebuilt micheals engine it's a decent deal... otherwise maybe not.

Maybe I missed this, Micheal which turbo did it have on it??

And lastly having just filled my 110 up with it's secound tank of.... diesel I can say the 2.8 is the bees knees!

-Gustaf
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by skupetz View Post
You can get a brand spanking new 2.8 from M & D... 5k pounds + shipping... thats $8k + shipping for us... so???
Just so we understand facts.... http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/index...egory&cat_id=1 which "kit" is this? I'm assuming kit 154 (for a 300TDI Defender)?
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by skupetz
I've looked at the engine a few years ago, seemed as though he had all the correct parts to put it back together... block looked nice as well.

I guess if your confident you can rebuilt micheals engine it's a decent deal... otherwise maybe not.

Maybe I missed this, Micheal which turbo did it have on it??

And lastly having just filled my 110 up with it's secound tank of.... diesel I can say the 2.8 is the bees knees!

-Gustaf
Thanks for the shameless plug. It is nice to hear u installed one. Njoy. 30,000 miles on mine so its just breaking in. Do u have a heater on the fuel filter? Mine gelled up on a subzero day so i just stapped an electric artic fox pad and never happened again thru even colder days.
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

http://www.disco-tech.ca/engines/

Is this the same package??
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

This is just the parts of what i call a fully dressed engine except for the starter. It includes the M&d oil pan/sump. Turbo is VNT.

It does not include any hoses to connect the engine to 300tdi cooling system and intercooler No plumbing, intercoolers, radiator, etc. I will look at m&d link u provided later to compare.
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
rondo
Rondo B
Defender 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Via magic as they don't manufacture the engine any more?
Magic? The magic of the internet? Plenty of people still dealing in these engines. As posted above you can get one brand new for $5500 Canadian.

Was the runaway anything like this?

Old February 16th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
For anyone's interest, I have all the digital manuals for the 2.8 in PDF, to include the International part manual. I have also gone through my hardcopy parts manual and identified all the LR parts numbers (common with 300tdi) of which there are many.

Michael, why didn't you just rebuild it? The owners manual has all the instructions for doing it, and the top end in particular appears (especially when pulled) very easy to do.
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
As posted above you can get one brand new for $5500 Canadian.
BS.... Please go and try and by one from Disco-Tech and see how it goes... That is an old page from a disreputable company..... Send them some money, come on, do it.....

They stopped building the engine over a year ago. SOME places like M&D bought a bunch that they still have.

Please show me a real company that can supply the engine.
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

looks like i will re build it myself.

why did I opt for a second engine instead of rebuiling this one? long story short - too much down time and too much repair cost to suspected damage - After runaway, compression down in cylnder 3 and Coolant in overflow tank was clean so originally ruled out head gasket - very serious damage to valves, rods, scratched cylinder...etc suspected. stopped investigation there and ordered new engine. when it arrived, swapped engines. when I drained coolant from damaged engine, it was loaded with oil - bingo warped head and blown head gasket was the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
For anyone's interest, I have all the digital manuals for the 2.8 in PDF, to include the International part manual. I have also gone through my hardcopy parts manual and identified all the LR parts numbers (common with 300tdi) of which there are many.

Michael, why didn't you just rebuild it? The owners manual has all the instructions for doing it, and the top end in particular appears (especially when pulled) very easy to do.
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:21 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
I don't know why people insist on shitting on peoples prices. If you really think the price is too high PM him instead of publicly saying how you can get it for less. If you can get it for less go for it. If the seller wants that much, let him try.
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:28 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Cripes Barry what would this place be if we couldn't shit on people's prices? Frankly there's a lot of used stuff being sold on here that isn't even good as garbage, yet because it supposed to fit on a Rover it gets treated like unobtanium.
I say let 'em ask whatever they want and when they're still sitting on it a year from now maybe they'll think they priced it too high.
There's lots of dentists and lawyers who have more money than brains when it comes to their Rover habit and dropping 6 large on a 700 dollar core may seem perfectly reasonable.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:50 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I prefer shitting on people
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:03 PM
skupetz
Gustaf Kupetz
NAS110, HCPU, Disco, Toylander, 2

Red90... 5k pounds was for the engine by itself.

I had chatted with Martyn (David's right hand man) at M and D this am and than saw this post so I figured I'd chim in. They buy 2.8's in batches of 500 or so, they take recivership in batches of 25 to 100 a few times a year. The assembly line has long since shut down so all these engines are in essence hand built.

Micheal.. good luck with the sale!

-Gustaf

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Tags
fs, rebuild