FS: Extended Seat Rails - New Design - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > For Sale - Parts

Old March 20th, 2011, 10:48 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

FS: Extended Seat Rails - New Design

I'd been working on a variation on the raised seat rail that I believe is now ready for production. From the photo attached you can see that they're made with a taper to minimize the amount the front of the seat is raised. This was done specifically because I fitted the Exmoor Trim Elite seats which have a thicker base than stock and with box-section rails simply sat too high for my height. I find this design also makes the seats more comfortable by reducing the angle of the seat base to be more in-line with how the foot controls are positioned.

The construction is 1/8" box with a 3/16" top welded into place. There is then an access opening in the top rail to bolt into place using an allen-key bolt. The photo is of a prototype version and the access hole on the production version is smaller as I was uncomfortable with the amount of material removed. The front can be bolted in place using any suitable bolt. The top plate is tapped to allow the seat base to bolt directly in place using the stock fasteners.

I'm now taking pre-orders for shipping around May 1st to try to get some volume up to bring costs down. The initial run will be $90/seat including shipping anywhere in Canada/ USA (Lower 48) and fully money-back warrantied if you have any problems at all with the design when you receive them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRW_5830.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	37087  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
It appears you have to drill the seatbox for these to work? What purpose does the big hole right at the front serve? Wouldn't it be better if it moved the mounting holes for the seats back a few inches like the exmoor and mud uk versions?

Also, it would be better to weld nuts inside the rail for the seat mounting bolts. With all of your engineering savvy I think you would see the benefit of this over having the minimal thread engagement of a rated fastener into 3/16" of plain HR mild steel.

Perhaps you could show one mounted to clarify exactly how they mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
I'd been working on a variation on the raised seat rail that I believe is now ready for production.
Old March 20th, 2011, 11:35 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

They bolt into the stock location mounting nuts. I think you have a good point about the tapped threads and welding on nuts is on my list of changes for the production version. The "large hole" was to use a hex bolt to secure the rears but as mentioned by using an allen key bolt this hole is made much smaller. I wanted to get any feedback before getting the production run started specifically to address any concerns of this nature.

I'll mount up the prototypes shortly and post photos to give you a better idea of how they look.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2016, 01:58 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
They bolt into the stock location mounting nuts. I think you have a good point about the tapped threads and welding on nuts is on my list of changes for the production version. The "large hole" was to use a hex bolt to secure the rears but as mentioned by using an allen key bolt this hole is made much smaller. I wanted to get any feedback before getting the production run started specifically to address any concerns of this nature. I'll mount up the prototypes shortly and post photos to give you a better idea of how they look.
Hi guys. I have a question regarding seat rail extensions. I am contemplating installing air-conditioning and I am concerned about a resulting loss of legroom. I am 6'4" and would like to have some extra room. If I add something like the MUD rail extenders, does that then raise the seat? Being 6'4", will I then be sitting too high whereas my legs would hit the under dash mount AC unit?

Edit - has anyone installed the Mulgo seat rails? Looks like they replace the standard rails so that you wouldn't be raised up at all.

http://www.expeditioncentre.com.au/o...xtensions.html

Whereas these look like they raise you an inch - http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud-seat-rails.html
Old June 5th, 2016, 05:31 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Bump. Any feedback on seats rails would be much appreciated. Trying to find if there is an option to create more legroom without raising the seat
Old June 5th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Frank84
Frank Battersby
95 D90

Yes, you'll be sitting about 1.5" higher. I'm 6'1" and have some that are similar in shape an size to the MUD ones and the under dash A/C as well. Sitting back farther is great but sitting higher is not. I don't think you'll have an issue with the under dash A/C because of the seat rails - it made no difference on mine.
Old June 5th, 2016, 11:18 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisblo View Post
Bump. Any feedback on seats rails would be much appreciated. Trying to find if there is an option to create more legroom without raising the seat
I am 6' 4" and I raised the seat 1" as well as back 2"

I personally prefer to have the front of the seat to be elevated for my height as it provides better leg support (6' 4" people understand the leg length issue!) for my butt and doesn't focus my upper body weight on one small area. I don't have ac but with my seating position don't see why it would be an issue. If we have another sw style summer I may have to look into it! (The last 2 days have been 100 here in the PNW on the wet side of the mountains!)
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:24 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingRyan View Post
I am 6' 4" and I raised the seat 1" as well as back 2" I personally prefer to have the front of the seat to be elevated for my height as it provides better leg support (6' 4" people understand the leg length issue!) for my butt and doesn't focus my upper body weight on one small area. I don't have ac but with my seating position don't see why it would be an issue. If we have another sw style summer I may have to look into it! (The last 2 days have been 100 here in the PNW on the wet side of the mountains!)
Thanks guys. Are there any seat rail options that provide more leg room without raising your seat?
Old June 6th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Frank84
Frank Battersby
95 D90

Not that I've seen.
Old June 6th, 2016, 09:29 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank84 View Post